+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Scott Wright

Quote Originally Posted by RED_JOHN View Post
    McLennan is an excellent player who if used properly will be absolutely fantastic for us. He could be worth a few bob more than Scott McKenna if utilised properly. Young players make the wrong choices now and again but hey so do our senior players. We as a club should be trying our best to let these players learn and give them the confidence to take themselves and our club to the next level. McLennan is a prospect and a half....he will get even better if used correctly.
    Is he being given the opportunity and being used correctly at the moment?

Quote Originally Posted by afc1903mad View Post
    Is he being given the opportunity and being used correctly at the moment?
    A fit Mackay-Steven would have seen him dropped.
    In fairness to Del he has given the lad a chance but still doesn’t use him properly a lot of time. We need a better thinking attacking approach during matches and this young lad would have a field day. Better attacking players around him will without doubt make him even better than now.

I think the difference between McLennan and Wright is their physicality - McLennan is better built for getting booted about the pitch and he can hold off challenges better than Wright who's pretty brittle. Ability wise I think they're both very good. They both have pace, directness, skill, a decent shot from distance and good finishers.

I think McInnes drops these types of players and switches them around and plays them out of position far too often. Wright would play well one match, be played out of position the next, get 5 minutes off the bench the next, then be completely dropped the following week. McLennan has benefitted from injuries and McInnes has given him a reasonable run in his favoured position.

I would say that Scott Wright has found a level he’s comfortable at.
    If he has a poor game he’ll still get a run in Dundee’s team & expectation is lower.
    I always got the impression he was ok against the poor teams but can’t recall him doing anything of note in a “big” game.
    Depending on who comes/goes in the summer, he might not come back.

From The Times today

Scott Wright, 21, issued with first-team challenge at Aberdeen

Scott Wright has been challenged by his manager Derek McInnes to seize his chance to become a first-team regular for Aberdeen. The 21-year-old striker has featured in both of his side’s Europa League fixtures against RoPS Rovaniemi, having spent the second half of last season on loan at Dundee.

While fellow wide players Niall McGinn, Connor McLennan and James Wilson are still getting up to full match sharpness, Wright has been an important player for McInnes in their early season fixtures. Last week against Rovaniemi, he set up his side’s winner as they progressed to the second round of qualifying. “Sometimes you have got to come back extra motivated and Scott is a few years on now,” said McInnes.

“Scott is a player who we know what his capabilities are and for any young player it is about trying to get that consistency. Scott, at his best, has a role to play for us there is no question about that. He is a problem when he is on form, he can cause problems to opposition teams. We are pleased with Scott and he has come back looking good. On testing day, he was strong and he has played in all the games since we have come back and that shows an indication of where he is.”

In 13 appearances for Dundee last term, Wright scored three goals but only won two games. He is in contention to start for Aberdeen against Chikhura Sachkhere in Tbilisi on Thursday.

“It [the loan] will have been beneficial but how beneficial it will have been remains to be seen because we are only just back into the season,” said McInnes. “That added responsibility of being at a team at the bottom of the table was something new for him.

“He had some good moments there along with some lows. I think Scott was key when Dundee had some of their better performances and that shows the influence he can have on a team. I am sure he can have that influence on our team. The opportunity for Scott has always been there. We thought long and hard about putting him out on loan over the last couple of seasons but Scott wanted that opportunity in January. We are hoping with that added game exposure and his experiences of last season that he comes back with more maturity and responsibility.”

I'd say he's probably on trial up to deadline day

Quote Originally Posted by D31 View Post
    How many chances has he had?
    Not quite good enough
    Will have a decent career, just not at the level of Aberdeen.

Quote Originally Posted by D31 View Post
    I think that's a fair call

Quote Originally Posted by RedStarTorphins View Post
    How many chances has he had?
    Not quite good enough
    Will have a decent career, just not at the level of Aberdeen.
    I'm generally in agreement with you.
    A few key parts of the article though: -

“Scott is a player who we know what his capabilities are and for any young player it is about trying to get that consistency. Scott, at his best, has a role to play for us there is no question about that. He is a problem when he is on form, he can cause problems to opposition teams. We are pleased with Scott and he has come back looking good. On testing day, he was strong and he has played in all the games since we have come back and that shows an indication of where he is.”
    1st Half against ROPS at Pittodrie, he was too cautious and frustrating, much better second half
    Rops away, he came off the bench and was influential with the pass for our second goal

He had some good moments there along with some lows. I think Scott was key when Dundee had some of their better performances and that shows the influence he can have on a team. I am sure he can have that influence on our team. The opportunity for Scott has always been there. We thought long and hard about putting him out on loan over the last couple of seasons but Scott wanted that opportunity in January. We are hoping with that added game exposure and his experiences of last season that he comes back with more maturity and responsibility.”
    I think he is being given another chance, but this article also is an indication that this is his time to be a first team regular
    Scott Wright has been challenged by his manager Derek McInnes to seize his chance to become a first-team regular for Aberdeen.

Personally I think we should just hold on to him. He's in the last year of his contract anyway and he's probably not on much per week. He gives us an added attacking option through the centre or out wide and is useful even as a back up if he's not going to make the starting 11. No point putting him out on loan again. On his game he's a really good player - his assist for Ferguson's goal last week was excellent. Keep him and see how he gets on - even if he just gets the odd game here and there and produces a few moments like that it'll be worth it. We persevered with Stevie May as a first pick for 2 seasons and he offered a lot less attacking threat than Scott Wright.

Wright has two years on his contract

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast