+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do we need Leonard now ?

Do we need Leonard now ?

He was the one target I wanted us to sign as he seems the perfect foil for Fleck and Coutts. I don't know much about Lundstrum but Alan Knills comments that he is the best up and coming talent out of L1 & 2 (with the exception of Ollie Watkins) sounds good to me. The view seems to be he could be the defensive midfielder, so do we need Leonard ?. What money we have left surely needs to go on another CB and Keeper. As usual in Wilder we trust of course.

I don't know if it'll be Leonard but I think we do need somebody in that mould mate. An up and down the pitch, break up play and pass it on type, I think only Basham fits the bill currently and he's doing well at CB. I'd leave him there.

As for as I can glean from the forums, Lundstrum is a fine young player but more in the Coutts mould. Great passer of the ball but not too good defensively or in the tackle. I think Wilder's looking for somebody more in the Monty role to protect the back four as far as I can see, but maybe a bit more comfortable on the ball and a pit of pace. No doubt they'll be some games where we could see Fleck, Coutts, Carruthers and Lundstrum all on the pitch together if a game's going well. What a passing fest that would be.

I don't know enough about these various targets to pass much of an opinion, but the one I would prefer of all those touted, is Lenighan. We appear to have some sort of cover in every position except CB and 'keeper. As CB's tend to pick up a lot of yellow (and occasional red) cards, and there is always the risk of injury, I think that CB and 'keeper are now the two most urgent requirements.
    As (old man) Clough used to do - build from the back with a very strong spine.
    But as always - in CW & AK we trust.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieWaldock View Post
    I don't know enough about these various targets to pass much of an opinion, but the one I would prefer of all those touted, is Lenighan. We appear to have some sort of cover in every position except CB and 'keeper. As CB's tend to pick up a lot of yellow (and occasional red) cards, and there is always the risk of injury, I think that CB and 'keeper are now the two most urgent requirements.
    As (old man) Clough used to do - build from the back with a very strong spine.
    But as always - in CW & AK we trust.
    Too true Ronnie, which makes it even more astonishing that Clough junior decided he's could almost go through a whole season without a recognised dedicated centr back. I agree about the CB and Keeper by the way, but I also think we need to leave Basham where huge is and get a DCM.

Reading Roy's views on lundstram isn't a defensive midfielder as he can't tackle comes across as very similar to coutts so that's cover for that position,so Leonard still wanted as they have intimated on subsequent interviews

Quote Originally Posted by bulmer1889 View Post
    Reading Roy's views on lundstram isn't a defensive midfielder as he can't tackle comes across as very similar to coutts so that's cover for that position,so Leonard still wanted as they have intimated on subsequent interviews
    I've been making that exact same point out to a few on S2 who thought we'd got enough CM in after Knill's comments. We need somebody in the mould of a Monty or even Macca can break play up and protect the back four while the others play the beautiful game.

Are there any new Trevor Hockeys out there I wonder?

agree with you ronnie lenighan is the one i would like in definetly need another centre back anyway and chris seems really keen on him doubt club will go above 1.5 however wonder if they fancy brayford ? as for leonard if we have the money available i would up the offer lundstum looks like competing with coutts for that role so still room for a box to box player to come in

Leonard IMO is a must sign. We would then have quality AND depth for every midfield permutation.

still got a feeling leonard might come in could be a couple of hundred k well spent if thats all it will take

Talking about Clough and his signings I see Jay Mac has penned a 1 year deal with Tranmere

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast