+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chris , you have got some work to do...............

Quote Originally Posted by rodcurrie View Post
    I think Ched could well start on Saturday but don't forget when him&Brooksy come on as subs they playin against tirin defenders.I'm a big fan of Brooksy but i don't think our fans should put him under too pressure,i reckon bring him on wi 25mins or so to go and ease him into first team action.The need for a new centre half has grown wi Stearman's injury but Tufty knows what's needed.UTCB

I think Tufty will make changes soon Rod. I've not ben that impressed with Stearman to be honest, I just don't think he has the physical presence or arial dominance that EEL had last season, which we are now lacking. I agree regarding Brooksy, he needs to be eased in, coming on against tiring midfielders & defenders. For me Id start Duffy over Carruthers, Evans over Clarke, Laffs over Stevens. Oh and Flecks got to get to grips with the pace of the game more. Maybe contreversially Beard over Freeman? just thought I'd chuck that one in

Quote Originally Posted by U-F-O View Post
    I think Tufty will make changes soon Rod. I've not ben that impressed with Stearman to be honest, I just don't think he has the physical presence or arial dominance that EEL had last season, which we are now lacking. I agree regarding Brooksy, he needs to be eased in, coming on against tiring midfielders & defenders. For me Id start Duffy over Carruthers, Evans over Clarke, Laffs over Stevens. Oh and Flecks got to get to grips with the pace of the game more. Maybe contreversially Beard over Freeman? just thought I'd chuck that one in
    Agreed URO (unidentified ravlike object ) .......Chedwyn and the Beard to start - quality players both of them. The others that are struggling need to take a look at themselves and raise their performances.............they need to be fitter and quicker in body and mind. If they can't or won't take this step up - well the Championship isn't for them.

Might take a while to sort the wheat from the chaff - but we'll get there if we are patient.

UTB

Quote Originally Posted by Ayamonteblade View Post
    Agreed URO (unidentified ravlike object ) .......Chedwyn and the Beard to start - quality players both of them. The others that are struggling need to take a look at themselves and raise their performances.............they need to be fitter and quicker in body and mind. If they can't or won't take this step up - well the Championship isn't for them.

Might take a while to sort the wheat from the chaff - but we'll get there if we are patient.

UTB
    Nail on head there Aya. mmmmm URO, might have a think about that one.

Quote Originally Posted by U-F-O View Post
    You read my mind...

There's no point being a technically gifted player if you don't have the speed of body or mind to keep pace with the opposition players in the Championship. The only one we have is Coutts and even he is struggling to go toe to toe. Cardiff are a bang average side for this league and we made them look like world beaters just because their players are fitter, stronger and quicker to act. It looked like men against boys for large stretches of the game.

Players like Clarke, Fleck, Freeman and (dare I say it) Sharp enjoyed the luxury of more physical space and more thinking time in League 1. They're not getting it in the Championship and they're coming up short. Kind of makes you realise why they're constantly re-sold from the Championship back down to League 1 level time and time again. Enda Stevens looks like another one of this ilk. It's time for Championship players to sign on the dotted line otherwise we are in a relegation dog fight all season, make no mistake.
    Last edited by GuancheBlade; 16-08-2017 at 09:24 AM.

pity baldock got injured apart from freemans goalscoring ability i think baldock is the better wing back and yeah utilise brayford while were still paying him hes a championship quality player wonder if chris will throw him in at centre back on saturday also think it might be time to start ched maybe at leons expense

Well said. I think the key is how we do against the teams that are going to be around us. ie Bolton. Millwall and possibly Barnsley.
    We need to be realistic and say that it's going to take at least 2 seasons before even dream of a top 6 finish which is why I think the last 2 away games have been a blessing in disguise.
    The common theme for me so far is that teams in this league have so far managed to get behind our back line at will which does not mean 3 at the back is not working but more so that it's down to quality as well.

The front 2 look like they are a split second slower in attacking the ball but could be also down to the fact that championship defenders are a split second quicker.

I don't think we are miles away from holding our own in this league and I am sure that CW knows what he is doing. Hence the introduction of Brooke's and Ched who will play a part this weekend.

yeah agree with all of that tc to be honest im a bit suprised chris went with 2 up top in these 2 away games i thought he would have gone 4 5 1 to make things a little more solid and still think thats the way to go in away games a fit ched would be ideal for the 1 up front role

I suppose it depends on the personnel at the end of the day as I remember when we had Warnock as manager and he swore by the 5-4-1 or 4-5-1 system which worked with Shipperly up top on his own who wasn't exactly grease lightening with no disrespect,

Then more recently we had negative Nigel C who if i remember right played the Lone striker Jose Baxter with some success statistically despite criticism from most fronts.

I agree that a fit Ched could play that role particularly in away games but we still need pace up and down to make this effective.

Cardiff played with 2 pacey if not fantastically gifted wingers who lets be honest gave us problems all night so no matter how well we play and knock the ball about in between we will always struggle against pace unless we recruit some of our own to fight like with like.

Warnock is a wily old fox when it comes to seeing something positive in a player as when you look at Mendez -Laing for example, as when he played for us he rarely looked the part and although he gave us a hard time at Rochdale he would never be pencilled in as a potential premiership winger but Neil has actually made the unlikely seem possible here.

Quote Originally Posted by Currieisgod View Post
    I suppose it depends on the personnel at the end of the day as I remember when we had Warnock as manager and he swore by the 5-4-1 or 4-5-1 system which worked with Shipperly up top on his own who wasn't exactly grease lightening with no disrespect,

Then more recently we had negative Nigel C who if i remember right played the Lone striker Jose Baxter with some success statistically despite criticism from most fronts.

I agree that a fit Ched could play that role particularly in away games but we still need pace up and down to make this effective.

Cardiff played with 2 pacey if not fantastically gifted wingers who lets be honest gave us problems all night so no matter how well we play and knock the ball about in between we will always struggle against pace unless we recruit some of our own to fight like with like.

Warnock is a wily old fox when it comes to seeing something positive in a player as when you look at Mendez -Laing for example, as when he played for us he rarely looked the part and although he gave us a hard time at Rochdale he would never be pencilled in as a potential premiership winger but Neil has actually made the unlikely seem possible here.
    I think we could try, not that I know f3ck all like, the 'geese' or as El Tel used to call it 'The Christams Tree' formation away from home 4-3-2-1 with the the 2 pushing on when attacking to support the 1 then the 2 dropping back when we dont have the ball to make a 5 in midfield and harder to break down. Easy this football malarky isn't it

No further progress made on signings according CW

pre Dingles match interview:

#sufc boss CW confirms Richard Stearman will be out for between 2-4 wks with the hamstring injury sustained at Cardiff.

#sufc boss CW confirms #sufc (Scunny) are one of several clubs are interested in James Hanson, who's currently injured.

#sufc boss CW says talks are underway with Burton regarding the transfer of John Brayford.

Regarding incomings, #sufc boss CW says no progess has been made, adding that he wants recruits in asap.

Aside from Stearman, #sufc have no other injuries after Cardiff. Changes are still being considered. Decisions on that will be made today.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast