+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Strikers

Quote Originally Posted by rodcurrie View Post
    Why are you and Marvin creepin round Wyatt Earp's(Jos) deputy? Once we get a offer for young BROOKSY he'll be gone but not before we've told the buyin club to cut their accepted offer by 75% tho.This post of mine was posted in jest by the way,just in case anyone thinks i was bein serious.Have a good day BLADES,see ya'll laters. UTCB

Agree Rod. Wenger, well Mr McCabe, we will give you twenty million for young David.

KK, no no Arsene. Very generous but too much. We will lose around £6m this year so just give us a couple of million to help out. After all, it's only my money.....

Fan - I knew it........

Quote Originally Posted by Currieisgod View Post
    Out of the strikers we have I think Ched is the key as if he is anything like the player he was before he went away then Billy would certainly benefit from this.

Out of the others - Lavery and Clark, I would have said that Lavery would be the better choice but Leon came back from injury last season a different player and his experience at Championship level could get him the nod over Lavs.

Hanson seems to be overlooked altogether as it looks like his pace (or lack of it) may be a problem at Championship level although for me his physical presence could be a factor in certain situations like for example when we need a target man to hold things up a bit up top.

The emergence of young Brooks is also refreshing as he certainly has the pace and quality to become the first (or second) name on the team sheet when it comes to our attacking midfielder options,

I reckon CW has enough untried options to keep us going until January when we can all then make a judgment on how things have gone and how we should move forward.

A lot also depends on where we are come January and just what do we expect in our first season back after 6 years?.

I would be happy at a mid table position come January and who knows, we could really kick on from there.
    Good post mate. If we can get Evans fit and scoring I think him and Billy could make a decent partnership with Lavery as back up. If it not convinced about Clarke or Hanson doing it though, I wonder if one or even both will be sold, but they're both on long contacts so it depends on who could afford them or eir wages in the leagues below.

Quote Originally Posted by Holden_C View Post
    Agree Rod. Wenger, well Mr McCabe, we will give you twenty million for young David.

KK, no no Arsene. Very generous but too much. We will lose around £6m this year so just give us a couple of million to help out. After all, it's only my money.....

Fan - I knew it........
    This fan that you speak of H, he sounds a bit ITK.

Quote Originally Posted by GrayBlade View Post
    Good post mate. If we can get Evans fit and scoring I think him and Billy could make a decent partnership with Lavery as back up. If it not convinced about Clarke or Hanson doing it though, I wonder if one or even both will be sold, but they're both on long contacts so it depends on who could afford them or eir wages in the leagues below.
    I personally don't see Clarke ot Hanson being sold Gray. Not unless we are having a mare, and Tufty deciides on a different plan anyway. They are both very different players, and useful in different ways. Other scenario is Cheds injuries. Will he sustain more & more and be of little use thus forcing Tufty into bringing in another striker? We'll know more in a few weeks maybe.

One thing Christopher has tried a few times pre season is having just the one striker,supported by 2 players playing slightly deeper,Lavery supported by Brooks and Thomas at Chesterfield being an example of this,maybe this will be seen this season?

Did it at the end on Tuesday as well

Hanson hasn't been overlooked CIG he's injured,when he is fit he will get some pitch time as he offers something completely different to all the others,I'd expect to see more of him away from BDTBL though when we're digging in and trying to eek a result out

Quote Originally Posted by bulmer1889 View Post
    Did it at the end on Tuesday as well

Hanson hasn't been overlooked CIG he's injured,when he is fit he will get some pitch time as he offers something completely different to all the others,I'd expect to see more of him away from BDTBL though when we're digging in and trying to eek a result out
    Possibly, the City fans said that he was as useful in defence as up front, so against the bigger sides he'd definitely be an asset.

Quote Originally Posted by BlockD View Post
    One thing Christopher has tried a few times pre season is having just the one striker,supported by 2 players playing slightly deeper,Lavery supported by Brooks and Thomas at Chesterfield being an example of this,maybe this will be seen this season?
    Yep I noticed that BD, I suppose it doesn't matter who scores the goals as long as somebody does.

Quote Originally Posted by GrayBlade View Post
    Possibly, the City fans said that he was as useful in defence as up front, so against the bigger sides he'd definitely be an asset.
    He'll defend from the front win headers or at least stop defenders clearing straight back giving our defence some breathing space and of course be useful at the back from corners,this type of player doesn't need to be blessed with electric pace to be effective you only have to look at peter crouch on Tuesday night when he came on won just about everything laid it off well kept possession and was a threat when the ball was delivered into the box

Quote Originally Posted by bulmer1889 View Post
    I'd be amazed if we bought a striker,it's got to be a loanee for me as to who I'll leave that to the professionals

Regarding young brooks CW is goin to have to manage him sir Alex style I feel,the expectation as he came on was immense the lad has been hyped up and fans who have not seen him are expecting great things,so far he's delivered but he won't all the time,I hope he gets some slack like some of our other youngsters were afforded,I think chris will use him as an impact player in the last 15/20 mins of games and try to keep the expectation levels of him low
    Agree with all that Bully. I fear the expectations of many supporters are way too high. We who have seen him a good number of times are aware that there are times, and indeed whole games where he is fairly ineffective. The lad is only just turned 20 and a joy to watch when what he tries to do "comes off" - but it isn't going to come off every time - and people should not expect it to.
    To date, he has never had to mix it with hardened Championship defenders who will resort to any means to get the points for their team.
    Experienced and very expensive opponents do not like to be made to look incompetent by any one, let alone a very young lad.
    Please, let's wait and see what happens in competitive games, before we all get too excited.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast