+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Importance of that first game...

Importance of that first game...

Being Notts County, this site will be jumping around like a box of frogs if Coventry give us a going over on Saturday. The doom scenario will be repeated over and over.
    But how important is it to win that first game?
    Of the 7 teams who finished up at the top of Notts division last season, only two won their first game of the season. Two finished up as draws and three actually lost. One of the losers (0-3 at home to Blackpool) was Plymouth, who went on to win the division.
    I seem to recall some seasons ago in league 1 the team that went on to win the division losing their first game either 0-8 or 1-8. Can anyone out there recall who and when it was?
    So a bit of decorum, eh chaps. Win, lose or draw (and my money's on that), there are 45 more games to play.

Norwich lost 7-1 at home to Colchester in 2009.

2009 Norwich lost to Colchester 7-1 and went on to win the league finishing on 95 points. The same day we beat Bradford 5-0.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    Being Notts County, this site will be jumping around like a box of frogs if Coventry give us a going over on Saturday. The doom scenario will be repeated over and over ...

So a bit of decorum, eh chaps. Win, lose or draw (and my money's on that), there are 45 more games to play.
    I see Sid is getting his moaning about the moaners in early. Most likely we will win owing to having minutes in legs and employing two banks of four. The actual thread titles will then be along the lines of 'Where are all the Hardy haters now'.

Btw, we will win 4-1 and the goalscorers will be Daniel Jones (who won't attack anyone), Liam Walker, Callum Saunders and A Trialist.
    Last edited by Bohinen; 03-08-2017 at 09:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bohinen View Post
    I see Sid is getting his moaning about the moaners in early. Most likely we will win owing to having minutes in legs and employing two banks of four. The actual thread titles will then be along the lines of 'Where are all the Hardy haters now'.
    If the cap fits, Bo, don't let me stop you wearing it.

Thanks Marky et al for correcting me that it was 1-7 NOT 1-8 and identifying the team as NCFC (the other one). How inbarrassing!

One of the losers (0-3 at home to Blackpool) was Plymouth, who went on to win the division.
    A few Portsmouth fans are going to be disappointed when they find that out!

Quote Originally Posted by Bohinen View Post
    I see Bohinen is getting his moaning about the moaners who moan about moaning in early, not to mention his where are the "Where are all the Hardy haters now" bit. The oily worm, the early wheel and all that. It's verily like circle in a spiral, a wheel within a wheel. Did the FA really just send us to Coventry?

If the cap fits, Bo, don't let me stop you wearing it.
    The cap hasn't even been made yet. Oh, and we won 5-0 that day, so does that mean we finished bottom? Nope, we were top.

I have seen a dew opening day defeats for us which did indeed signal a season of doom. But losing at Coventry is no big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by SolSigns View Post
    I see Bohinen is getting his moaning about the moaners who moan about moaning in early, not to mention his where are the "Where are all the Hardy haters now" bit. The oily worm, the early wheel and all that. It's verily like circle in a spiral, a wheel within a wheel.
    If the cap which hasn't been made yet fits then wear it. You won't start that thread anyway but you will agree with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    A few Portsmouth fans are going to be disappointed when they find that out!
    Hmmm, did I say win? I meant 'finish runners-up'. Of course I did. Pompey drew their first game that day.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast