+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: United 1 Brentford 0 - report

Quote Originally Posted by Longshortandtall View Post
    Suggest you read DB's comments on Coutts and Fleck again as you must have seen a different game to him also.

" I think him and Fleck did ok today but both can do better on the ball but oddly did well off it".

"Coutts gave the ball away a few times today which is unlike him I felt against a strong midfield full of running flicks and skill ".

" I thought we started the better but then they came into it and we had to survive for a period. "

Suggests we were not the free flowing midfield of last year because we were playing a much better standard of team who caused us problems. Blackman in the first half before we scored pulled off a good save and Jota missed an easy chance, fine margins but we could have easily been behind in this game. The difference was we had a natural goalscorer they didn't and we scored at the right time.
    DB gave them both a 7......good enough for me and really shows that they didn't "struggle"...IMO.
    UTB

Billys goal ,look at Leons reactionhttps://twitter.com/Beesotted/status/893845621764960256

Welcome back DB, love reading your reports

Good report DB. I'd give Bash and Caruthers an extra half point each but overall pretty much bob on mate.

I think with all our players including the newbies this is a time of adjustment and it's important we cut them a little bit of slack while it pans out just like we did yesterday. Some may step up their own game and make the transition easily enough while others may find it hard to play with that kind of commitment and tempo every game and become bench or squad players, only time will tell.

Overall I think it's fair to that thst we won't be playing teams who can move it around like they did every game, there's plenty that are more direct in this division, but the downside is that they may have got bigger more physical players and decent strikers, so we will need to be adaptable. I suspect we'll see far more straight back 4 from the off than we did last season, despite us sticking with 3 CB's yesterday and more squad rotation so getting a couple more players in is *****. UTB!

Wasn't easy to throw the ball out yesterday they did when they could but Brentford pressed really high up the pitch giving our midfield little time or space the back four was put under real pressure too,they play very similar to us but their players were quicker more athletic and technically better,they haven't got chris wilder tho or Billy sharp. Having watched us against a team I expect to go well this yr it's re enforced the thinking we will be ok. As for enjoying it,yes thoroughly it was a good competitive game we couldnt relax for a second or we were likely to be punished these games are as good if not better to me as rolling a team over by four or five,it's not always great watching teams far superior bashing an inferior team I like to see teams closely matched
    Last edited by bulmer1889; 06-08-2017 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bulmer1889 View Post
    Wasn't easy to throw the ball out yesterday they did when they could but Brentford pressed really high up the pitch giving our midfield little time or space the back four was put under real pressure too,they play very similar to us but their players were quicker more athletic and technically better,they haven't got chris wilder tho or Billy sharp. Having watched us against a team I expect to go well this yr it's re enforced the thinking we will be ok. As for enjoying it,yes thoroughly it was a good competitive game we couldnt relax for a second or we were likely to be punished these games are as good if not better to me as rolling a team over by four or five,it's not always great watching teams far superior bashing an inferior team I like to see teams closely matched
    You make a good point about their press, which was very good and lasted the whole game. I would still hope however that we could improve our possession of the ball when we are at the end of the game and defending a lead. The higher the level we play at the more we will encounter teams who close down quickly and press for the whole game.

Is it true you were absolutely chronic, had 40% possession and really ought to have lost 1-3 or 1-4?

Erm...

Quote Originally Posted by sharrowboy2 View Post
    Is it true you were absolutely chronic, had 40% possession and really ought to have lost 1-3 or 1-4?
    Nope. They had 2 or 3 good chances.. one guilt edged after they hit the bar and keeper made 2 or 3 good saves but we hit the post twice; had 2 goals disallowed (one was onside) and despite what BBC stats says (last eyar we were prob70% some game and it always said it was even!) on possession we had as much of ball as them.

It was quite an even game. We took our chance. They missed their big one. In between both played some good football, competed. Each team kept haviing spells but in truth we could have been 2 or 3-0 before they miised their chance as dominated first 20 mins of second half. They pushed on late but lost 1-3 or 1-4; you on the sauce?

If it had been a 1-1 draw I could not have complained but we did what we had to and it was a good win. Good thing is we did a lot of good things of the ball but could do better wiht it despite some good moves. Brentford will be around top 6 and we we matched them. A good sign.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadbat_DB View Post
    Brentford will be around top 6
    Erm... no. Not a chance, you don't know this division like we do. Get ready for some heavy defeats.

Likewise...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast