+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T Health & Safety

O/T Health & Safety

Well intentioned it may be but in many regards it has gone over the top.

I see Scouts are being told not to eat their food sitting on the grass. In my experience you were never stupid enough to do this anyway. Unless you wanted a damp and very uncomfortable ar5e.

I was lucky enough to have had a really good time in the Scouts. I joined with my best mate and met some other really good long lasting friends.

I don't know what the H&S people would say about some of the things we did. All cooking done on open fires that we were left to prepare and operate. Digging the bogs. The most important task of all namely constructing the aerial runway from high in the trees. Climbing all over and along the railway bridge at Kinver (that was a bit risky). Canoeing in fast flowing rivers and the sea. Potholing (a bit hairy). Rock climbing with no safety attaching ropes. Going on night hikes in remote pitch black country. And so on.
    Last edited by Q165; 10-08-2017 at 11:12 AM.

In my day we used to ride our bikes without a helmet!!, omg.

It'has'it's'uses'in'the'work'place'but'not'in'ever yday'life.As'you'say'common'sense'is'all'thats'req uired.
    I'wonder'if'the'White'House'has'a'copy'of'H&S

Agree '55, that in the workplace it is important but in everyday life it has become farcical. I'm convinced that somewhere there is a government department that tries to to think up the daftest legislation that they can and then incorporate it into Health and Safety regulations.

Quote Originally Posted by Q165 View Post
    Well intentioned it may be but in many regards it has gone over the top.

I see Scouts are being told not to eat their food sitting on the grass. In my experience you were never stupid enough to do this anyway. Unless you wanted a damp and very uncomfortable ar5e.

I was lucky enough to have had a really good time in the Scouts. I joined with my best mate and met some other really good long lasting friends.

I don't know what the H&S people would say about some of the things we did. All cooking done on open fires that we were left to prepare and operate. Digging the bogs. The most important task of all namely constructing the aerial runway from high in the trees. Climbing all over and along the railway bridge at Kinver (that was a bit risky). Canoeing in fast flowing rivers and the sea. Potholing (a bit hairy). Rock climbing with no safety attaching ropes. Going on night hikes in remote pitch black country. And so on.
    They worry about scouts sitting on wet grass more than they do about the scout leader with a raging hard on who's lining up his next young bottom!

Even as a kid I could tell our local scout leader was a kiddie fiddler.

Dib,dib,dib my feckin a s s !!

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    They worry about scouts sitting on wet grass more than they do about the scout leader with a raging hard on who's lining up his next young bottom!

Even as a kid I could tell our local scout leader was a kiddie fiddler.

Dib,dib,dib my feckin a s s !!
    Even then I was bit dubious on joining. But no problems. Our leader was mid 20's and he was helped by two younger guys.

I'couldn't'see'the'point'of'joining'the'Scouts,no' Indians'over'here,oh'hang'on.

They are so much more relaxed about H&S in the rest of Europe.

Went in bar tonight in a small Italian resort and ordered a bottle of wine. We could either sit at a table or take a cushion each and sit on the sea wall with our feet over the side watching the sunset over Portofino. My missus commented H&S would never allow it in the UK.

And its not just the latin types I have some friends from oh so sensible Holland who also think we are H&S obsessed.

It seems if something happens we, as a whole, look to sue somebody/organisation at the drop of a hat. There were a couple on TV earlier in the week looking to sue a charity because their daughter, who was working for the charity so an adult not a child, had waded into the sea and been washed away by a riptide. I don't think the TV should have even given them air time.
    That is a good part of the reason we are health & safety mad.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)