+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Charlie Slater

Charlie Slater

Ater 3 games, what are the views of the Supporters who can only listen to commentary on radio.

I've only heard the one so far - Sc thorpe away. Thought Charlie Slater was a breath of fresh air. Worked a good partnership with Mark Stallard, and you could actually tell from his commentary when Notts were going forward as there was expectancy and uplift in his voice. I enjoyed listening for once. I'd given up on Radio Nottingham towards the end of last season, but am back on board now.

Charlie Slater is doing well. He seems comfortable in the role already, works well with Mark Stallard and throws a bit of humour into his commentaries too, which is good.

I also think Charlie Slater's commentary will make Notts County more accessible to a younger generation of fans, which we do need. Uncle Colin obviously will forever be a Magpies legend and has a devoted following amongst all of us who have listened to his commentary since childhood, but this somewhat played into the image of a club appealing to an older fan base and living on its past.

In contrast, Charlie Slater is a young, fresh voice with a bit of the "cheeky chappie" about him, and although the older generation grumble a bit about modern commentators who get a bit loud when a goal goes in, this what gets young people interested and excited. The arrival of a new commentator ties in with the arrival of a new owner and the notion of the club seeking a new beginning, albeit still respecting and valuing its history.

Listening to the re-cap of the commentary coming home in the car, when we scored he made it known we had !
    Always loved Colin's commentary but as said above...a breath of fresh air.

I particularly liked that he asked Nolan why Grant and Milsom hadn't started afterwards. Might seem obvious but it's the sort of stuff Colin never thought to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by freemuzzy View Post
    I particularly liked that he asked Nolan why Grant and Milsom hadn't started afterwards. Might seem obvious but it's the sort of stuff Colin never thought to ask.
    And what did Nolan reply regarding Milsom?

Just wish he would refer to us as Notts rather than County !