+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Memory Lane - Notts Open Barcelona’s New Stadium

I’ve often seen it mentioned that Notts are the only English team that Barcelona have played, that they have failed to beat.

Apart from the two games mentioned in this thread, the Magpies played 3 games against Barcelona in 1914. The first two games Notts won 2-0 and 4-0 respectively. The final game of that tour was a 10-3 victory for the Pies.

After a bit of research I think I’ve come up with a more impressive record.

Notts County are the only non-Spanish team to put 10 goals past Barcelona. I reckon that’s got a better ring to it.

Wonderful read 60YearsAPie thanks very much. My Italian nephew is a Barca supporter (don't ask) I'll be using the 10-3 info to wind him up when I'm in Sorrento over the New Year...

Quote Originally Posted by Wedgie_pie View Post
    Wonderful read 60YearsAPie thanks very much. My Italian nephew is a Barca supporter (don't ask) I'll be using the 10-3 info to wind him up when I'm in Sorrento over the New Year...
    Very interesting stuff. From a non-footballing perspective it's also interesting to note that the posters advertising the game seem to be written in Catalan rather than Spanish, something that would be unthinkable (not to mention illegal) a decade and a half later.

Great read, bring back the stripes.

Very interesting. It prompted me to look up the history of the offside rule and it appears that in 1922 the rule still had 'three opponents' where today's rule is 'two opponents'. The change from three to two occurred in 1925.

In the line-up photo the leftmost player is listed as Death, which you would think would be a great name for a centre-half (undoubtedly the formation would have been 2-3-5). That name is usually rendered as De'ath so I wonder if that's a typo?

Quote Originally Posted by 51Magpie View Post
    Very interesting. It prompted me to look up the history of the offside rule and it appears that in 1922 the rule still had 'three opponents' where today's rule is 'two opponents'. The change from three to two occurred in 1925.
    Notts were renowned for the their use of the offside trap in the eatly 1920s, we had an England player in defence. The change of rules apparently ruined us and we were instantly relegated having been top of the top flight for a spell in the previous season (Fword finished rock bottom that year). So things could have been very different if the old rule had persisted for another decade or so.

Quote Originally Posted by 51Magpie View Post

In the line-up photo the leftmost player is listed as Death, which you would think would be a great name for a centre-half (undoubtedly the formation would have been 2-3-5). That name is usually rendered as De'ath so I wonder if that's a typo?
    Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Notts were renowned for the their use of the offside trap in the eatly 1920s, we had an England player in defence. The change of rules apparently ruined us and we were instantly relegated having been top of the top flight for a spell in the previous season (Fword finished rock bottom that year). So things could have been very different if the old rule had persisted for another decade or so.
    Interesting comments about the offside rule, which I was unaware of. This would explain the comment about Barcelona being continually caught offside in the first game. Also explains why both full-backs stayed back in the second match.

I'm sure I've also seen Billy Death spelt De'ath. If you google him or check in the Notts history books though it's spelt Death. He came from Rotherham and having failed to find a regular place in Notts' team, moved to Mansfield.

Name:  W Death.JPG
Views: 671
Size:  68.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 60YearsAPie View Post

I'm sure I've also seen Billy Death spelt De'ath. If you google him or check in the Notts history books though it's spelt Death. He came from Rotherham and having failed to find a regular place in Notts' team, moved to Mansfield.
    I know a D'Aeth family (not from these parts) and they make big efforts not to sound it like "death".

The entry at http://www.britishsurnames.co.uk/surname/death/ reads

DEATH. " Death" was a common character in the medieval mystei-ies or miracle plays : but this surname is probably derived from a local source. Aeth is a place in Flanders, and the family of Deatli or D'Aeth of Knowlton, baronets, are asserted to have come from that locality. See IBurke's Ext, Baronetage.

I suspect someone along the line way back got fed up with explaining how to write and say it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12