+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: 5USport.

5USport.

In an effort to distract 'Retro' Ramjet from other 'irritations' and fao Manx and the like (i.e. those who understand investment)...I see that a significant Chinese company (5USport) have invested heavily in comparatively lowly Northampton Town. Four questions...why the Cobblers? What's in it for 5USport? Wouldn't we tick more boxes for a major foreign investor', or is Mel likely to oppose that on the basis of losing power and control even though he could recover some money?

I've spent quite a bit of time in China and their appetite for the UK generally is growing year on year though exchange control limitations are stemming the outbound flow on individual investments.

Larger institutional investments become possible as they often involve a Chinese UHNW individual sitting on the board of the recipient company which in turn enables a free flow of funds - some suggest this is a front for repatriating funds outside of China (others may say money laundering).

Football clubs are seen as something of a hobby/kudos statement, almost a 'I own a football club' brag in some quarters.

Back to Northampton and there could be a wider investment angle than the football club itself, a land/development opportunity maybe, the Chinese are rarely one trick ponies.

Interesting stat is that at present they own just four clubs in England and all are in Birmingham. A brother/sister partnership have also had clearance from the football league to assume control of Reading.

I would personally not want Chinese or any other Asian control of DCFC. Maybe its me being unusually apprehensive but I think back to Thaksin Shiniwatra and Carson Yeung and believe that at some point bad press will be attached to some of these investments.

RamAnag I've not really directly answered your questions but have cascaded my limited views for what they are worth and makes a change topic wise.

Quote Originally Posted by ManxRam View Post
    I've spent quite a bit of time in China and their appetite for the UK generally is growing year on year though exchange control limitations are stemming the outbound flow on individual investments.

Larger institutional investments become possible as they often involve a Chinese UHNW individual sitting on the board of the recipient company which in turn enables a free flow of funds - some suggest this is a front for repatriating funds outside of China (others may say money laundering).

Football clubs are seen as something of a hobby/kudos statement, almost a 'I own a football club' brag in some quarters.

Back to Northampton and there could be a wider investment angle than the football club itself, a land/development opportunity maybe, the Chinese are rarely one trick ponies.

Interesting stat is that at present they own just four clubs in England and all are in Birmingham. A brother/sister partnership have also had clearance from the football league to assume control of Reading.

I would personally not want Chinese or any other Asian control of DCFC. Maybe its me being unusually apprehensive but I think back to Thaksin Shiniwatra and Carson Yeung and believe that at some point bad press will be attached to some of these investments.

RamAnag I've not really directly answered your questions but have cascaded my limited views for what they are worth and makes a change topic wise.
    Well you know a lot more than me and most on this subject and at least I've learned what UHNW means so thanks for the reply.
    Can understand the 'brag' about owning Villa and WBA but it's going to take some level of investment, I would have thought, to make ownership of Northampton Town anything like as prestigious. No disrespect to them but I always think of Northampton as being more of a rugby town.

I've just had a quick look and the total investment for 60% share ownership is just £6m when put into perspective is less than we paid for Tom Lawrence and less than the sum paid by IPro for naming rights!

They probably see it as a launchpad for marketing outside of China, a friend of mine in Hong Kong asked me about sponsorship opportunities which I would not be averse to.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)