+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Mark Robins Thinks

What Mark Robins Thinks

link
    AdChoices
    Footymad Coventry City NewsLatestTeam News
    Absolutely What I Expected - Robins

By CNS Sport
    Last updated : 05 August 2017
    Coventry City manager Mark Robins said that the 3-0 win against Notts County was absolutely what he expected.

The Sky Blues, with eight players getting their home debut, were always the better side and whilst Michael Doyle had a fine game in midfield, Jodie Jones, took many plaudits for his hat-trick which was the first for a City player outside of the top flight for many a year as both the opening day trebles by Dion Dublin against Chelsea, Mick Quinn at Arsenal and David Cross at Everton were in matches in the top flight.

Speaking to the club website about the victory which was watched by a crowd of 10,350, Mark Robins, who admitted that Jones will be fined £250 by the other City players for hugging the match after completing his hat-trick, said; "It was absolutely what I expected, perhaps not on the scoreline but it was the performance I had hoped for in the build up.

"The opposition's performance was exactly what we exected, it typifies what they're going to be like this season and they're a good side, a side who will get more wins than losses in this division.

"They're really difficult to play against, it is a really good start for us. I've got to be honest and say it was a great hat-trick from Jodi, he took all his goals well and he was helped out really well in terms of the service he got.

Quote Originally Posted by Steward View Post
    link
    AdChoices

By CNS Sport
    Coventry City manager Mark Robins said that the 3-0 win against Notts County was absolutely what he expected.

The Sky Blues, with eight players getting their home debut, were always the better side and whilst Michael Doyle had a fine game in midfield, Jodie Jones, took many plaudits for his hat-trick which was the first for a City player outside of the top flight for many a year as both the opening day trebles by Dion Dublin against Chelsea, Mick Quinn at Arsenal and David Cross at Everton were in matches in the top flight.

Speaking to the club website about the victory which was watched by a crowd of 10,350, Mark Robins, who admitted that Jones will be fined £250 by the other City players for hugging the match after completing his hat-trick, said; "It was absolutely what I expected, perhaps not on the scoreline but it was the performance I had hoped for in the build up.

"The opposition's performance was exactly what we exected, it typifies what they're going to be like this season and they're a good side, a side who will get more wins than losses in this division.

"They're really difficult to play against, it is a really good start for us. I've got to be honest and say it was a great hat-trick from Jodi, he took all his goals well and he was helped out really well in terms of the service he got.
    It's very easy to praise the oppo when you've just thrammed them 3-0. Means nothing.

Remember Teddy Sheringham’s comments after we won at Stevenage on the opening day two seasons ago?

"That was probably one of the best teams we'll play this year. I don't know that for definite, it’s early days, but they were a decent outfit and made it very tough for us.”

We ended that season with 5-0 defeats against Mansfield and Carlisle, finishing 17th.

"The oppositions performance was exactly what we expected".Brilliant

link
    AdChoices

By CNS Sport

So his pre match team talk was along the lines of these are s***e and we fulfilled all his expectations.

link
    AdChoices

By CNS Sport

I especially like the last line"he was helped out really well in terms of the service he got" who from us? I must admit he looked a very good player & a proper "wow" signing.
    Last edited by ancientpie; 06-08-2017 at 03:48 PM. Reason: sounded like sour grapes

Really helped out by Jones who closed him down to within 6 yards in the penalty area...

Will be interesting to see how Coventry get on in the coming weeks. Did we make them look good or them make us look bad?
    Our next L2 opponents lost 3-1 at home to Grimsby yesterday, so next Saturdays game will give us a much clearer indication as to where we're really at.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Will be interesting to see how Coventry get on in the coming weeks. Did we make them look good or them make us look bad?
    Our next L2 opponents lost 3-1 at home to Grimsby yesterday, so next Saturdays game will give us a much clearer indication as to where we're really at.
    Jodi Jones aside I didn't think that they looked anything special we just looked worryingly poor, they had a plan we didn't, they actually tried to pick out players with passes we didn't, if their passes went astray they had players fighting for the loose ball we didn't, if their passes found their man they looked dangerous we didn't. I am not one for knee jerk reactions & it is very early for alarm bells to start ringing but I hope that either KN has a good plan B & C or these players have at least 2 more gears they can move up because yesterday was dire & I saw nothing that suggested we are any better than last season.

We could have had Robins as our manager. He clearly has more experience and judgement at setting up a team for the start of a new season.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast