+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gareth Barry

Quote Originally Posted by WBA123 View Post
    I've got mixed feelings on it,

On one hand Pulis has spoken about lowering the average age of the squad and then brings in a 37 year old.

But on the other, he'll slot into our system in defensive midfield and won't need to rely on pace so much there. We've got a threadbare squad which he will add to. I've heard he's a top professional so he'd be a perfect example for Field and Harper to learn from. And when the time comes to hang up his boots, he might fancy his hand at coaching or managing the youth team. So he could give us something back from that respect.

So all in all, there are more positives than negatives to sign him for me.

Give him a chance!
    The threadbare squad had three full internationals on the bench Saturday. All Pulis signings. Who clearly haven't improved the first team. If they had they would have been playing. He won't play him as a defensive midfielder though. He will keep Yacob in and drop Field. Lets face it though Barry won't have to run far just across our own 18 yard line.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA123 View Post
    I've got mixed feelings on it,

On one hand Pulis has spoken about lowering the average age of the squad and then brings in a 37 year old.

But on the other, he'll slot into our system in defensive midfield and won't need to rely on pace so much there. We've got a threadbare squad which he will add to. I've heard he's a top professional so he'd be a perfect example for Field and Harper to learn from. And when the time comes to hang up his boots, he might fancy his hand at coaching or managing the youth team. So he could give us something back from that respect.

So all in all, there are more positives than negatives to sign him for me.

Give him a chance!
    May be that's it.

They bringing him in to do coaching or managing.......
    the 'walking' football team that is.

He can start straight away.

They're a clever bunch up the Baggies you know!

Yes, he's getting on a bit but he can also play a bit as well. If we get a couple of good seasons out of him then it will have been worthwhile. I rate him. I will agree though,we do need to bring in some young legs with experience.

Good luck to him if he signs.

Would have preferred McCarthy, but they want a stupid £25m for him.

Surprised everton want a £1m fee, given they got him for free and his age.

After Gmac, I'm not writing him off just because of his age.

To date he has a great injury record, so hopefully no issues there.

If we end up replacing the gap left by Fletcher by introducing Barry then I for one will be quite happy with the change. Pace wise its probably like for like. Tackling wise Barry shades it and passing wise he is far superior than Fletcher. So although its nowhere near the exciting signings we want, if he is one of the five Pulis reckons we need then I am ok with it as long as a couple of the remaining four are younger and quality signings.

I have to say as with any West Brom signing I will always give them total support.

Am I happy about the signing, no. Do I think it is a priority signing, no. Can I see any positives, not really, except maybe I think he played a few games at left back for Everton last year!! He possibly is a better bet that Fletcher who he will surely replace.

For me we still need the 5 signings that TP mentioned. I certainly hope this isn't one of the 5 signings but I suspect it will be. Nervy 2 weeks to go until the window closes. Let's hope the other signings are more long term.

We need pace in every part of the field and I cannot see Gareth Barry providing us with any. That said if he does sign, I wish him every success at the club and hopefully he can finish off a great career with a trophy and some great performances for the Baggies.

Barry is a better player than Fletcher and Yacob and will allow either Harper or Field to go and get some valuable experience and he can also play left back, as we refuse to pay the going rate for players Barry is the type of signing we are going to continue to sign.

Quote Originally Posted by BaggieBlood View Post
    Good luck to him if he signs.

Would have preferred McCarthy, but they want a stupid £25m for him.

Surprised everton want a £1m fee, given they got him for free and his age.

After Gmac, I'm not writing him off just because of his age.

To date he has a great injury record, so hopefully no issues there.
    Totally with you Baggieblood, How can any of us say he's too old when we love Gmac to bits and dont ever hold his age against him? We do need younger players, but there's nothing wrong with experienced players in the prem. I love Leko but if we had a team of leko's we would never make that last telling pass...why? because like a lot of youngsters he lacks experience, the experience to not just think about himself but to make the best decision at the right time. I would like to see some more signings now and yes younger ones but dont decry experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmeras View Post
    West ham get carvalho we get Barry says it all really what a joke
    What do you expect? West Ham are a Bigger Club than you and have the advantage of being from London where most players want to play.

Barry would be an excellent signing. I can't believe the Scousers are willing to let him go.
    Last edited by ImTopMan; 15-08-2017 at 04:32 PM.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)