+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Were our 60's Albion heroes really all that good?

Smile Were our 60's Albion heroes really all that good?

Bobby Hope 2 Scottish caps
    Tony Brown 1 English cap
    Jeff Astle 5 English caps
    Clive Clark 0 English caps
    John Kaye 0 English caps
    John Osborne 0 English caps
    Indeed there was only Graham Williams who won many and that was for little old Wales.

Are we wrong looking back at these players with such fond memories? Surely the International managers knew best.
    How about our final league positions? From 1963/4 to 1972/3 we finished: 10th,14th,6th,13th, 8th, 10th,16th,17th, 16th, 22nd. Hardly pulled up any trees did we?
    We did manage 1 F.A.Cup win & 1 League Cup win. More than Villa & Wolves combined
    I reckon if you asked the fans of every other club to name their best 20 players of that period, excluding their own, there would be no Albion players on anyone's list.
    If you ask me I'd tell you all the above and more were bloody great

One big difference just about every player for every club was from the Home nations and therefore it was so difficult to get into the national sides, the competition was so much greater. I also believe there was a great bias against sides like us. Bryan Robson would perhaps be the best example of that, but not the only one.

For me the biggest plus, irrespective of whether they played for their country or not is that they entertained, they gave their all and they linked with the supporters.

No one will convince me that the football is more entertaining now than it was then, despite (or maybe because of) the huge transfer fees and wages.

There as always been bias against many Midland clubs in favour of The big northern and London clubs. Look at the greatest left back that I ever seen, Derek Statham. If he'd been playing for Arsenal instead of the virtually talentless Sampson then Derek would have had the 80 odd plus caps instead.

When it came to cup football then yes they really were that good.

International caps the competition then was so much fiercer. Tony Brown v Charlton, Astle v Hurst, Hope v Baxter, Kaye v Moore.

As regards a Top 20 United had Charlton, Law and THE Best (didn't stop us putting 6 past em the year they won the European Cup) City- Bell Summerbee Lee
    Chelsea-Hudson Cooke
    Leeds-Bremner Giles Gray Clarke Charlton +another 7
    Everton-Ball Harvey (1 cap)Kendall (0caps)Royle
    Banks
    The West Ham World Cup Winners
    Spurs-Greaves Blanchflower
    Liverpool StJohn HuntCallaghan Thompson

There's 20+ who fans from then would remember more easily. Apologies to those I've missed out.

Love em? Course I did they gave me the happiest day of my life May 18th 1968

Quote Originally Posted by phild View Post
    There as always been bias against many Midland clubs in favour of The big northern and London clubs. Look at the greatest left back that I ever seen, Derek Statham. If he'd been playing for Arsenal instead of the virtually talentless Sampson then Derek would have had the 80 odd plus caps instead.
    I was thinking exactly the same about Derek Statham phild.

Those players from the 60's would probably struggle a bit when it came to the fitness of today's players. Sports science has improved diet and training techniques such a lot. I remember that picture of Kaye in the dressing room after the FA Cup semi against the Blues I think it was, sitting there with a fag on. But that aside I am sure that Brown, Astle Clarke etc would all be Premiership players, only probably not with Albion as other clubs would have snapped them up while we 'monitored' the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Joy_Division View Post
    Those players from the 60's would probably struggle a bit when it came to the fitness of today's players. Sports science has improved diet and training techniques such a lot. I remember that picture of Kaye in the dressing room after the FA Cup semi against the Blues I think it was, sitting there with a fag on. But that aside I am sure that Brown, Astle Clarke etc would all be Premiership players, only probably not with Albion as other clubs would have snapped them up while we 'monitored' the situation.
    That can't be true about John Kaye!!!
    Name:  001.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  81.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by holmleighchris View Post
    That can't be true about John Kaye!!!
    Name:  001.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  81.7 KB
    Albion were at the cutting edge of sports science / player fitness and welfare! Weren't they also pretty free in giving injections to not fully fit players to get them playing? May be just a rumour.

Brown, Astle and Hope were truly outstanding players. Not a chance that we could have held on to them today, which is sad.

My'favourite'Albion'side'of'all'time.4'Cup'finals' in'5'years,the'other'year'was'a'semi'and'a'Europea n'quarter'final.
    Clive'Clark'was'better'than'Willie'Johnston,Bobby' Hope'was'as'good'as'Giles.
    Astle'more'prolific'than'Regis,Graham'Lovett'was'b eing'hailedas'the'next'Duncan'Edwards,
    Asa'Hartford'became'our'first'fashionable'player,O sborne'was'as'good'as'any'keeper'we'have'had'befor e'or'since,
    oh'and'then'there'was'Bomber.
    Throw'in'Graham'Williams,John'Kaye'and'Dougie'and' it'wasn't'a'bad'side'at'all.
    Division'One'was'much'more'open'than'the'EPL,and'a 'good'or'bad'start'determined'your'season.
    The'early'60's'was'one'of'change'as'the'players'of 'the'great'50's'side'departed'and'new'ones'came'th ough.
    The'mid'to'late'60's'were'very'exdciting'times.Gre at'football,lot's'of'goals'scored,and'in'an'era'wh en'defences'
    were'much'tighter'than'previous'decades.
    The'cap'thing'has'always'been'a'thorny'subject.How 'many'would'the'players'mentioned'have'got'had'the y'played'
    for'Liverpool,United,Arsenal'etc
    As'for'fitness'i'doubt'todays'thoroughbreds'would' manage'90'mins'with'no'subs'on'those'pitches,and't hose'players'of
    yesteryear'would'revel'on'todays'billiard'tables'i n'a'non'contact'sport.Hardly'any'injuries'back'the n.
    That'Albion'side'was'very'good'until'1970'when'it' began'to'slide,and'we'had'to'wait'5'years'until'an 'Albion'side'worthy'
    of'the'name'rose'again.

Best Albion side i've seen .They would be worth a fortune nowadays Chippy ,Hope, Astle and Bomber.Luck at what Bombers says about Chippy and remember the pitches and hard knocks he faced. http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/spor...n-pays-7062282

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)