+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Four minutes...

Quote Originally Posted by LawSteelman View Post
    Absolutely no point reading too much into that game as it was basically a typical Motherwell v Rangers match at Fir Park. They were bang average but still deserved to beat us as we just weren't streetwise enough in the midfield or sharp enough up front and as usual we get zero luck. I'm not interested in the inevitable patronising nonsense that we'll now get such as "unlucky Motherwell, on another day" because I've seen this movie many, many times before to know that that's just the way it goes for us against Rangers. Hibs, St.Johnstone, Hearts and a good few others would have taken at least a point off that mob today but as usual we get nothing.

What I will say though is that our lack of goals and threat up front is going to kill is this season as a frontline of Tanner, Bowman and Fisher just won't do, and Moult is ineffective due to being unfit.

All in all yet another disappointing and frustrating day.

I just cant believe there is another team on the planet that hands Rangers so many gifts, utterly needless penalty and chances let go a begging....

Quote Originally Posted by LawSteelman View Post
    They were bang average but still deserved to beat us as we just weren't streetwise enough in the midfield or sharp enough up front and as usual we get zero luck. I'm not interested in the inevitable patronising nonsense that we'll now get such as "unlucky Motherwell, on another day" because I've seen this movie many, many times before to know that that's just the way it goes for us against Rangers. Hibs, St.Johnstone, Hearts and a good few others would have taken at least a point off that mob today but as usual we get nothing.

What I will say though is that our lack of goals and threat up front is going to kill is this season as a frontline of Tanner, Bowman and Fisher just won't do, and Moult is ineffective due to being unfit.

All in all yet another disappointing and frustrating day.
    A good summing up. If we repeat that form on Wednesday and next Saturday it'll be 3 losses out of 3.

Quote Originally Posted by steviex View Post
    I just cant believe there is another team on the planet that hands Rangers so many gifts, utterly needless penalty and chances let go a begging....
    It's like watching the same film over and over again, you know the outcome but for some reason you hope it's going to turn out differently and it never does. With the exception of the playoffs, no matter how good or bad either side is at the time of the game, it always ends badly for us and we always end up frustrated and disappointed.

Every break of the ball in either box falls their way and we always make the wrong decision in attack or defence at the crucial moment leading to sitters being missed, ala Clarkson at Hampden, or goals being conceded, ala Woods at Fir Park. F_ck me, even when we do get a break against them we still manage to screw it up, ie. Jim O'Brien missing a last minute penalty with the game at 0-0.

Obviously there is a lot of bad luck on our part, but I think there is clearly some sort of psychological block in the minds of many Motherwell teams when it comes to Rangers that tells them "you can't do this, you're only Motherwell and they are the Mighty Rangers". Its well documented within the support just how bad our record against that lot is and successive managers and players must pick up on that too, a bit like England and their penalty shootout phobia.

Even when they had a good side before they went bust, Rangers rarely hammered us at Fir Park or played us off the park with swashbuckling football, the games were always relatively tight until we shot ourselves in the foot and that was us beat. Now that Rangers are basically a bog standard SPFL side nothing has changed and all we have to console ourselves with are patronising pats on the back for 'spirited performances' all while watching our peers take points off them and show them up for the dross they are.

I would love for just once to be able to say "our performance was utter garbage against Rangers but do you know what? We beat them so the performance matters not a jot."
    Last edited by LawSteelman; 07-08-2017 at 12:56 PM.

IMO we rode our luck at times yesterday,we could have been 2 or 3 down before we started to get involved in the match.There is no point blaming the referee for our downfall,it starts with our own players and tactics.IMO playing three at the back certainly didn't work and the Govan guys just exploited the space out wide by playing two against one on most occasions.We also need to realise that when defending corners we don't need everyone of our players in our area,get Moult up the field taking at least one or two of the opposition with him.At the penalty Moult was the wrong side of the player he was marking he HAS to be goalside of the opposition player.We also must have put about 20-25 crosses into the opposition area when either our main striker was no where to be seen or the crosses where played to the back post when our players were front post.This is something the manager/coaching staff have to sort out and quickly as goal scoring chances will be at a premium against the better teams.Also hope if the rumour mill stories are true and that Moult will leave before our next home game then we have already got someone in mind to replace him.

Quote Originally Posted by texaco cup View Post
    IMO we rode our luck at times yesterday,we could have been 2 or 3 down before we started to get involved in the match.There is no point blaming the referee for our downfall,it starts with our own players and tactics.IMO playing three at the back certainly didn't work and the Govan guys just exploited the space out wide by playing two against one on most occasions.We also need to realise that when defending corners we don't need everyone of our players in our area,get Moult up the field taking at least one or two of the opposition with him.At the penalty Moult was the wrong side of the player he was marking he HAS to be goalside of the opposition player.We also must have put about 20-25 crosses into the opposition area when either our main striker was no where to be seen or the crosses where played to the back post when our players were front post.This is something the manager/coaching staff have to sort out and quickly as goal scoring chances will be at a premium against the better teams.Also hope if the rumour mill stories are true and that Moult will leave before our next home game then we have already got someone in mind to replace him.
    Both teams carried luck. Rangers got more of the good variety than we did. Their first goal, for example, was a deflection. I agree our set upwas in large part to blame. The covering at Rangers first goal was criminal as we packed the 6 yard box as we've done for years against them. Rabbits caught in headlights. Certainly we were very sterile up front.

Whats the latest rumour about Moult incidentally?

Aberdeen rumoured to be making a bid with the correct amount before our next home game for Moult.

Aberdeen rumoured to be making a bid with the correct amount before our next home game for Moult.
    I just can't see Aberdeen coming up with the cash we are looking for. I can see them coming in with a cut price offer in January.

Quote Originally Posted by wellin View Post
    I just can't see Aberdeen coming up with the cash we are looking for. I can see them coming in with a cut price offer in January.
    Which we should reject. 18 goals a season has to be worth more than £400k.

How much did Aberdeen pay for that Big Stookie Rooney?

Quote Originally Posted by WoodyG View Post
    Which we should reject. 18 goals a season has to be worth more than £400k.

How much did Aberdeen pay for that Big Stookie Rooney?
    Never mind Rooney how much are the Govan Guys getting for the cardboard cut out Waghorn!

Never mind Rooney how much are the Govan Guys getting for the cardboard cut out Waghorn!
    Exactly. At least we seem to be kicking the the first derisory offer that comes in for our players out the door now, something we never done a few years ago. Christ we practically called out for teams to make any offer for a player worth a bit of money.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)