+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Have the board actually spent any money yet??

Quote Originally Posted by DonVincenzo (The II) View Post
    Ok so with all that considered, what happened to this years normal football budget?
    if all we have spent is the money we made that we dont normally make, where is the rest.

Cormack also investing which I forgot to include.

Milne with holes in his pocket again i think
    It's a legitimate question to ask.

I'm a bit perplexed about the Hayes money. If we spent £150k on GMS and £300k on May then that's £450k - let's call it £500k in case the fees were a bit more for argument's sake.

I suspect we've paid a decent loan fee to Brum for Stewart and to Celtic for Christie - what do you reckon? £100k each? Let's call it £300k in total in case I'm underestimating, again just for argument's sake.

That's £800k in total.

The Hayes fee was reportedly £1.3 million.

What about the cost of other players? Well they were free transfers - Maynard, Arnason, Tansey.

What about the extra money being spent on new contracts for the new and existing players (Logan / Lewis)? Well, we lost some big/decent earners from the wage bill last season whose wages would surely have been available to redeploy - Hayes, McGinn, Taylor, Jack and Pawlett, as well as Alexander.

Has our wage bill gone up by 500k on last season to account for the new squad?

Maybe it has - I don't know, but again this money is covered by the Hayes deal.

Factor in revenues generated from 2 cup finals, European money forthcoming and record season ticket sales as well as presumably health merchandise sales and you'd think we'd have a bit more money around.

And that's not even contemplating the extra investment that Cormack was supposed to have promised.

There's some smoke and mirrors going on here that's for sure.

That said, I'm happy with our squad.

Quote Originally Posted by afc_1983 View Post
    It's a legitimate question to ask.

I'm a bit perplexed about the Hayes money. If we spent £150k on GMS and £300k on May then that's £450k - let's call it £500k in case the fees were a bit more for argument's sake.

I suspect we've paid a decent loan fee to Brum for Stewart and to Celtic for Christie - what do you reckon? £100k each? Let's call it £300k in total in case I'm underestimating, again just for argument's sake.

That's £800k in total.

The Hayes fee was reportedly £1.3 million.

What about the cost of other players? Well they were free transfers - Maynard, Arnason, Tansey.

What about the extra money being spent on new contracts for the new and existing players (Logan / Lewis)? Well, we lost some big/decent earners from the wage bill last season whose wages would surely have been available to redeploy - Hayes, McGinn, Taylor, Jack and Pawlett, as well as Alexander.

Has our wage bill gone up by 500k on last season to account for the new squad?

Maybe it has - I don't know, but again this money is covered by the Hayes deal.

Factor in revenues generated from 2 cup finals, European money forthcoming and record season ticket sales as well as presumably health merchandise sales and you'd think we'd have a bit more money around.

And that's not even contemplating the extra investment that Cormack was supposed to have promised.

There's some smoke and mirrors going on here that's for sure.

That said, I'm happy with our squad.

Exactly....dont get me wrong, the squad is superb this season.....but is it just me or is there a feeling of 'that will do' going on here.

There is no way we have spent all the money we have coming in on top of the normal football budget.
    The extra mile without ruining us is what might make the difference between winning the cup final in the last minute and losing it.

Just saying..

Over to you Milne.

I'm sure there is still some extra money floating around but I don't want to see it being spent just for the sake of it. If a decent defender was available then that would do nicely.

I think we also paid a fee to get Arnason out of his contract and Tansey although free would have got a nice signing on fee as most players who sign pre-contract arrangements do. There may also have been a lot of bonuses paid out to the players at the end of last season due to reaching both finals and finishing 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by theram1975 View Post
    There may also have been a lot of bonuses paid out to the players at the end of last season due to reaching both finals and finishing 2nd.
    Should get nothing for the League cup final as no one turned up

Quote Originally Posted by TartanIvor View Post
    Should get nothing for the League cup final as no one turned up
    I turned up but wish i didn't

Quote Originally Posted by DonVincenzo (The II) View Post
    IN
    Victims CL Group Stage Qualification Bonus : £260,000
    Europa League Bonus £416,000
    Johnny Hayes £1.3m
    Miles Storey £1.99

Thats a combined total income of just under £2m.

Now call me cynical, but if you add this to the new shirt sales (& May 83 added sales), and season tickets of 11,000, AFC have taken in a fair chunk of cash this summer.

DM talked about the amazing support from the board to get the new squad in....have they actually spent any money at all that they had before all this came in? Thats what backing and support would mean to me.

or has it all gone to Aurora and her invisible PR mascot Sir Alex?
    Firstly, we won't get the Jonny Hayes fee up front in one chunk.
    Likely £750k now and the remainder over the length of his contract.

We've spent;

GMS - £150k
    May - £300k-£400k
    Loan fee Christie - £100k?
    Loan fee Stewart - £100k?

So that'll be the Hayes fee (the first main chunk) gone

Add in;
    New improved contracts for Shay Logan, Joe Lewis and both DM & Tony Doc.

Quote Originally Posted by RedStarTorphins View Post
    Firstly, we won't get the Jonny Hayes fee up front in one chunk.
    Likely £750k now and the remainder over the length of his contract.

We've spent;

GMS - £150k
    May - £300k-£400k
    Loan fee Christie - £100k?
    Loan fee Stewart - £100k?

So that'll be the Hayes fee (the first main chunk) gone

Add in;
    New improved contracts for Shay Logan, Joe Lewis and both DM & Tony Doc.
    Does anybody seriously think we'd have signed the guys we've signed without the extra income? Clearly there's additional expenditure.

Look at the quality of our bench compared to recent times.

A bigger, better quality squad will be costing more.

And you don't just look at one year's wages. Let's say you'd normally have a squad of 14 "clear first team quality". You've brought in some transfer money so you bring it up to 16. The two extra guys are signed on 3 year contracts at 3k a week. That's about £600K extra spending over 3 years, not counting transfer fees etc.

Figures purely illustrative of course.

Quote Originally Posted by OneBrianIrvine View Post
    ^^this. Baffled by this thread. For all their failings can't fault boards backing in this window IMO.
    Guess some people are never happy.

Sure, theres probably some money still kicking around, but I doubt DM will spend it unless he finds a player who is actually good enough to play in the team. Maybe he is saving some for January, when better options might be available. To repeat OBI, I'm not sure what the point of this thread is. Its pretty clear where money has been spent this summer - just look at the bench during a game for a start.

I would agree with OBI.

I think the board has backed the manager with the signings we made, we could easily have signed free transfers from lower league English teams and a few loan signings no one has ever heard of. I believe we were linked with a Welsh youngster from Fulham at one point so well done to the board for recognizing we had to replace the players who left with similar quality.

I'm not unhappy with the level of investment in the team or the quality that has resulted in our squad. I thought I'd made that point. Nor do I necessarily think there's anything suspicious about the difference in figures that we've rumoured to have spent and those that we've reportedly had available - incidentally, it's clear that the information everyone is basing their assumptions on, including me, is incomplete and potentially unreliable.

However, it's almost as if any questioning of the club is taken as a personal slight by some fans. It's unquestioning loyalty that got Rangers to where they are now... So you'll forgive me if I point out some anomalies.

The point raised by one poster about funding for new players being made over more than 1 year is legitimate.

But again it just appears that there is a surplus from the Hayes money that has gone unspent.

In addition nobody seems to be factoring in the reduction in wage bill we saw at the end of last season when some key players moved on. Fair enough that we may now be exceeding the total wages we were spending last year with the new players we have on board, but to the tune of 500k extra?

What about the additional income from European games, the revenue from reaching the two cup finals and finishing second, and the record season ticket sales? Would that not fund the extra we've maybe needed to put aside to cover the growing wage bill?

These are all legitimate questions to ask - it's unclear exactly where Cormack's investment fits in to this, and so until we get more clarity it's legitimate to query what the club is saying. It's not anti-AFC to do so. It's just perfectly healthy in fact.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast