+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Chesterfield Match Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Wedgie_pie View Post
    Liked the way Collin protected our Wembley type pitch by hoofing it sky high 95% of the time, only to see the ball come back again....
    It was worse last week.......it was 98% of the time.....apparently it's the normal style of play in L2?

Quote Originally Posted by ancientpie View Post
    It certainly wasn't pretty & I thought we invited them on in the last 10 mins but although it was nervy they never really threatened so fair play to the defence. Everyone "apart from KN" seems to agree that Stead & Ameobi are both class players but lack the pace to play together this needs sorting & should have been looked at in the pre season friendlies imo, apparently Grant was carrying a slight injury but he must start in the next league game surely?
    I'll take KN's football opinion over yours, perhaps they haven't found the right player yet / or have failed to land who they want?..... patience I'm sure he's aware!

Good result. Bitty, but ultimately effective performance.

I wasn't getting carried away with the hype about the "brave" defeat on Tuesday night because I've seen Notts lift their game in cup matches before, only to revert to mediocrity in the next league match where it counts. Today, we weren't fluent, but we did manage to sustain some spells of pressure and rattle Chesterfield to the point where they were giving away free-kicks and bookings and got the man sent off.

It seems to me that Nolan is looking to create something akin to Sam Allardyce's pragmatic way of playing, not based on silky football but on getting the ball into the right areas quickly, winning lots of set pieces and generally being unpleasant to play against. It won't always be attractive, but it could be effective, especially with the limitations of the squad we've got. It's too early to judge how successful this will be, but if it comes anywhere close to what Sam did for us and Bolton, it should get enough results to keep us safe at least.

Quote Originally Posted by keldsyke View Post
    I'll take KN's football opinion over yours, perhaps they haven't found the right player yet / or have failed to land who they want?..... patience I'm sure he's aware!
    So you agree with KN that Stead & Ameobi look a potent strike force together? obviously KN is of the opinion that they are our best pairing but I have yet to hear a fan who agrees with him, ideally we will sign a striker who can feed off one or the other but until we do I maintain that he should have used the friendlies to try out different pairings as this is not a new problem & will only get worse as the players get older & pitches get heavier. I am fully behind KN but although you may not agree this does not forbid me from questioning some of his logic, I pay my money & will have my say! COYP.

Quote Originally Posted by keldsyke View Post
    Chesterfield down to 10 men
    Deserved, or not???

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5ws47s

https://scontent-lga3-1.cdninstagram...43101440_n.mp4

Another one, you should help us with

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    Didn't think so at the time and I still don't after watching the video. Stuff happens!

What was Ugwu's yellow card for in the first half for (off-the-ball incident)? The choir were singing 'Off Off Off' but play had moved on and I missed the offence.
    Last edited by HaylePie; 12-08-2017 at 06:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    Never a red in a million years. The keeper would have got the ball anyway, ridiculous decision, a yellow at worst.

Quote Originally Posted by HaylePie View Post
    Didn't think so at the time and I still don't after watching the video. Stuff happens!

What was Ugwu's yellow card for in the first half for (off-the-ball incident)? The choir were singing 'Off Off Off' but play had moved on and I missed the offence.
    One of the most blatant red card offences you'll ever see - basically lashed out at Hewitt off the ball. Pathetic decision to give a yellow, evened out by the pathetic decision for the red card. Should have been the other way around.

I was impressed by our central defenders today, did the basics well. Hawkridge worked tirelessly and came close to scoring a couple of times, but I thought Grant was the difference between getting 1 point and 3 (although he allowed himself to get wound up way too easily by one of their players before his booking).

We desperately need a midfielder who can get on the ball and drive the team forward (Hewitt is not the answer - take away the throw ins and he delivers nothing). And Stead and Ameobi have a combined age of nearly 70, and it shows. We desperately need some pace up front, otherwise we'll be easy to defend against in open play (and Jones' set pieces today were dreadful), rarely beating the first man. Disappointed by Alessandra today, too, thought he was completely anonymous and will make way for Grant when he's match fit.

Overall, though, very happy with the battling qualities we showed and the three points.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456