+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hodge and Hunt

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSmithRules View Post
    One can only hope these last five signings are on short-term contracts (ie til Xmas) until they either play out of their skin or we find better.
    Crewe ***** seem to think Saunders got a 1 year deal.

As announced on their official site yesterday evening, Notts County have announced the signing of former Crewe Alexandra forward Callum Saunders following a trial at the club on a one-year deal.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSmithRules View Post
    One can only hope these last five signings are on short-term contracts (ie til Xmas) until they either play out of their skin or we find better.
    Probably all five are on low wage maximum one year contracts, which brings us back to the 'quality over quantity' argument. Though they add numbers to the squad, you have wonder what part any of them will play in the first team. If only a couple of them make a worthwhile contribution it will be a decent move, but I can't help but think that two players of better quality would have been preferable.

Jake Wright is on trial and has scored for Notts against Ilkeston tonight. Given that no-one ever fails a trial, you can add him to the list. In fairness, he might be OK, though he is 31 now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jake_Wright

Or is it a different Jake Wright? I saw a picture against Carlton in which he looks about 17 years old. Confused now.

Notts County will continue to look at Sheffield United striker Jake Wright providing the Blades striker hasn’t broken his hand.

Jesus, how can Sheffield United have two players called Jake Wright?

http://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/...on-town-252953
    Last edited by Bohinen; 01-08-2017 at 08:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bohinen View Post
    Jake Wright is on trial and has scored for Notts against Ilkeston tonight. Given that no-one ever fails a trial, you can add him to the list. In fairness, he might be OK, though he is 31 now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jake_Wright
    How big is our squad now?

Haha no one fails a trial. Hodge has been at Lincoln for the last 2 years and couldn't get a game in the league below so clearly quality.

I feel all of a sudden that someone is taking the raving piss. #championship.

Quote Originally Posted by DomdomPie View Post
    I can understand Hunt. Experienced backup right-back. Makes sense as Hewitt's shown it's not his best position.

Hodge.... no idea!
    Old pals act with Hunt?

Quote Originally Posted by JoePass View Post

I am just a fan, the manager knows what he wants, that's fine by me. Unless you are a wannabe manager.

We've had a long line of managers who knew what they wanted, and most of them got it. Didn't do us any good though.

If there's a moral to the story of recent years, it's that managers should not always be given what they want without question (or chief scouts for that matter). These so-called experts have not moved us forward at all.

Signing Elliott Hodge is just ridiculous. After Nolan's comments about finding it really difficult to release players earlier in the summer, I'm beginning to fear this manager is too nice.
    Last edited by jackal2; 01-08-2017 at 11:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    If there's a moral to the story of recent years, it's that managers should not always be given what they want without question (or chief scouts for that matter). These so-called experts have not moved us forward at all.
    If there's a moral to the story, then it's find and retain a manager who is good at spotting and developing players (and motivating and organising them too!) - an 'expert' capable of moving us forward.

It's possible that we have just such a man in place - all this worryworting and 'serious doubts' are just blindly second-guessing KN until we see how his Notts perform.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    We've had a long line of managers who knew what they wanted, and most of them got it. Didn't do us any good though.

Signing Elliott Hodge is just ridiculous. After Nolan's comments about finding it really difficult to release players earlier in the summer, I'm beginning to fear this manager is too nice.

why the fear Jackal .
    this is the manager that took over a team that was nose diving at 100 mph into the conference and turned them into a top six form league team.
    I think it shows he can organise a team and improve players who are poor on confidence and possibly ability
    Just maybe he can spot a decent player to ?

Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheFisherman66 View Post
    why the fear Jackal .
    this is the manager that took over a team that was nose diving at 100 mph into the conference and turned them into a top six form league team.
    I think it shows he can organise a team and improve players who are poor on confidence and possibly ability
    Just maybe he can spot a decent player to ?
    It seems like we're essentially putting together an U-21/reserve team with the belief we can develop them into future 1st teamers.

Nice idea if true, but recent attempts at this haven't worked in the slightest.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast