+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Playing Budget Used For Ilson' Purchase???

Quote Originally Posted by jacobncfc View Post
    They didn't perform woefully for the majority of the season, though. That's statistically just complete *******s.
    Notts County 0-0 Mansfield, Nolan's first game in charge, was our 34th game of the season, we played 54 games in total last season. Obviously we weren't "woeful" in every one of the 33 games before Nolan but overall you'd have to say that we had performed woefully up until that point and fully deserved to be where we were in the league (and we were out of all cup competitions).

Quote Originally Posted by ancientpie View Post
    After the last few seasons I think that most of us would have happily accepted that if only Alan hadn't gone shouting his mouth off on twitter. I accept that it is his job to "rally the fans" & sell STs but coming so soon after last owner doing similar things it has upset some & I only hope that we get off to a reasonable start so the fans back AH & KN like they did last season, at the moment I think it could go either way & at the end of the day it's what happens on the pitch that matters, bring on Coventry COYP.
    That is the crux of the matter. He should have said that this was to be a season of consolidation.

Quote Originally Posted by DelroyFacey22 View Post
    Notts County 0-0 Mansfield, Nolan's first game in charge, was our 34th game of the season, we played 54 games in total last season. Obviously we weren't "woeful" in every one of the 33 games before Nolan but overall you'd have to say that we had performed woefully up until that point and fully deserved to be where we were in the league (and we were out of all cup competitions).
    I still think it's misleading, though, because we had that ten game spell where we were as bad as I've ever seen a football team be. The games before we entered that run, we won at Portsmouth and drew with Luton and were on the edge of the automatic promotion places.

Whether that run of defeats was a fair reflection of the team's ability or a result of outside factors such as the owner trying to sell, not being paid and having nowhere to train is something to argue about - but the fact that we reverted to play-off form once those things were solved suggests to me that it was the first.

I'd actually view keeping the majority of last season's team together as a positive. Hardy's comments about wow signings were stupid and unhelpful, but I like to step back and take a rational look at things - we've kept together the core of a team that showed play-off form for three quarters of last season, strengthened the obvious weak areas (a central defensive partner for Duffy and the wide positions) with players proven at this level and still have the manager who did so well with them.

It's not been perfect - we're probably a central midfielder and striker short of what i'd ideally have wanted and the spree of back up signings strikes me as largely pointless - but I find it hard to see how the summer's work can be viewed as anything but mostly positive.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    31 palyers???
    That sounds about right, whatever they are! (Male milkmaids, sponge bucket carriers?)

@Jacob

It probably is slightly misleading but I'd say it's probably the view of a lot of Notts fans whether it's right or wrong, it's why a lot of people will say Duffy isn't good enough despite him barely putting a foot wrong since Nolan came in.

I also said after the Wigan game I think we're a CM and a striker short (and a CB or two but we've sinced signed Brisley). I've also said previously that keeping a lot from last season might actually help us out too, maybe I've contradicted myself and I am actually just annoyed at Alan Hardy's comments afterall?

I think one or two more GOOD quality signings would make me pretty happy with our transfer activity, random youngsters on loan aren't going to appease anyone at the moment though even if they turn out to be the next Jack Grealish and Calum McGregor.

Quote Originally Posted by pravda_plc View Post
    No 'WOW' factor signings. The Noble deal cash not spent. These are points raised on other posts. I'm still at a loss as to Hardy's motivation in buying Ilkeston Town FC. Is it just another ego trip? Look at me, I own 2 football clubs!

The ground belongs to Erewash Borough Council and the club have no obvious saleable assets, so what's in it for Hardy and more importantly what did he pay to acquire it? Trew allegedly acquired Notts for a quid, so IMO Hardy can't have paid a deal for a bankrupt, small time non-league club.

I guess he's got a possible training ground on the cheap and we could send out a lot of our kids and newly purchased squad fillers to play at Ilson' . For me, i'd rather he'd concentrated on Notts and spent the available cash on some better quality signings.
    Get Real !!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by uysapie View Post
    That is the crux of the matter. He should have said that this was to be a season of consolidation.
    I think if you look back that is exactly what Nolan suggested he dismissed a promotion challenge and stated that he saw this season as one to build the platform for promotion as he wanted to go up and stay up not slip back down again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridg4d_Pie_ View Post
    I think if you look back that is exactly what Nolan suggested he dismissed a promotion challenge and stated that he saw this season as one to build the platform for promotion as he wanted to go up and stay up not slip back down again.
    New indoor peatch.................

https://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/news...tch-installed/

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    I think you will find the new indoor pitch paid for by Life Line, next please.

Trouble is Oldsripy our kids will never progress as there are no games for them to play in when they become 18 years old, no reserve team so they just drift out of the game. Then we sign total crap so the younger players can't progress. Ilson allegedly went under for 14k and had 600k debts with 100k assets. Will never be a training ground and never at a level to loan young players where they too can progress. As said maybe that's AH's level when all said and done?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast