+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chris Martin...hero or villain?

Martin's a goal scorer alright but if no service is issued in midfield and they don't press forward themselves and just pass the ball back and forth with this disgraceful crab style football with lack of ideas which equals lack of complacency, you going to end up fricking nowhere but backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Rams4Justice View Post
    No service no goals simple as that we had no shots on target yesterday same old same old and if you have that against you, you not going to do bugger all.
    No service No goals, spot on. My lesson from history, someone with a role similar to Martin's, is John O'Hare, who's extraordinary skill with back to goal and at close quarters took us to a championship. But he would have been nothing without the superb service from Carlin, Durban, Gemmill and McGovern. I'm not interested in Martin as a person, without service he has no chance to shine. No hero, but the villain is whoever decided that this midfield was the one to take us forward

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    No service No goals, spot on. My lesson from history, someone with a role similar to Martin's, is John O'Hare, who's extraordinary skill with back to goal and at close quarters took us to a championship. But he would have been nothing without the superb service from Carlin, Durban, Gemmill and McGovern. I'm not interested in Martin as a person, without service he has no chance to shine. No hero, but the villain is whoever decided that this midfield was the one to take us forward
    I keep saying it but I say it again this team was created by numerous of managers which suited their style of play and that blend has gone straight out of the window because a different manager has come in changed everything around and brought in their way of doing things differently and over time it has drained on the entire squad and it has been shown in the team's performances. This is a long process to get the blend back again but sticking with Rowett and keeping his philosophy of doing things his way and building his own mold into the team and get the players working to their full potential and getting the performances up back to their best week in and week out, will only work if Rowett get's rid of players that have been bought in from other managers previously and build up from their on a long term plan with Rowett remaining for the future, so this team can finally settle down and get the performances us fans want to see from these players and what we pay for each season.

Try full stops r4j!!, us oldies run out of breath!! I agree it is a long way back, how long it takes will depend on Mel's willingness to dig deep into his pockets again!! After the disasters from the past will he trust GR's ability to get transfers right!!

Quote Originally Posted by macstheman View Post
    Try full stops r4j!!, us oldies run out of breath!! I agree it is a long way back, how long it takes will depend on Mel's willingness to dig deep into his pockets again!! After the disasters from the past will he trust GR's ability to get transfers right!!
    We should only spend if we are going to allow Rowett a long term future to rebuild this squad into his mold from a squad that is disorganised and molded by different manages that has lost it's way. No point in spending money after money if we keep changing managers and disorganising this team even further by adding different styles from different managers, because then there is no progress and building only setting yourself back to square one and left with a right mess to sort out afterwards in fixing the mess made by other managers gone by and trying to get other managers player's to suit your philosophy. Has that worked out so far no it hasn't and the sooner we have a long term plan in place to build and make progress and get a stable team in place we can all be proud of, the better and the sooner we can achieve success on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishing Rod View Post
    For me he's a goal scorer and an excellent link player if he's got players to link with. I can't understand why we can't go to two upfront and offer him some support that way. I remember him and Grant Holt ripping us apart for Norwich. Neither had any pace, but they worked together and we couldn't handle them.

He's showed he wants to play for us, and he's scored plenty of goals for us. Why not get behind and support him as our most likely scorer? Why do we question a guy who agreed, might not have the best body language, but various bits of gossip are taken instead of him being a top six centre forward for the past three years?

Give 'our' Chrissy a chance, and he'll score.

As for a nickname - 'The Chest'!
    Agree with this, I think he'd make a much better player as a strike partner, I was really hoping him and Vydra might find a spark. Never going to happen in our current system unfortunately. Fed up of this lone striker business, we don't have a decent enough midfield for it to work.

Martin plus Vydra probably guarantees twenty five to thirty goals at this level whilst Nugent and Martin probably guarantees twenty to twenty five. At least without any support from midfield, two upfront would allow some sort of potential to create a chance!

I don't care what system we play, but can we all start to support our number nine?

I didn't like Sturridge when he played for us, but I could see his value despite his attitude and ego, but Martin is an international goal scorer who wants to play for us.

Fishing Rod? Now that's one of the more interesting nicks we've seen. Very novel

For me, we need to see Martin in a 442 with a CF prepared to play around him. Team will then create more chances, and then easier to judge. Personally I would like to see Nugent & Vydra start up top

Quote Originally Posted by su4eranio View Post
    For me, we need to see Martin in a 442 with a CF prepared to play around him. Team will then create more chances, and then easier to judge. Personally I would like to see Nugent & Vydra start up top
    Yup 442 and SOMEONE in the other 9 should surely be able to serve up some decent passes to the 2. My preference Martin/Vydra til 60 mins and if its not working, Nugent/Vydra and actually change the method. SURELY professional players can adapt to different styles between/within matches, I remember being (the worst player) in decent school teams that could do that simple thing....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)