+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Playing Budget Used For Ilson' Purchase???

Agreed but I think a few might well make the bench.

Callum Saunders, (an unlikely impact sub), with the winner in the 90th minute...

Quote Originally Posted by pravda_plc View Post
    Swale, as instigator of this thread I want to be clear that I am not having a poke at Hardy, ( yet!).

I find him hugely entertaining and frustrating in equal measures - unlike Ray Trew who was dull as dishwater and incompetent to boot. Some of Hardy's social media antics are great to read but he clearly doesn't know when to shut the f**k up. If I had his kind of money I would probably be the same.

Both Hardy and Nolan are relative novices in the transfer market, so it will be very interesting to see how the latest crop of QUOTE: " squad fillers", "has-beens" and "no-hopers" fare. I think we will have a better idea come 5.00 p.m. on Saturday...

COYP !!!
    I don't but we will by christmas. When all our OAP's are injured.

Quote Originally Posted by DomdomPie View Post
    I can't imagine many of the "squad filler" players will play on Saturday.

That's the trouble - the starting 11 virtually picks itself with this squad.
    Please enlighten the rest of us and name the starting line up

Quote Originally Posted by pravda_plc View Post
    Agreed but I think a few might well make the bench.

Callum Saunders, (an unlikely impact sub), with the winner in the 90th minute...

Did you go to Basford Tuesday evening for the game against Ilkeston, Saunders scored 2 good goals.

The first half was very entertaining, I said to my sister when watching town warm up that I thought town would win because they looked bigger and stronger than our kids.

How wrong I was, I've not seen a Notts team with so much pace for a long time, all of them were too quick for the town players, Sam Osbourne terrorised their right back he must have been relived when he did not appear in the second half.

If those young players continue to progress we will have some very good players to watch in a couple of years.

Aystewood Al does a turn on the Mike Rophone.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40813916

And Los nombres de la squad.

https://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/news...-announcement/

31 palyers???

I think the Wow signings is what may have caused the problem here. It's raised peoples expectations and ultimately with whom we have signed appears to have left some people underwhelmed.

This may work in the clubs favour in that there appears to be little or no pressure or expectation on this squad. Unlike up the A60 where I get the impression that if they don't hit the ground running then fans will be quick to turn.

We know from the second part of last season that KN appears to be good at making the total sum of all the parts better than the individuals. If he can maintain the consistency over a full season then a mid table with a sniff of the play-offs could be possible. Who knows?

Let's look at reality in that the club was/is losing £1.6m a year, and in turmoil and looking like going out of the football league with a whimper at Christmas after a number of years going backwards and declining. This is not sustainable. Now for fans it's not palatable to say during a close season look guys we'll probably have to be shrewd with our signings and budget to try and consolidate and stabilise the club this season and put infrastructure in place that any professional football league club should have.

I can understand peoples arguments saying yes but we have spent money on the pitch, the owner has brought a local non-league club and renovated the changing rooms which is a bit like what Mr Trew did with the executive boxes and conference and banqueting suites, but to progress we need to have the best facilities and infrastructure in place. We need the best pitch possible, and it's criminal that as a league club we have not had a proper training ground to call our own for some years.

It might require patience which fans do not have as we all want instant success. Maybe a season of mid table mediocrity with a shout of play-offs could be the best progress we can hope for this year? But then again maybe this squad will surprise many.

This constant 'Noble money' complaint is really weird. People do know that isn't how transfers work... right?

Just because we offered £100k for one particular player doesn't mean that we are legally bound to sign someone for a £100k fee for this summer. Maybe we used it to pay Forest a loan fee to secure Grant? Or to offer Brisley the wages needed to rip up his Carlisle contract and relocate? Or maybe we decided that there isn't a player out there who we can realistically sign for £100k and believe is worth it?

I'm not even sure the "wow signings" thing is that big a part of it but it certainly doesn't help.

I think the main problem is the fact that we retained so much of last seasons squad that performed woefully for the majority of the season (and fans won't forget that) regardless of how Nolan kept us up with them in the end.

After retaining so much of last seasons squad the players that we bring in on top of those should have been improvements, not back ups to the players that spent half the season breaking records for being sh*t.

Edit: And Jacob, I thought the people complaining at the thought of signing Noble for 100k said there was a long list of players that we could get for that kind of money instead of him?

Quote Originally Posted by DelroyFacey22 View Post
    I'm not even sure the "wow signings" thing is that big a part of it but it certainly doesn't help.

I think the main problem is the fact that we retained so much of last seasons squad that performed woefully for the majority of the season (and fans won't forget that) regardless of how Nolan kept us up with them in the end.

After retaining so much of last seasons squad the players that we bring in on top of those should have been improvements, not back ups to the players that spent half the season breaking records for being sh*t.
    They didn't perform woefully for the majority of the season, though. That's statistically just complete *******s.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    I think the Wow signings is what may have caused the problem here. It's raised peoples expectations and ultimately with whom we have signed appears to have left some people underwhelmed.

This may work in the clubs favour in that there appears to be little or no pressure or expectation on this squad. Unlike up the A60 where I get the impression that if they don't hit the ground running then fans will be quick to turn.

We know from the second part of last season that KN appears to be good at making the total sum of all the parts better than the individuals. If he can maintain the consistency over a full season then a mid table with a sniff of the play-offs could be possible. Who knows?

Let's look at reality in that the club was/is losing £1.6m a year, and in turmoil and looking like going out of the football league with a whimper at Christmas after a number of years going backwards and declining. This is not sustainable. Now for fans it's not palatable to say during a close season look guys we'll probably have to be shrewd with our signings and budget to try and consolidate and stabilise the club this season and put infrastructure in place that any professional football league club should have.

I can understand peoples arguments saying yes but we have spent money on the pitch, the owner has brought a local non-league club and renovated the changing rooms which is a bit like what Mr Trew did with the executive boxes and conference and banqueting suites, but to progress we need to have the best facilities and infrastructure in place. We need the best pitch possible, and it's criminal that as a league club we have not had a proper training ground to call our own for some years.

It might require patience which fans do not have as we all want instant success. Maybe a season of mid table mediocrity with a shout of play-offs could be the best progress we can hope for this year? But then again maybe this squad will surprise many.
    After the last few seasons I think that most of us would have happily accepted that if only Alan hadn't gone shouting his mouth off on twitter. I accept that it is his job to "rally the fans" & sell STs but coming so soon after last owner doing similar things it has upset some & I only hope that we get off to a reasonable start so the fans back AH & KN like they did last season, at the moment I think it could go either way & at the end of the day it's what happens on the pitch that matters, bring on Coventry COYP.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldstripy View Post
    Please enlighten the rest of us and name the starting line up
    Ha-ha! I suspected someone would call me out!

I'd say that these players are very likely to start: Collin, Tootle, Jones, Duffy, Brisley, Milson, Grant, Alessandra, one or both of Stead/Ameobi.

That leaves 1 or 2 places up for grabs, but I'd be surprised if too many of the above are left out. Happy to be proven wrong if Nolan goes with a different team and we win!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast