+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Like watching Brazil"

Following the Albion since the fifties I always looked upon Wolves as our greatest rivals. This was probably because through the fifties and sixties Wolves and ourselves were considered as top sides. However, there has been a decline in both our fortunes since that period. We have had similar problems even though it started a little later for us and happily we have had an upsurge in the recent past. We have not played Wolves on a regular basis for some time now and, in my opinion, this has diluted the rivalry to a degree. Until Villa were relegated they were our biggest rivals because of playing them regularly.

If I had to come down on one side or the other I would go for Wolves. I feel that Villa fans still look upon themselves as a 'big' club, which they are not. Looking at the two sides now, Wolves look much the better side and will be in the mix for promotion at the end of the season. At best, Villa will be vying for the play offs.

For some reason my first post didn't appear, now it has!
    Last edited by Leicesterbaggie; 15-10-2017 at 09:52 AM.

Fair play to Wolves, they are getting results and playing good stuff as well. The test will come when they hit a bad patch and how they recover from it.
    As for who i view as the biggest rivals, for me it's always Wolves, but for many Albion it's Villa, geographically and historically, three cup finals and just three miles apart.
    It would be similar to Wolves having two rival clubs in Codsall and Albrighton. Wolves have a very big catchment area. We are the closest apart from when they are in the same division as Walsall, so their rivalry with us is fiercer than ours with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    Were you at the recent Barnsley game Abbo ?.
    While I reckon you didnt deserve to win that game, I admit that we werent capable of winning it either but I think we definitely deserved to get what looked like a stoppage time draw!.

Looking at the derby matches again though, arent these the games what we always look forward to and it begs the question again.... Do we REALLY want our local rivals to go down at the end of a season ?.
    (when it means having to go away to Brentford or Colchester for example the following season, and no offense to those teams, Im thinking of the long journeys when a local derby match would surely be the better option ?.)
    Acido, yes I was at the Barnsley game, and as I posted on your board your side played very well on the day. However, yesterday we played at a different level and in all honesty I don't think many Championship clubs would have been a match for us.

As for local rivalry, I have been following the wolves now for over sixty five years and West Brom have always been our main rivals. Still surprising that many players have moved between the two clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by abbobrom View Post
    Acido, yes I was at the Barnsley game, and as I posted on your board your side played very well on the day. However, yesterday we played at a different level and in all honesty I don't think many Championship clubs would have been a match for us.

As for local rivalry, I have been following the wolves now for over sixty five years and West Brom have always been our main rivals. Still surprising that many players have moved between the two clubs.
    HI Abbo, Albion played a big part in your history.Ist Ronnie Allen got you promotion in 67 and signed the Doog. Then when you was in the 4th, Ally Rob,Dennison ,Thompson and Bully got to be your best ever transfers.
    At the moment looking good for promotion.

Albion fans also had a whip round for them when they went bust, Lloyd.
    I can't understand why they dislike us so much.

Yeah can we have our money back!

Yes it has been like watching Brazil, what a team. They are a pleasure to watch and yes Wolves are lucky , villa, derby and leeds took a chance on proven cloggers . Wolves went the way of talented youngsters and a manager who likes to play football, they have also been paid a lot less than them at Villa yet Bruce says its unfair. Villa are another hoof it and hope team (Wolves done it for years ) , bruce, Warnock ( I do like the bloke ) are just what English football doesn't need. England will never win anything if we see managers like these as a way forward.
    Mad Mick ( great bloke ) and proven championship manager, would certainly get a promotion charge going but has never really been given money and may be better without it. Nigel Clough would be a fit, good luck in the championship.

Ironic Wolves have gone total football and we have gone hoof ball. For us Baggies brought up watching the beautiful game, this is as bad as going down.

This is a lesson in keeping one’s powder dry.

At the time I wrote this we’d won our first two matches and I posted that we only needed another eight wins and a few draws to stay up and it wasn’t even September at that point.

One win in 31 matches later........FFS.

Well done to the Wolves....they richly deserve their title and there fans haven’t got carried away.

This time!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)