shopify analytics

Bet for FREE on football and win real cash bet4F is changing the game
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Academy future or folly?

  1. #1

    Academy future or folly?

    I know weve had this discussion on here a lot in the recent past, much to the scorn of quite a few, but is it really the tired, out-dated concept that many now seem to suggest?

    Perhaps my glasses are rose-tinted but I would suggest it is almost as relevant today for a club our size as it was 30 years ago. You only have to look at clubs like Exeter. Im not sure how long they have been trying to do this but whatever it is, it is beginning to bear fruit Tom Nicholls to Peterborough, Ollie Watkins to Brentford and of course the big one, Ethan Ampadu to Chelsea while still 16 (far too early but hey!), and now another 16 year old (Jack Sparkes) has just made his debut as a 2nd half sub. Damn, if they can do it, why should we stop?

    If we are going to do anything this year, lets be honest, it wont just be because of Daggers, Porter and Raynes. We need our own to step up too and the early signs are good with Garratt, Lowery, Ainley and Pickering. But the real jewel in our crown is George. If he can have the Nick Powell effect (he needs to score goals to do that though), then Im filled with plenty of optimism for this season. And even if it doesnt happen, surely we have the foundations laid for next season or the season after that.

    The academy is our future and will continue to be so until football finances take a strange twist or we get that wealthy benefactor. And if current team selections are anything to go by (no loanees!), then I think Big Dave sees it that way too!

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by somersetcrewe View Post
    I know weve had this discussion on here a lot in the recent past, much to the scorn of quite a few, but is it really the tired, out-dated concept that many now seem to suggest?

    Perhaps my glasses are rose-tinted but I would suggest it is almost as relevant today for a club our size as it was 30 years ago. You only have to look at clubs like Exeter. Im not sure how long they have been trying to do this but whatever it is, it is beginning to bear fruit Tom Nicholls to Peterborough, Ollie Watkins to Brentford and of course the big one, Ethan Ampadu to Chelsea while still 16 (far too early but hey!), and now another 16 year old (Jack Sparkes) has just made his debut as a 2nd half sub. Damn, if they can do it, why should we stop?

    If we are going to do anything this year, lets be honest, it wont just be because of Daggers, Porter and Raynes. We need our own to step up too and the early signs are good with Garratt, Lowery, Ainley and Pickering. But the real jewel in our crown is George. If he can have the Nick Powell effect (he needs to score goals to do that though), then Im filled with plenty of optimism for this season. And even if it doesnt happen, surely we have the foundations laid for next season or the season after that.

    The academy is our future and will continue to be so until football finances take a strange twist or we get that wealthy benefactor. And if current team selections are anything to go by (no loanees!), then I think Big Dave sees it that way too!
    Without doubt the Academy is a fixture and rightly so. Our only hope of success and progress is by developing our own players. Things have undoubtedly changed (not for the better) since Dario first established it and it is fair to say that the days of million pound or multi-million pound sales are a thing of the past. However, with good negotiations on sales of the likes of Cooper, Jones and Garrett there is still money to be made to fund development of future players. I am led to believe that there are some very good players who are not yet in the first team squad which bodes well for the future.
    Of course there is more to developing players than the sell on. Fielding a team made up of several Academy graduates saves the club money in terms of wages. I am certain that the likes of, for example, Pickering, Ainley, Lowery etc are probably on less than half the money that Porters and Dagnalls are enjoying. So the argument in favour of running an Academy stacks up on both counts. I am aware that particularly during the latter stages of the Davis era there were forcible arguments by some in favour of downgrading or even scrapping it and spending the money saved on first team recruitment. Of course this would have chances of success in the short term. But that is exactly what it would be, short term.

  3. #3
    Can't disagree with either comments.
    It is what we are at Crewe and should be proud of the achievements of the academy.
    I enjoy watching the youth games and trying to pick the next first teamers
    So many clubs have copied what we were doing.
    Only problem is I think the days of million plus sales are over.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by out0lunch View Post
    Only problem is I think the days of million plus sales are over.


    I wouldn't be so sure of that ...........

    http://www.skysports.com/football/ne...-ollie-watkins

  5. #5
    I know that you are reading this MikeSB. Are you tempted to come out of retirement again? Are you going to the matches post Davis?
    I for one definitely miss you.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Me For Crewe View Post
    I know that you are reading this MikeSB. Are you tempted to come out of retirement again? Are you going to the matches post Davis?
    I for one definitely miss you.
    Thank you. I may be almost gone but still read these boards most days and miss you all too..

    I've said I wouldn't post again but thought that was worth a reply..Seems DA has a nice blend of experience along with the younger ones and think we will do a lot better this season as a result. He makes me laugh every time he speaks and is refreshing to listen to. I have nothing to add about the academy you will be glad to know!

    In some ways players now being signed for 60-80 million and more in the PL which is bizarre to say the least, you would think that would increase the value of our graduates as well. But they will have to be something really special to attract them...Seems George is doing a lot lot better and so who knows? The only problem is we do need to sell someone for three quarters of a million per season just to break even.....The club of course knows that only too well!

    ATB,

    Mike
    Last edited by MikeSB; 17-08-2017 at 03:21 PM.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by out0lunch View Post
    Can't disagree with either comments.
    It is what we are at Crewe and should be proud of the achievements of the academy.
    I enjoy watching the youth games and trying to pick the next first teamers
    So many clubs have copied what we were doing.
    Only problem is I think the days of million plus sales are over.
    Strongly agree, though one or two of the young players could certainly go for 1m+ provided they build on their success to date.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeSB View Post
    I've said I wouldn't post again but thought that was worth a reply..


    I "cast my line" hoping for a catch - and I got one!!
    I just didn't expect one so early - but it is the one I wanted!!
    Welcome back, Mike!!




    Quote Originally Posted by MikeSB View Post
    The only problem is we do need to sell someone for three quarters of a million per season just to break even.....


    And of course I think we all recognise the risk, but I think it is one worth taking. We are not like Arsenal who have to stay in the same division year in year out (how boring is that anyway!? ), but the risk is part of the romance of supporting a club like Crewe.
    We've clearly had a few lean years on (and off) the pitch but the early signs are there that the worm may be about to turn.
    Let's hope so.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Me For Crewe View Post
    I know that you are reading this MikeSB. Are you tempted to come out of retirement again? Are you going to the matches post Davis?
    I for one definitely miss you.
    Glad that you replied or though I doubt that everyone would agree, but hey it is a board for discussion and different points of view. Early days of the season but most people seem fairly satisfied. If Cooper goes I think that we may have a player or two to replace him, step up Owen Dale. I guess that all that I have said justifies the existence of the academy but not 100% convinced whether we are the correct category. Seems to be doing okay without our Director of Football being around the place and of course thats another topic of its own.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Me For Crewe View Post
    Glad that you replied or though I doubt that everyone would agree, but hey it is a board for discussion and different points of view......



    And ain't that just the point?
    It's those who *don't* subscribe to that point of view that have lead to posts like AlexKnowAll's the other day!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •