+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Back from the game

Quote Originally Posted by rico94 View Post
    Thats because Taylor was his no 1 defender and couldn't see past him. I really cant see why you think Arnason has been that bad, as soon as he went off against Hamilton our defence was all over the place and they nearly equalized. When Arnason came on in the Apollon game at Pittodrie O'Conner looked 10 times better playing alongside him than he did with Reynolds.
    This. What on earth were people watching?

Quote Originally Posted by DollyLongstaffe View Post
    Taylor kept getting picked because despite his failings, which were considerable, and pace his detractors on here and elsewhere, he was still the most effective central defender at the club during his spell here.

Arnason will have been signed because Deek thought he was a good addition - which is why he also signed Stockley, Storey and others who never made much impact here. I'm a big Deek fan, but like most managers he's got some signings right and some wrong.

My worry is that the summer was eaten up with concern about how we were going to replace the goals and assists we lost when McGinn and Hayes went, and that finding a replacement for Taylor was a bit of an afterthought. Arnason looked good on paper, he had some connection to the club and wanted to come here. Also good central defenders are *really* hard to come by on our budget. I also think Arnason is an unusual personality for a footballer and would be very good at marketing himself.

Maybe I'm doing the manager a disservice and he really did his homework and still believes that Arnason can still be an outstanding SPL defender. If it turns out that way I'll be delighted, like every Dandy. I'm a lot more interested in the team being good than in being right. I'm just not optimistic as things stand.

Well I would imagine he has it in him to be an SPFL defender considering he is an international footballer who played at a major tournament 12 months ago.McInnes has to give him a chance though because O'Conner and Reynolds as our 2 centre backs against better teams than Hamilton and County makes me worry.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345