+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 191 of 232 FirstFirst ... 91141181189190191192193201 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,910 of 2311

Thread: Ex-Dons

That's a great article on Ernie.

McDougall: If I’d stayed fit I could have smashed Harper’ s scoring record
    PAUL THIRD

Frank McDougall is convinced he could have eclipsed Joe Harper’s standing as Aberdeen’s all-time leading goalscorer had his career not been cut short due to injury.
    The 64-year-old is the latest addition to Aberdeen’s 2022 Hall of Fame class and will join Duncan Shearer, Dougie Bell, Russell Anderson and the late Davie Robb in being inducted at the city’s Chester Hotel in November.
    His time with the Dons may have been brief but it was certainly eventful as he scored 44 goals in 69 appearances before a back injury forced him to retire at the age of 29.
    McDougall has no regrets but it is a measure of how prolific he was at the Dons that the forward believes he was on course to eclipse Harper’s 205 goals for the club before injury curtailed his career.
    He said: “I am not one for looking back on my career too often and I’ve no regrets at how things turned out.
    “But I would have smashed Joe’s record.
    “Had I stayed fit, with the quality of players we had and the chances we created I would have bettered it, I’m sure of it, but that’s life.”
    The former Don is humbled to be held in such high regard following the news he is to be inducted in November.
    He said: “It’s brilliant. I got the news last week I was being inducted and it’s humbling. I’m very proud.
    “I’m going in alongside some great company and honours don’t come much higher than being inducted into Aberdeen’s Hall of Fame alongside some fantastic players.”
    McDougall, who moved to the Dons from St Mirren in 1984, made an instant impact at Pittodrie, scoring 24 goals in 30 appearances in his first season with the club as he finished the leading scorer in the Premier Division.
    McDougall’s goals helped the Dons win the league championship with the highlight coming in his hat-trick to clinch the title in a 3-0 win against Hearts at Tynecastle.
    The striker’s rich vein of form in front of goal continued in the 1985-86 season where he scored a further 20 goals in 38 appearances, including a remarkable four-goal haul in the 4-1 rout of Celtic at Pittodrie.
    The Dons went on to win the Scottish Cup and League Cup that season ensuring McDougall secured all three domestic trophies in 24 months.
    A back injury forced McDougall to retire during the 1986-87 campaign.
    But with a piece of silverware collected on average every 23 games it is clear how big an impact McDougall made in his brief spell with the club.

Nicky Campbell on Nothsound's breakfast show in 1986: "Ian Botham being considered as the next James Bond? What about Frankie McDougall?"

It's a pity that these events are now beyond the affordability level for hunners of fans who remember Frankie from those magic two seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by 57vintage View Post
    Error, Ernie.

Tam was the centre half.

Chalky Whyte and Ally Shewan, later Henning Boel and Jim Hermiston, would have been the full backs in them days.
    Another memory question mark among Ernie’s tales is raised by his recollection of Zoltan Varga’s supposed contribution of a fiver to bet on the horses. Ernie left Pittodrie two years before the Hungarian dancer arrived.

Top article though. Thank you for posting.

Frank's a great guy. I meet him for a pint when he's in Glasgow. So down to earth, can remember all his goals and who set them up etc as if it was yesterday. Some great stories from the Fergie era as you can imagine. Not had an easy time of it recently health wise. Messaged him about his impending induction into the hall of fame. Fair chuffed.

I don't think much about the games I have missed for being born in the wrong era, but I do wish I was lucky enough to have seen Frank score four against Celtic at Pittodrie, that is a game I would really loved to have seen in the flesh.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeeDon View Post
    I don't think much about the games I have missed for being born in the wrong era, but I do wish I was lucky enough to have seen Frank score four against Celtic at Pittodrie, that is a game I would really loved to have seen in the flesh.
    Frank's hat trick against Hearts was superb ! there was one goal don't think the ball touched the ground. Dougie Bell to Weir to Frank blasted like a rocket into the net. "Fat" Frank was something else.

I think the next home game he scored a hat-trick against der hūn.

Those on here that seen Frank in his pomp, do you reckon he would have beats Joeys record if he had stayed fit and with us for a few more years?

McDougall’s goals helped the Dons win the league championship with the highlight coming in his hat-trick to clinch the title in a 3-0 win against Hearts at Tynecastle.
    Another factual error. Our title win was celebrated after the 1–1 draw with the Tims ar Pittodrie, but was confirmed when the Tims didn’t win a midweek game between our fixtures with them, and the Tynecastle drubbing.

Those on here that seen Frank in his pomp, do you reckon he would have beats Joeys record if he had stayed fit and with us for a few more years?
    It's hard to say, I think it's unlikely.
    With his lifestyle and physique he was never going to enjoy career longevity.

But if he'd stayed fit, and if Fergie hadn't left, he'd have maybe had a chance.

Page 191 of 232 FirstFirst ... 91141181189190191192193201 ... LastLast