+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Durnan up front

Durnan up front

NOT a good idea

Credit to Ray we have good attacking players now.

We can get it down pass, play balls through etc.

Ok we are potentially still lacking a big target man but durnan up front is not the answer. He is a great centre half, good at set pieces but NOT a striker

It kills our momentum when we put him up and reduce ourselves to long balls.

The teams that score late like fergies Man Utd do so by passing and breaking teams down time and again not lumping big balls up

Still, we do lack a presence up front just now and he done well last season on occasion when sent up

One of the differences tonight was the fun had haber who is much better than the moosa tit they love, he gave them a different dimension and caused problems first half especially

Oh and still having to pay Toshney cost is the second goal as he "defended" Allan out wide the same way he did the first game with both resulting in a goal

We still have a lot more growing and improving to do than them, much more players not yet upto speed and this second game came too early for us really

Need to knuckle down and try and get the 3 pts Saturday, much more important game for us, especially with Brechin at home to follow the well after

Brechin at home, should ray park the hedge ?

Rip up the hedgies

I'm not knocking durnan - he's been great centre half for us- but I don't agree this tactic worked last season.

Number of times it was used and most of the time it totally failed

Last season we were best when we passed the ball not hoofing it up

Quote Originally Posted by LSArab View Post
    Rip up the hedgies

I'm not knocking durnan - he's been great centre half for us- but I don't agree this tactic worked last season.

Number of times it was used and most of the time it totally failed

Last season we were best when we passed the ball not hoofing it up
    What other height option do we have up front??

It's a very common tactic that's been used for years, putting a centre half up for the remaining minutes of a cup tie when you are a goal behind. Don't see the problem to be honest.

Used to love it when Lee Wilkie strolled up front

What last night reminded me of when Dundee scored their second goal was the second leg v Hamilton. We offered nothing right after the goal and it didn't surprise me one bit that as the time passed away we were clueless. What does Ray say to them just before the start of the game and at the end of half-time? We are quite happy to see how it pans out, we don't take the momentum and we are honking. Trying to walk the ball into the net, ffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Arabs4ever View Post
    What last night reminded me of when Dundee scored their second goal was the second leg v Hamilton. We offered nothing right after the goal and it didn't surprise me one bit that as the time passed away we were clueless. What does Ray say to them just before the start of the game and at the end of half-time? We are quite happy to see how it pans out, we don't take the momentum and we are honking. Trying to walk the ball into the net, ffs.
    Can't have it both ways, the fact we were at least trying to walking into the net shows we were pushing for the goal and not just happy for pens. We just missed that killer final ball, we played some nice buildup play but couldn't finish it. For me it wasn't through lack of effort, just didn't click

Overall I'm not so worried about last night. The forward players could rip smaller teams apart.

We need a big striker but I think Ray is on to that. Hopefully the money is available and not being spent on the ST prosecution fund

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)