+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: O/T England showing Windies the way

O/T England showing Windies the way

Currently 257-2 and root in full control

Quote Originally Posted by StensonRam View Post
    Currently 257-2 and root in full control
    Life's always brighter with England on top in the cricket. IMEO

Without bragging, I could score runs against that attack!!
    It must make Holding, Roberts, Hall etc absolutely gutted to watch. At their age they could do better. Utter tripe!!

Enjoyed a good day at Edgbaston yesterday. Not sure about the 'day/night' aspect in this country though. Yesterday was a pleasant enough day, in Brum at least, but by about 7.45 it was getting cold and many had left by not long after eight o'clock. As August is really the only viable month in this country for day/night fixtures...not sure it's going to take off.
    On the cricket itself...mac is right, West Indies were woeful tbh...nice to see Root and Cook get their centuries but we don't seem any nearer to solving at least two of the batting order problems for next winter. Wouldn't mind seeing Buttler restored - not at Bairstow's expense - but just as a batsman...and maybe Hales deserves more of a chance.

Admittedly the Windies aren't the team they used to be and for a long while now but England still needed to be complacent to avoid the banana skin(no pun intended), not sure I get this issue about the pink ball, I don't understand how sceptical some players are about, also don't know why it has to be pink for a night time match, why not make it day glo yellow

Anyway I've got some Thatchers in for later, the sun is shining, the smoked bacon cobs smell lovely and I'm looking forward to 2pm

Quote Originally Posted by StensonRam View Post
    Admittedly the Windies aren't the team they used to be and for a long while now but England still needed to be complacent to avoid the banana skin(no pun intended), not sure I get this issue about the pink ball, I don't understand how sceptical some players are about, also don't know why it has to be pink for a night time match, why not make it day glo yellow

Anyway I've got some Thatchers in for later, the sun is shining, the smoked bacon cobs smell lovely and I'm looking forward to 2pm
    West Indies 'aren't the team they used to be' could qualify as the understatement of the year. Their fall from being the best in the world is astonishing really. Lots of pace but nothing else at all yesterday from what I could see. Impressed with the visibility of the 'pink' ball yesterday...until the lights came on at which point it became as hard to see - from a spectators p.o.v - as any other.
    I reckon England will push on to at least 550 plus by tea/dinner/supper(?) this evening and will have them several down by close. All over, weather permitting, by tomorrow night.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 18-08-2017 at 09:27 AM.

Cannot see it ending by end of day 3...its still a good wicket to bat on although Chase got some turn yesterday so Moeen may get more in thie WI second innings.

600 and give them an hour at the end of the day but Cook may fancy a triple and there is plenty of time 😊 He may have the thrive to get there unless he naggers a knee.

Also we must not lose sight of the fact that WI have a lot of Hope in their middle order.

Hales coming back at number 5 gets my vote Ramanag but (and call me retro) I'd take Ian Bell to Australia as well. Stoneman got the one good ball of the day which was unlucky

Quote Originally Posted by roger_ramjet View Post
    Cannot see it ending by end of day 3...its still a good wicket to bat on although Chase got some turn yesterday so Moeen may get more in thie WI second innings.

600 and give them an hour at the end of the day but Cook may fancy a triple and there is plenty of time �� He may have the thrive to get there unless he naggers a knee.

Also we must not lose sight of the fact that WI have a lot of Hope in their middle order.

Hales coming back at number 5 gets my vote Ramanag but (and call me retro) I'd take Ian Bell to Australia as well. Stoneman got the one good ball of the day which was unlucky
    Have to admit, unless you're sitting behind the bowlers arm, it's easier to see the 'turn' on TV than live. Their bowling attack hardly seemed to be beating the bat virtually all day and the fielders seemed more concerned with jumpers and pockets than anything else. I think the one dayers are about mid September, God knows how cold they'll be feeling then.
    Happy to call you 'Retro Ramjet', can see your point about Ian Bell but doubt it'll happen.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 18-08-2017 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Have to admit, unless you're sitting behind the bowlers arm, it's easier to see the 'turn' on TV than live. Their bowling attack hardly seemed to be beating the bat virtually all day and the fielders seemed more concerned with jumpers and pockets than anything else. I think the one dayers are about mid September, God knows how cold they'll be feeling then.
    Happy to call you 'Retro Ramjet', can see your point about Ian Bell but doubt it'll happen.
    I don't think they will either, but a batting top 5 of Cook, Hameed, Bell, Root Hales has a lot more robustness than that which we have seen all year so far. Bell just for one last tour, the big challenge, would be a short term plug since we cannot go to Australia and hope to win with only 8 players batting. Strangely Hameed has had the best summer of all, despite (because of) not playing and his tighter defensive game might also be best suited for that tour. That said an opening partnership of Cook and Hameed might make the score 27-0 at lunch on day 1 at the Gabba

For Christ's sake the options have even made Gary Ballance look good, although he would be ripped apart by the Aussie quicks with his back/across/lbw style of play. he is the cricketing equivalent of the Derby midfield - their first thoughts are both back and across.

Quote Originally Posted by roger_ramjet View Post
    I don't think they will either, but a batting top 5 of Cook, Hameed, Bell, Root Hales has a lot more robustness than that which we have seen all year so far. Bell just for one last tour, the big challenge, would be a short term plug since we cannot go to Australia and hope to win with only 8 players batting. Strangely Hameed has had the best summer of all, despite (because of) not playing and his tighter defensive game might also be best suited for that tour. That said an opening partnership of Cook and Hameed might make the score 27-0 at lunch on day 1 at the Gabba

For Christ's sake the options have even made Gary Ballance look good, although he would be ripped apart by the Aussie quicks with his back/across/lbw style of play. he is the cricketing equivalent of the Derby midfield - their first thoughts are both back and across.
    Is Hameed still in contention? Tough place to go for one so young.
    Just looked at the WI itinerary...playing till end of September...Chester le Street and Manchester in second half of September...genius!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)