+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: 5 academy contracts

5 academy contracts

Sorry as this just extends another recent thread but you know me, creating threads is what I do best 😁

BPF Coyle Denton Phillips Vieira have all signed either new or extended contracts this summer, imo this is great as it's 5 young English players developed by our academy and all given a taste of what first team football is like at Leeds united. If shaughnessy does well this season he may well follow the same fate.

It's good that both radrizzani and christiansen have seen that these guys are worth keeping, let's hope we keep bringing through academy graduates!

MOT!!!

what did I tell l, I said Shaughnessy could get one, and now he has, well done Conor!

Love to see the academy develop talent.

However, Clive, I think you worry too much about "English talent". Football's a world sport and unfortunately the English squad's not been very good the last 3 decades or so. I think you develop as much talent as anyone but the English league also uses a lot of that talent. You limit yourself if you go too much toward any one country as a feeder source.

Most of the worlds best teams are blends of world players.

Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by spaldy View Post
    Love to see the academy develop talent.

However, Clive, I think you worry too much about "English talent". Football's a world sport and unfortunately the English squad's not been very good the last 3 decades or so. I think you develop as much talent as anyone but the English league also uses a lot of that talent. You limit yourself if you go too much toward any one country as a feeder source.

Most of the worlds best teams are blends of world players.

Just my 2 cents.
    Unsurprisingly, I'm with Clive . I agree that football is a world sport (industry?), but the reason the English squad hasn't been very good for a long time is the degree to which the top clubs in the top divisions (PL, Championship), have sought to employ foreign players in the pursuit of success at club level, without any controls being imposed by the footballing authorities, limiting the opportunity to develop top class English players.

At club level, the "blend" philosophy works, (at least in terms of buying success and the financial rewards that go with it), but without limitation, it throttles the pipeline of home-grown talent (and I apply that to any nation, not just England) and therefore success at national level on a world stage is unlikely, England being a case in point.

Lonergan ayling Jackson Pennington cooper Vieira shaughnessy O'Kane Dallas Phillips roofe, its a feezable starting 11, all eligible to play for what most folk class as the 5 home nations, OK we know this 11 will never be a starting 11 unless we get a pub team in the fa cup, but it shows our squad is not entirely foreign, bpf coyle and Denton too, even young wilks looks like he could become a decent player, the future at Leeds united doesn't necessarily look completely foreign!

Sadly it seems that buying foreign is the only way.The hierarchy in the French leagues think the whole PSG scenario is very shady, and the PSG dealings will be reviewed by UEFA we are told,who will probably be bought off. When you see the name “Qatar”, alarm bells must be immediately ringing you'd have thought.Right or wrong foreign investment before British youth development is now the way for many clubs - a situation that will/maybe have to change via Brexit ultimately so Leeds are quite rightly dipping toes into both ponds to safeguard the clubs future.

MOT

In fairness to our foreign players, they're the best we've had outside of the PL

Well some of the best, the likes of becchio gradel lewis stick out for me as being very good as well

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)