+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: O/T A tragedy

O/T A tragedy

Last week we heard the news that the music teacher at our local high school had been involved in an accident on holiday. For as long as we remember he has touched the lives of just about everyone in this community who has had kids go through the school. He'd been found unconscious in the water in southern California while surfing and despite tests no reason as to why could be established. He was in a bad way, needed CPR and was placed into a medically induced coma where he remained for 5 days until yesterday when he sadly died. A tragedy!

But that's not the only tragedy, his family are now seeking help to pay his medical bills. If you're thinking $500 or maybe $1,000 then multiply those two together. Yes, $500,000. How can 5-6 days of medical care cost that much money you ask? So do I.....and people knock the NHS?

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Last week we heard the news that the music teacher at our local high school had been involved in an accident on holiday. For as long as we remember he has touched the lives of just about everyone in this community who has had kids go through the school. He'd been found unconscious in the water in southern California while surfing and despite tests no reason as to why could be established. He was in a bad way, needed CPR and was placed into a medically induced coma where he remained for 5 days until yesterday when he sadly died. A tragedy!

But that's not the only tragedy, his family are now seeking help to pay his medical bills. If you're thinking $500 or maybe $1,000 then multiply those two together. Yes, $500,000. How can 5-6 days of medical care cost that much money you ask? So do I.....and people knock the NHS?
    Indeed, food for thought for those actively supporting the gov't in it's wicked campaign of privatsation...RIP to the teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by millmoormagic View Post
    Indeed, food for thought for those actively supporting the gov't in it's wicked campaign of privatsation...RIP to the teacher.

Yeah everything should be free as long as it's paid for by somebody else.

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Yeah everything should be free as long as it's paid for by somebody else.
    It's not paid by somebody else is it, we ALL pay for it.....for the many, not the few....get it yet?

What percentage of a salary do people have to pay for full health insurance across the pond compared to what we pay through taxation in the U.K.?

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post

RIP to the teacher

Equipment he would have needed won't be cheap so no surprise with the cost
    Surely he had medical insurance and life insurance?

It's not paid by somebody else is it, we ALL pay for it.....for the many, not the few....get it yet?

Almost half of Britons pay no income tax while the richest are now shouldering the biggest burden on record, a new analysis has found.

The Institute for Fiscal Studies said that the proportion of working-age adults who do not pay income tax has risen from 34.3 per cent to 43.8 per cent, equivalent to 23million people.

Over the same period the amount of income tax paid by the richest 1 per cent has risen from 24.4 per cent to 27.5 per cent, meaning that 300,000 people pay more than a quarter of the nation's income tax.

I think it's you that doesn't "get it"

Quote Originally Posted by loyalmiller View Post
    What percentage of a salary do people have to pay for full health insurance across the pond compared to what we pay through taxation in the U.K.?
    I pay about 8% into Social Security that covers pension and some basic healthcare in retirement. Luckily my employer pays most of my health insurance but if I was paying it would be about 18% of my gross income. If I was out of work I'd probably be able to buy some basic coverage for me and my daughters for around $1,000 per month.

Don't know the specifics of the teacher's situation but he would have had health and life insurance through his employer. The $500K is what is being reported that the family need to raise. Most insurance only covers 80% of costs and that 20% you are left with can be extortionate e.g. I know someone who needed heart surgery and his 20% was $250K. Luckily most policies have an annual max you have to pay, above which all costs are covered. Mine is $18K so I dont know why the teacher's situation differs so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Almost half of Britons pay no income tax while the richest are now shouldering the biggest burden on record, a new analysis has found.

The Institute for Fiscal Studies said that the proportion of working-age adults who do not pay income tax has risen from 34.3 per cent to 43.8 per cent, equivalent to 23million people.

Over the same period the amount of income tax paid by the richest 1 per cent has risen from 24.4 per cent to 27.5 per cent, meaning that 300,000 people pay more than a quarter of the nation's income tax.

I think it's you that doesn't "get it"
    Are we talking income tax or National insurance??? the last time i looked NI pays for the NHS, what has income tax got to do with anything.....

Are we talking income tax or National insurance??? the last time i looked NI pays for the NHS, what has income tax got to do with anything.....
    I think that is how it started MM but now it just all goes into the treasury coffers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast