+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ashley Statement

The reason we haven't got a 40 million naming rights deal is because he's using it to 'showcase' his own company!

Quote Originally Posted by kingstonbob View Post
    The reason we haven't got a 40 million naming rights deal is because he's using it to 'showcase' his own company!
    How much do you reckon we would earn for a few advertising boards per season (or do you want the name of the stadium to be changed as well?)

The trouble is that a lot of our supporters (and, maybe surprisingly some journos) have got the wrong end of the stick with Ashley´s comments. It´s like me saying to someone that they can have every last penny in my wallet and them being ecstatic, only to discover that there´s 10 pence in it.

Ashley didn´t lie and at the time of that comment I thought, OK, well at least he´s not taking any of his loan back out of the club (but it also implied that he would be putting no extra in). People started talking about 100 million by including future earnings if we stay up.

When he made the interview saying that he now wanted to win something - he meant getting a top manager and not dross like P45due any more. It appears he didn´t mean he´d be ploughing money into the club, unfortunately and from his comments today (which sound honest enough to me) he doesn´t have cash enough to hand to inject.

Some are saying also that, Ok, we need to spend some to guarantee we stay up and get next years money. TBF that would be a hell of a risk for the fat man. He has leant the club 150 million and we now expect him to lend more - what if he does and we get relegated anyway??? Think about it, IF IT WAS YOU!

Like everyone I´m pretty disappointed with the situation and I thought we would be making more signings (not marquee ones, however). The silver lining is Rafa´s comments today - he is committed and will make the best of what he has.

Fingers crossed for that striker.....

Just remember that a lot of these gung ho clubs are going to suffer the consequences of impulse buying and over the odds wages to match, because very few of them will see any real success from what their outlay is and has been and they will grind to a halt.

We all know that we require a few additions but we also know that this club is in a far better position as it stands to not fall into the dark void that many will suffer, regardless of TV money.

We are working on a wing and a prayer. A hope that Rafa is the manager/coach/man manager to assemble a worthy squad to compete. That's the key at the minute.
    Time will tell on this but we have to be realistic in our expectations.

It frustrates me that we can't compete with those at the top. I want excitement and I also want teams to be talking about coming to Newcastle to play one of the top teams. I want us to be looked on like we were during the Keegan/Hall days.
    I want Newcastle United to be a massive player draw, where all top players beg to want to come.

Plant this set up in London and hey presto, we would near on have it all.
    I'm repeating myself, I know, but this is a rebuild and it has to be a rebuild by a manager we trust, backed by the board.
    It appears that we have that in position as it stands, but the backing of the board consists of backing the manager with generated club funds and not plucked wads from the tree of kindness or the cap in hand borrowing that got us into a fine mess before Ashley and co were here.

I'm going to put my trust in Rafa to be a man and work with what he has, plus generate his own funds on top of what's in the coffers.
    I'm going to place my optimistic cap on and scarf of hope, plus my seasonal football smile and cheer on this team/squad, through the good and the bad and the indifference of this season and then see how it all pans out and where we are headed from that point on.

That's all I can do and all any of us can do, other than give up and say "what's the point, we're doomed."
    Nobody wants to think like that and there's nothing to suggest that the squad we have give that inkling.
    In a funny sort of way and assuming good karma, it's possible to have a far and away better outfit than any of us contemplated with the emergence of the glass body crew and newbies that actually show better class than we expected.

At worst we are one decent all round striker from decent satisfaction from the off. Hopefully we get him plus a few loanees as a bonus and let's see where we go.

Quote Originally Posted by toptoon View Post
    How much do you reckon we would earn for a few advertising boards per season (or do you want the name of the stadium to be changed as well?)
    Well there is that advertising board going round and round throughout the match which has a very small select few companies on. £7-10 million a year would be better than nowt and would buy us a player a season which appears to be the level we are having to aim at. I read we would be receiving £43 million from the TV deal from the 15/16 season. We also had a £20 million surplus from sales. No I don't want the name changing hes already pulled that one and miraculously didnt get anyone to take it up, but there most probably was no intention.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherTerryMac View Post
    So we've got a multi billionaire owner who's pheckin skint. Why doesn't he just sell up and put us all out of our misery if he hadn't given all the deadwood 5 year lucrative contracts we wouldn't be in the state we're in.
    Exactly this and I wish any Rafa distractors who remain would be sensible enough to take this in instead of constantly and boringly blaming Rafa for what went on before he came.

However I'm still of the opinion that we will sign at least a decent striker and that we will get through the season without the threat of relegation.

Quote Originally Posted by kingstonbob View Post
    Well there is that advertising board going round and round throughout the match which has a very small select few companies on. £7-10 million a year would be better than nowt and would buy us a player a season which appears to be the level we are having to aim at. I read we would be receiving £43 million from the TV deal from the 15/16 season. We also had a £20 million surplus from sales. No I don't want the name changing hes already pulled that one and miraculously didnt get anyone to take it up, but there most probably was no intention.
    ^^^^ This ^^^^

Fatso owes 10 years ad revenue. Be it £1 million or £7 million, it should be ×10

Quote Originally Posted by ex_pat_magpie View Post
    Exactly this and I wish any Rafa distractors who remain would be sensible enough to take this in instead of constantly and boringly blaming Rafa for what went on before he came.

However I'm still of the opinion that we will sign at least a decent striker and that we will get through the season without the threat of relegation.
    Who's blaming Rafa?
    It's fine if people want Ashley to leave but just remember that there's a host of Ellis Shorts out there willing to promise the Earth and pay for any stand out name to pull on a shirt to pacify fans for a cool 5 minutes before all the hugging and feel good factors come crashing down to levels where 1 million is deemed a gamble.

Like Ashley said: this is Newcastle United. It's not being derogatory, it's being realistic in terms of spends and attraction of players of higher calibre, without suffering the catastrophic effects of the aftermath should the club fail to accelerate almost instantly.

It would be great if a Sheikh comes in, or similar, with a money no object mindset. It will get us the best of the best because we can pay best of the best money and even have a real potential for trophies like that Man City style.

The issue is, where would we go from that point on because expectations would be through the roof and anything other than sustaining that will literally destroy the club as any semblance of a club that we all fell in love with.

It would signal the birth of the absolute real plastics who will desert it after a few seasons of what could be classed as mediocrity which would consist of going without major cups or a few stints outside of the top 4.

A football killer for the real fan and a festival for the well off watching the on field exploits of pop star status teams of pampered ignorant bell ends who quickly forget what reality is.
    Last edited by ghostrider; 12-08-2017 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kal View Post
    ^^^^ This ^^^^

Fatso owes 10 years ad revenue. Be it £1 million or £7 million, it should be ×10
    Well said Kal and that should be at least off set against the loan.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    Who's blaming Rafa?
    It's fine if people want Ashley to leave but just remember that there's a host of Ellis Shorts out there willing to promise the Earth and pay for any stand out name to pull on a shirt to pacify fans for a cool 5 minutes before all the hugging and feel good factors come crashing down to levels where 1 million is deemed a gamble.

Like Ashley said: this is Newcastle United. It's not being derogatory, it's being realistic in terms of spends and attraction of players of higher calibre, without suffering the catastrophic effects of the aftermath should the club fail to accelerate almost instantly.

It would be great if a Sheikh comes in, or similar, with a money no object mindset. It will get us the best of the best because we can pay best of the best money and even have a real potential for trophies like that Man City style.

The issue is, where would we go from that point on because expectations would be through the roof and anything other than sustaining that will literally destroy the club as any semblance of a club that we all fell in love with.

It would signal the birth of the absolute real plastics who will desert it after a few seasons of what could be classed as mediocrity which would consist of going without major cups or a few stints outside of the top 4.

A football killer for the real fan and a festival for the well off watching the on field exploits of pop star status teams of pampered ignorant bell ends who quickly forget what reality is.
    There is some truth in this. Be careful what you wish for.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)