+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 20 Mill for Wood = New Striker & CB

20 Mill for Wood = New Striker & CB

Big fan of Wood, on his day the best forward outside the Prem, and almost unplayable, but with the transfer saga rumbling on, clearly this has to have a negative effect, so needs sorting asap.
    If needs be bring in another similar type player - not McCormack, he"s long gone, older & slower, plus we have Allioski and Samiz now, and also another CB - Shaughnessy has great potential, but would be huge gamble to use as main player throughout season.
    The clubs recruitment this season, so far has been good, important that the above core positions are filled with the right quality, the squad then looks strong / well balanced - just need to find the right system.

Tempted to agree, Saiz +1 upfront in a 442 would be good i think. i Like Wood but 20M?

Strongly disagree.

Woods is a key player in the team, the team has been built around him imo. They know what he is all about and he knows what the team is all about.

It is highly unlikely that we will replace him with a striker of equal or better calibre and any new striker will take time to adjust. Our recent history suggests it could almost take them a season to adjust, e.g. Woods, Macontract, Becchio, Beckford.

As far as I am concerned, Woods is essential to any ideas of promotion this season.

I also think that with Janson, Cooper, Ayling, Pennington, Shaughnessy, we actually have a lot of options for the CB position if required, though a new recognized CB would be welcome.
    Last edited by LeedsFTW; 17-08-2017 at 10:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LeedsFTW View Post
    Strongly disagree.

Woods is a key player in the team, the team has been built around him imo. They know what he is all about and he knows what the team is all about.

It is highly unlikely that we will replace him with a striker of equal or better calibre and any new striker will take time to adjust. Our recent history suggests it could almost take them a season to adjust, e.g. Woods, Macontract, Becchio, Beckford.

As far as I am concerned, Woods is essential to any ideas of promotion this season.

I also think that with Janson, Cooper, Ayling, Pennington, Shaughnessy, we actually have a lot of options for the CB position if required, though a new recognized CB would be welcome.
    I think there is a conspiracy afoot. You, Tich and I all agreeing on this one!

Quote Originally Posted by LeedsFTW View Post
    Strongly disagree.

If you'r saying the team is built round him then HE is the key. A similar situation to last season....stop the crosses you stop Woods stop Leeds as many worked out in the latter part of the season....I'm hoping to see variations especially I think 3-4-3 with the players we have at the back in midfield and now attacking wingers. Am thinking TC doesn't want too many changes just yet as players get to know each other and some of the new signings get up to full fitness.

I wanna know what klich brings to the club, over 6foot tall unlike our other central midfielders, I'd be tempted to try him with the experience of Anita in a 442, why not try it vs Newport? Less to lose and more to gain, if we are screwed at half time, switch back to 4231

What if wood wants to go..do we still turn down 'big money'?

Could be bullsh1te but a rumour doing the rounds is he wants to go to Burnley.

The plot maybe thickening..but IF we do cash in it don't leave us with much time to get a suitable replacement in.

Too late in the transfer window to let him go now, we'd never get an affordable option in in time.

Agree too late to sell him.

Think we need to hope that we can persuade him to show some loyalty, by reminding him that we believed in him and stood by him when things weren't going well. Ask him to give us this season, if he fires us to the premier league he will be a Leeds legend and we can then offer him everything Burnley are offering.

If we don't get promoted, but he has a good season, hopefully he will have more offers in the summer and more lucrative too. Leeds will do business then.

That's the only thing I can think of, offering any more money to him would probably unsettle the rest of the team.

At the end of the day, if he truly wants to go, he will go, not much we can do.

Selling Wood isn't an issue of money. It's an issue of selling a proven goalscorer without guarantee of an effective replacement, or being able to sign a replacement at all. Wood also suits our style of play and with genuine service should have another great season, he managed to bag plenty last year without the likes of Saiz, Alioski and the best Dallas I've seen since we signed him.

It would be madness to sell him for any fee, as you're chucking away our best chance of promotion as we wouldn't be able to guarantee a good replacement in this time frame, nor would we have been able to guarantee it at the start of the window.

No brainer to me, unless he goes full Charlie Taylor on us. Keep Wood, possibly get a loan youngster in as an extra option with Ekuban as I've no idea what he is like yet. Maybe need a CB as well, depending on Pennington, I like Shaughnessy but think we need someone with experience and quality......like Bartley, hopefully Swansea spend their Sigurdsson money on Sergio Ramos or something and deem Bartley surplus!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)