+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: And we all wanted a Striker.....

And we all wanted a Striker.....

Last two games for me showing we need a commanding person in the middle. At the back. We need a leader, we need an organiser. We need a Scowan. Someone who is going to get a grip when the ball is being run straight through the middle towards our goal.

I've banged on about the ball to the back post at crosses and corners not being met before..... championship teams leave this back door open regularly..... ... and tonight our first goal came from it.
    For me it was Jacksons missed header that gave them the goal, but I'm not blaming him as he did superbly well rest of the match. But their goal came the same way I've described..... man running in, right at the end of the cross.......

Hammil, at the moment in any other team would be the Captain.... (Hecky please take it Off Angus and let him be a great defender again...... it's obvious he can't concentrate on watching the game, and his own game..... something tells me he'll be SOOOOOO relieved when it happens..... he's not been the same since he got it).... Hammill or Davies......
    Tonight Potts took a booking for the team. Now I know he's not had the best of starts, but when he took the booking tonight he showed, ( along with a few good moves and some good positioning, and intelligent runs) that he can come good. I'd wait before judging him. Poor at Bristol, " waking up " against Ipswich, and "one foot on the floor" tonight...... I liked the booking he took, as he knew he had to stop the move, showed intelligence. And I think he can read a game.... Hourihane took a while .... remember.
    McCarthy and Hammil will be excellent together..... seems like Adam lives Macca coming forward and macca reads the game well..... one or two occasions when he was caught up front after a foray forward, but soon recovered.
    Pearson loves to get forward, and the lad has some skill.....for me he will definitely develop.
    One criticism from me tonight, and it's for a player who saved two or three certain goals... just thought Davo was a bit stuck to his line......

Williams wasn't right. (Did I see him really chuck carrots up, mid game?)
    Hedges....... what can you say...... just WANTS TO GO FORWARD, every time he gets the ball.....

I Criticised Adam Hammil last season, and I said he should be sold......
    I apologise mate........ tonight and Saturday you have fought, battled, scrambled, tackled, and not one petulant act ( and the sitting on the hoardings crossed armed when you were mad with the ref was an absolute CLASSIC!!!! ) ....

I think Hecky took you off to get the applause you deserve.... I hope so....... it would be a shame if he did it to say "I'm the boss" after that display. I think tonight Adam. You showed that it's not about Adam, it's about how the team does.....

Same team Saturday please chaps..
    Last edited by Jules88; 16-08-2017 at 01:24 AM.

Top pooast Jules. I agree wi ivverything tha sez so it must be good.

A performance where we had to dig deep and did it well. I would say it was more of a superb ball in than a missed header from Jackson who I thought had his best game for the club. Hedges, well if he continues to develope at the current rate he will be the next on Bruce's direct debit list, if he's still in a job.
    Hammill once we got the the second he was master class with his hold up play and no show boating. I've seen enough in the last two games to believe we will be fine a good battling performance with every man jack giving their all against a very good a Forest side who are head and shoulders above Ipswich Town.
    Let's all agree at this stage not to criticise any of these kids just yet they are still learning and getting to know each other's strengths and weaknesses.

Great post Jules. Couldn't get to see em last night but going for first time on Saturday so god to get a well observed insight.

I think you make good points about a lack of leadership. It's easy to just mourn the loss of talent with all the outgoings but losing the characters and the leaders from the dressing room is just as if not more hard hitting, particularly when you're not winning.

Hoping Hecky brings in a couple before the end of the window. Experienced general to anchor in the middle and an older head at the back. That said, chuffed to bits at how that set of young lads have bounced back from Saturday and ground out that 3 pts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jules88 View Post
    Last two games for me showing we need a commanding person in the middle. At the back. We need a leader, we need an organiser. We need a Scowan. Someone who is going to get a grip when the ball is being run straight through the middle towards our goal.

I've banged on about the ball to the back post at crosses and corners not being met before..... championship teams leave this back door open regularly..... ... and tonight our first goal came from it.
    For me it was Jacksons missed header that gave them the goal, but I'm not blaming him as he did superbly well rest of the match. But their goal came the same way I've described..... man running in, right at the end of the cross.......

Hammil, at the moment in any other team would be the Captain.... (Hecky please take it Off Angus and let him be a great defender again...... it's obvious he can't concentrate on watching the game, and his own game..... something tells me he'll be SOOOOOO relieved when it happens..... he's not been the same since he got it).... Hammill or Davies......
    Tonight Potts took a booking for the team. Now I know he's not had the best of starts, but when he took the booking tonight he showed, ( along with a few good moves and some good positioning, and intelligent runs) that he can come good. I'd wait before judging him. Poor at Bristol, " waking up " against Ipswich, and "one foot on the floor" tonight...... I liked the booking he took, as he knew he had to stop the move, showed intelligence. And I think he can read a game.... Hourihane took a while .... remember.
    McCarthy and Hammil will be excellent together..... seems like Adam lives Macca coming forward and macca reads the game well..... one or two occasions when he was caught up front after a foray forward, but soon recovered.
    Pearson loves to get forward, and the lad has some skill.....for me he will definitely develop.
    One criticism from me tonight, and it's for a player who saved two or three certain goals... just thought Davo was a bit stuck to his line......

Williams wasn't right. (Did I see him really chuck carrots up, mid game?)
    Hedges....... what can you say...... just WANTS TO GO FORWARD, every time he gets the ball.....

I Criticised Adam Hammil last season, and I said he should be sold......
    I apologise mate........ tonight and Saturday you have fought, battled, scrambled, tackled, and not one petulant act ( and the sitting on the hoardings crossed armed when you were mad with the ref was an absolute CLASSIC!!!! ) ....

I think Hecky took you off to get the applause you deserve.... I hope so....... it would be a shame if he did it to say "I'm the boss" after that display. I think tonight Adam. You showed that it's not about Adam, it's about how the team does.....

Same team Saturday please chaps..

Great post Jules thanks

I agree that we need an experienced player to hold midfield - Williams is a pretty decent player but, last night, wasn't as strong in the tackle as we need him to be - time to develop but, to be honest, I'd sooner have our own players
    Potts will be a really good player for us as soon as he gets better up to speed - after 70 mins he was looking a bit leggy
    Hammill superb all night as was McCarthy - Pearson developing well - Bradshaw starting to look a reight player! Had gets? Superb! A real gem!

I reckon most of us have always been fans of Adam Hammill, and we've only ever wanted Hecky to play him fairly. If hes off form or suspended or inured of course, then he has to be dropped. He didn't give him a proper chance last season and that for me brought about his inconsistent form when he did play. Now surely hes a regular name on the team sheet and that can only be for the good of the club.

And another credit to Adam, Davies that is!! hes been a star in goal so far and thats good news for us, and bad news for Townsend lol.

Im trying to take as many positives as I can from last night because it really was a good win and an important win as well, who knows what that will do to their confidence in the build up to the big Blunts match. All the improvements that each player is showing is a good thing and while this is still going to be a tough season and a steep learning curve, we've started to climb that curve now and fingers crossed, we will see it continue.

I must of been only person in ground that didn't rate Potts n' don't rate Pearson. Who allowed cross for goal. Also the 50/50 Potts wimped out of almost led to an equaliser for Forest. Didn't anybody notice us being second to every loose ball? Didn't anyone else witness Moncur going missing n' rightly being subbed?

Moncur seems to have gone a step backwards Ponty, and being taken off for the kid Bird last night might have given him a wake up call. We haven't seen much of any of them yet, but would you prefer Fryers then instead of Pearson ?.
    Id rather see Mowatt than Potts but Alex hasn't done himself and us many favours so far has he.

Fryers back for Pearson is a must Acido. I'd give Mallan a go for Moncur and bring in Mowatt for Potts. I've slated the lad Williams although for his effort I'd leave him in until I could find a replacement. Maybe the lad Lowe from Blackburn.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast