shopify analytics
+ Visit Derby County FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Usain Bolt about to sign for Burton

Usain Bolt about to sign for Burton

If he joins it would be for one big publicity stunt with the media all over it and it will help to boost the clubs morale and reputation as a whole.

really? and here was me thinking it was for football reasons

Well according to virgin media he can play a bit

Back of the shed!

Quote Originally Posted by roger_ramjet View Post
    really? and here was me thinking it was for football reasons
    Football is a funny thing anything can happen.

Indeed it is, and you did

Lester Piggot would get a game at Burton! He moved faster than Bolt too

Joking aside, i wonder how fast he'd be running with a ball, he'd certainly outrun any defence but doing it with a ball as well?

Quote Originally Posted by StensonRam View Post
    Joking aside, i wonder how fast he'd be running with a ball, he'd certainly outrun any defence but doing it with a ball as well?
    I always used to wonder that about Theo Robinson...still do about Jonny Russell come to that.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    I always used to wonder that about Theo Robinson...still do about Jonny Russell come to that.
    Todays Andy Faber 'Message From History' takes us back to the 1980's and the NFL, the only analogy I can recall. world-leading sprinter (in 110m hurdles) for the previous four years Renaldo 'Skeets' Nehemiah decided to switch sports, and despite having no American Football experience even at college level, he was signed by the San Francisco 49ers for the 1982 season and stayed with them through to 1985, including winning that priceless Superbowl ring in '84. The message for UB is that just being fast does not a great or even good footballer make, Skeets was bloody useless from what I recall, he couldn't catch for toffee, and left the sport with his overall reputation blemished.

Against which I counter with Willie Gault: who would have won sprint medals at the Moscow Olympics but for the boycott.

He then went on to a long career with the Chicago Bears including winning a superbowl ring in Mike Ditka's great "Refrigerator Team". One of the fastest, if not the fastest, wide receiver in the game.

Against which I counter with Willie Gault: who would have won sprint medals at the Moscow Olympics but for the boycott.

He then went on to a long career with the Chicago Bears including winning a superbowl ring in Mike Ditka's great "Refrigerator Team". One of the fastest, if not the fastest, wide receiver in the game.
    Ah, 'The Fridge', what a player (or players) and a much better nickname than 'The Wardrobe'. Clearly I WASN'T the only person in UK watching NFL at that time

I wasnt in the UK - living in Bermuda at the time

We saw this type of thing a few years back with Dwain Chambers in Rugby!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ze9_FWtRFw8

Quote Originally Posted by Rattea View Post
    We saw this type of thing a few years back with Dwain Chambers in Rugby!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ze9_FWtRFw8
    He was big and fast Rats, but not much more...had a trial for Castleford but it didn't really go anywhere, unlike 'Cas' who have gone on to be the best side in Super League. He was never actually offered a contract.

Just to entertain this...

Is it possible that with a bit of coaching, he could be useful? Would be a nightmare for defenders wanting to hold a high line. Wouldn't need to run with the ball, kick it into a space and run there faster than anyone else. All he has to do when he gets there, is look for a simple pass. Even just have him chasing down centre-backs when on the ball, forcing them to kick long or make mistakes.

Maybe not a starting place, but could be handy as a sub.

If he goes to Burton Nigel Clough will probably play him in goal

If he goes to Burton Nigel Clough will probably play him in goal

😂

Quote Originally Posted by Manofpride View Post
    Lester Piggot would get a game at Burton! He moved faster than Bolt too
    Ah my favourite rider of all time, good ol' 'Sir' Lester. Who do you think was his biggest rival? I thought it was Steve 'the Kid' Cauthen.

On the topic, I doubt Bolt can last or withstand the pressures of footy, especially at league levels. His injuries itself would rule him out. But for a publicity stunt, yes, although I gather he supports the 'scum' - Manchester United.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast