+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: O/T Speeding

Quote Originally Posted by keldsyke View Post
    So you come on here and ruin another thread with grammar ****e. Unfortunately my Profanisaurus sez different. Get a life, and contribute something worthwhile.
    Then your Profanisaurus is wrong! Do you even understand what my post was saying?
    I'll tell you a true story about what would be effective in stopping speeding.
    Many moons ago I went for a training run down the local Forge Valley. It's quite dangerous territory because there is no discernible footpath and motorists pay little heed to the 40 mph limit on a twisting country road.
    A guy passed me doing about 70. I heard an horrendous squealing of tyres and a loud thump round the next corner. I put on a spurt to find a large deer in its death throes beneath the guy's front wheels. It was making a soul-destroying noise and twitching in its dying moments. The driver was sitting next to it by the roadside. He was in pieces and it wasn't because of the state of his car.
    So you see, Queenie, Pedro and others who think speed limits are for ***** drivers, the moral in driving as in life itself is this: you never know what's round the next corner.

So you're changing your story from your original ridiculous post?
    no ...............
    and like I say its about driving to the conditions and environment.
    is it life threatening and dangerous to be doing 45 in a 40 area where there is no traffic and the weather is sunny yet you get a ticket for speeding.
    its pure myth that speeding cameras are there to prevent accidents , they are there to make money.
    I would say the majority of places where mobile speed camera's are placed are there to catch people speeding to generate cash , not to stop an accident , as these places do not seem to be accident black spots !!!

Take my quotes out of context if you like but I am on about normal ever day roads away from schools and built up areas where the authorities milk the motorist for all they can.
    and while where at it , what is wrong driving 30mph in a 20 area when there is no one about ....?
    when I drive I observe the area around me so I can see if things are potentially hazardous or not !!! and stop if needed !!

I think you're missing my point, we all creep over, I've been on a speed awareness course and have 3 points as well. But there's an element that just ignore the signs and drive excessively driving knowing that they are doing possibly 20mph+ the limit. I never thought I'd say it but with the less police on the roads average speed cameras maybe the answer.
    UK roads are a lot more congested in the main than on here. In some parts of Australia ( NT) on regional roads there isnt even a speed limit. I guess yes it may work there but I doubt it. It may slow people down but are there more effective ways to save lives? The easiest way is to put a speed limiter on every car if you want to slow people down. If the cars cant go faster than the speed limit they cant speed and there is no need for enforcement. Problem solved again by QP!

Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheFisherman66 View Post
    no ...............
    and like I say its about driving to the conditions and environment.
    is it life threatening and dangerous to be doing 45 in a 40 area where there is no traffic and the weather is sunny yet you get a ticket for speeding.
    its pure myth that speeding cameras are there to prevent accidents , they are there to make money.
    I would say the majority of places where mobile speed camera's are placed are there to catch people speeding to generate cash , not to stop an accident , as these places do not seem to be accident black spots !!!

Take my quotes out of context if you like but I am on about normal ever day roads away from schools and built up areas where the authorities milk the motorist for all they can.
    and while where at it , what is wrong driving 30mph in a 20 area when there is no one about ....?
    when I drive I observe the area around me so I can see if things are potentially hazardous or not !!! and stop if needed !!
    You're changing your story again, how do you know nobody is about? As said before a child runs out you're doing well in excess of what you should be, you're braking distance goes up.

People speeding in built up areas is a big problem.

You're changing your story again, how do you know nobody is about? As said before a child runs out you're doing well in excess of what you should be, you're braking distance goes up.

People speeding in built up areas is a big problem.
    I have eyes ..
    in forty years of driving I have only had 23 accidents and off them only eleven of those were my fault.
    I make that less than 50% of them were my fault, and that also more than a year at a time on average without having a crash so I can say with great authority that I am a good driver , it shows others do not watch the road the conditions and environment as they should.
    This also includes pedestrians !

I have eyes ..
    in forty years of driving I have only had 23 accidents and off them only eleven of those were my fault.
    I make that less than 50% of them were my fault, and that also more than a year at a time on average without having a crash so I can say with great authority that I am a good driver , it shows others do not watch the road the conditions and environment as they should.
    11 accidents in 40 years is shocking. I've had 2 at fault accidents in 22 years. Both of them extremely minor and not speed related.

I have eyes ..
    23 accidents 😳😳😳 is this post a wind up??
    Last edited by keldsyke; 16-08-2017 at 06:07 AM.

I have eyes ..
    Please let me know what area you drive in and at what times and I'll ensure I'm somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    Please let me know what area you drive in and at what times and I'll ensure I'm somewhere else.
    Sounds like you wouldn't see him coming wherever you where , whoosh...............

Quote Originally Posted by them0uf View Post
    Speeding in residential areas is a problem, as is just not knowing the rules of the road.

I do wonder whether part of the problem with speeding is a lack of respect for the limit itself. In my view 70mph is far too low on motorways, where 90mph would be reasonable. The trouble with 70 being so obviously low is that other, more pertinent, limits (20 or 30 in residential areas) are routinely ignored in the same way.

And don't get me started on mothers' (and some fathers) parking during the school run. Okay, clamping would leave the car dangerously parked but it wouldn't be dangerous tomorrow. Or the day after. (Or after that if they crushed it.)
    People that speed in residential areas deserve all the punishment they get. However our speed limits on motorways and dual carriageways are outdated. The 70mph was introduced for the Motorways at the end of 1965 so we are talking 53 years ago. Look at the cars that were made all that time ago and compare them to the cars of today. In comparison you could argue that a car built in 2017 compared to one built in 1965 could probably stop and react at 100mph the same or more compared to the one built in 1965 at 70mph. I believe the limit is kept down because high speeds are deemed anti social in this country and also because of the environment. In Germany they seem to take a view that the quicker you can get to your destination the more efficient the country moves hence the Autobahns with an 81mph limit or no general limit.

Driving fast is not always as dangerous as it is perceived. Planes fly above us at 500mph with no problems. What causes a lot of accidents and deaths on the roads is careless, wreckless, dangerous and irresponsible driving which speed is not the only factor.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast