+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sky Sports Merson Predicts 17th for Toon

Quote Originally Posted by toonlegend View Post
    ^^^this^^^ hear hear
    Says it all to those who will read and understand.

Quote Originally Posted by pboromag View Post
    It ain't
    Rafa wanted full control
    He has it

Under charnley Carr and fat boy we would have got players in

But Rafa didn't want carrs players

So we end up with a load of Spanish nobodies and chasing a load of Spanish has berms or rafas old guard
    Unfortunately Rafa has no control over the countless mistakes and bad decisions made by both Ashley and his puppet Charnley before Rafa arrived on the scene.

Rafa is still living with, and trying to improve the situation with his hands tied, by average players sitting on long contracts and high wages which he would never have authorised.

Who do you think is responsible for the club finding it almost impossible to move on the players who ought not to be in our new squad?

It is certainly not Rafa, but some unthinking people blame him because he finds it difficult to deal with the historical mistakes of the amateurs who preceded him (I exclude Carr in this group).

Quote Originally Posted by ex_pat_magpie View Post
    Unfortunately Rafa has no control over the countless mistakes and bad decisions made by both Ashley and his puppet Charnley before Rafa arrived on the scene.

Rafa is still living with, and trying to improve the situation with his hands tied, by average players sitting on long contracts and high wages which he would never have authorised.

Who do you think is responsible for the club finding it almost impossible to move on the players who ought not to be in our new squad?

It is certainly not Rafa, but some unthinking people blame him because he finds it difficult to deal with the historical mistakes of the amateurs who preceded him (I exclude Carr in this group).
    I agree but isnīt this quite normal when a club is promoted? We all know how long it takes to build a good squad and this is one of the reasons why i.e. getting rid of deadwood. Once this is done, you need to get the players that you want and can afford and then get the squad to gel.
    I get the feeling that some people expect us to have a great PL squad overnight. While thatīs unrealistic, I think thereīs a balance to be struck and we really do need a couple more players (including a striker) to do ourselves justice this season.

Quote Originally Posted by toptoon View Post
    I agree but isnīt this quite normal when a club is promoted? We all know how long it takes to build a good squad and this is one of the reasons why i.e. getting rid of deadwood. Once this is done, you need to get the players that you want and can afford and then get the squad to gel.
    I get the feeling that some people expect us to have a great PL squad overnight. While thatīs unrealistic, I think thereīs a balance to be struck and we really do need a couple more players (including a striker) to do ourselves justice this season.
    It's a problem that we have but both Huddersfield and Brighton didn't have. They had no players on 5 year contracts and ridiculously high wages and thus found it easy to move out the squad members who weren't good enough for the premiership thus freeing up places for new players their managers wanted in.

Because of Ashley's and Charnley's previous lack of experience and foresight Rafa is left with the problems these two have created by planning on cashing in on talent with a sellon value and long contracts. Unfortunately it only worked with the likes of Sissoko and Wijnaldum. The lesser mundane players who are in the majority can't or won't move on because they have too much to lose in wages.

This wasn't the case with the other two promoted teams.

Quote Originally Posted by ex_pat_magpie View Post
    It's a problem that we have but both Huddersfield and Brighton didn't have. They had no players on 5 year contracts and ridiculously high wages and thus found it easy to move out the squad members who weren't good enough for the premiership thus freeing up places for new players their managers wanted in.

Because of Ashley's and Charnley's previous lack of experience and foresight Rafa is left with the problems these two have created by planning on cashing in on talent with a sellon value and long contracts. Unfortunately it only worked with the likes of Sissoko and Wijnaldum. The lesser mundane players who are in the majority can't or won't move on because they have too much to lose in wages.

This wasn't the case with the other two promoted teams.
    Brighton and Huddersfield weren't relegated from the premier league the season before.
    There's a massive difference.

.. Rafa Moyes, says you are in a relegation battle on Talk Sport ..

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    Brighton and Huddersfield weren't relegated from the premier league the season before.
    There's a massive difference.
    Exactly and that is my point. Those two weren't lumbered with players on far too long Premiership contracts and over high wages by Championship standards there for it was relatively easy for them to remove or sell off their surplus of dross players their relevant managers didn't want. BUT because of the amateurs handling our former purchases Rafa has been lumbered with players he doesn't want but are sitting on luxurious contracts and it's not his fault that they can't be moved on.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)