+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Well done Notts

Well done Notts

3 points in the bank

Watched half the game (thanks to iFollow...grrr)....first impressions

Collin mixed up his kicks with rolling the ball out to mainly Jones.....he still kicks too many balls directly to the oppo keeper.
    Jones, much better game, some great runs down the wing
    Jorge, why oh why doesn't he start the match....guy is awesome
    Stead, looked knackered....he should have slammed a goal home one-on-one with the keeper....no pace
    Shola, some decent knockdowns despite being double-marked by Chessie
    Forte looked ok coming on....almost got on the end of a few
    Hawk, I like this guy...busy and fast

Chesterfield, nothing really to offer....niggly and nasty at times.

COYP

I just commented on another thread that Nolan appears to be looking to get the ball forward very quickly, not long-ball at it's crudest, but certainly based on turning defences and getting the ball into the position of maximum opportunity as soon as possible. In which case, a pacey striker who can take advantage of that ball over the top is even more important. There were several times today when the "right" ball was played but Stead just didn't have enough pace to capitalise. I couldn't help but picture what havoc a Kevin Bartlett would have caused given the same opportunity. I would say it's Stead's place that is under threat, because Ameobi is a better and stronger target man and fits the bill for a direct style of play.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    I just commented on another thread that Nolan appears to be looking to get the ball forward very quickly, not long-ball at it's crudest, but certainly based on turning defences and getting the ball into the position of maximum opportunity as soon as possible. In which case, a pacey striker who can take advantage of that ball over the top is even more important. There were several times today when the "right" ball was played but Stead just didn't have enough pace to capitalise. I couldn't help but picture what havoc a Kevin Bartlett would have caused given the same opportunity. I would say it's Stead's place that is under threat, because Ameobi is a better and stronger target man and fits the bill for a direct style of play.
    Totally agree. If we'd had pace up front I don't think we'd have had to suffer those nervous last 10 minutes or so. For want of a better option I'd still give the Forte/Ameobe combination a go.

Seem to remember that Kevin Bartlett's success rate with one on ones was not too hot.

Nolan actually went mad at Adam Collin after he threw the ball out to Hawkridge in the second half and told him to ignore the crowd moaning at him and stick to what he was supposed to be doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Freeman25 View Post
    Nolan actually went mad at Adam Collin after he threw the ball out to Hawkridge in the second half and told him to ignore the crowd moaning at him and stick to what he was supposed to be doing.
    Yes, I thought that was the message too. Collin had just bowled the ball out for the first time to a full-back and got a sarcastic cheer from the Kop, but then Nolan whistled him, shook his head angrily and pointed around the ground. The message was definitely "Ignore that lot and do what I've told you!" This manager is not bothered about playing out from the back, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Yes, I thought that was the message too. Collin had just bowled the ball out for the first time to a full-back and got a sarcastic cheer from the Kop, but then Nolan whistled him, shook his head angrily and pointed around the ground. The message was definitely "Ignore that lot and do what I've told you!" This manager is not bothered about playing out from the back, that's for sure.
    Noticed the same thing here in Mexico, no commentary but we get crowd noise.....there was a huge derisory cheer when he finally bowled the ball out to Jones, after taking an age to decide whether to lump it forward or not....I'm not the only one then that gets irritated with the continual Garry Owens?....I'm not an expert BTW.....but it pisses me off when it's a huge up-n-under

Quote Originally Posted by tarquinbeech View Post
    Noticed the same thing here in Mexico, no commentary but we get crowd noise.....there was a huge derisory cheer when he finally bowled the ball out to Jones, after taking an age to decide whether to lump it forward or not....I'm not the only one then that gets irritated with the continual Garry Owens?....I'm not an expert BTW.....but it pisses me off when it's a huge up-n-under
    I just don't think we have the quality of player to build from the back, we would give away more goals than we would create. I remember under McParland we tried to play a passing style from deep, but it ended up as a string of passes from side to side across the back four followed by a big hoof forward as soon as they were closed down. It requires not only good passing skills from the defenders but also plenty of movement from those in front, and we fall short on both counts. Adam Collin's distribution was ok today.

I shouted to both milsom and grant today whilst warming up why they weren't playing, both players gave me a clueless shrug of the shoulders and open hand gesture like they had no answer to it.
    I still don't get it either ?

I think Nolan is under pressure to play certain players...
    Having said that...
    A great big 3 points today..
    Not pretty.but off the mark..
    Thought Yates was strong today.
    Great debut.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I just don't think we have the quality of player to build from the back, we would give away more goals than we would create. I remember under McParland we tried to play a passing style from deep, but it ended up as a string of passes from side to side across the back four followed by a big hoof forward as soon as they were closed down. It requires not only good passing skills from the defenders but also plenty of movement from those in front, and we fall short on both counts. Adam Collin's distribution was ok today.
    I'm not disagreeing with you...if we keep collecting points then sobeit, but it doesn't look good on the tv or to the supporters

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast