+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Deid (ex goalie edition)

Deid (ex goalie edition)

Deid at 78, John "Tubby" Ogston. Was oor goalie early sixties before signing for Liverpool and then Doncaster. Slightly before my time, but only just. RIP min.

RIP min.

A minutes applause for 2 tommorow

Even before my time. But a well respected goalie. RIP min.

Before even my time attending, although I remember him from the news reports of the time.

Page 172 of Eddie Turnbull's biog Having A Ball gives the inside griff about Ogston's move to Anfield.

Quote Originally Posted by 57vintage View Post
    Before even my time attending, although I remember him from the news reports of the time.

Page 172 of Eddie Turnbull's biog Having A Ball gives the inside griff about Ogston's move to Anfield.
    RIP Tubby. Good goalie - saw a lot of him (and there was a lot of him) when I first started watching the Dons.

RIP to another ex Don.

Main thing I remember about Tubby is he had a reputation for saving penalties - I think at one time he might have saved several in a row? Stattos will be able to improve on my imperfect childhood memories. When Bobby Clark took over he was considered an upgrade overall, modern keeper who could actually play a bit and liked to throw the ball out to a team-mate instead of just punting it up the park - a bit of an innovation at the time. Scotland international as well. But Clark hardly ever saved a pen. He was known for not bothering to dive towards a shot if he thought he had no chance or it was missing the target, and very occasionally got it wrong and stood stock still while a saveable one went in. Unlike Tubby, he never looked like he remotely fancied his chances with penalties.

When growing up in Dyce in the early 60's and being a budding goalie Tubby was my hero. He was fearless and I remember a game when he played with a broken finger and to me he became a man of legend. Here he is standing next to another legend Ally Shewan.
    Name:  12798926_10153279267051637_1170140411178242416_n.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  47.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by DollyLongstaffe View Post
    Main thing I remember about Tubby is he had a reputation for saving penalties - I think at one time he might have saved several in a row? Stattos will be able to improve on my imperfect childhood memories. When Bobby Clark took over he was considered an upgrade overall, modern keeper who could actually play a bit and liked to throw the ball out to a team-mate instead of just punting it up the park - a bit of an innovation at the time. Scotland international as well. But Clark hardly ever saved a pen. He was known for not bothering to dive towards a shot if he thought he had no chance or it was missing the target, and very occasionally got it wrong and stood stock still while a saveable one went in. Unlike Tubby, he never looked like he remotely fancied his chances with penalties.
    Not sure of the stars but my old man reckons he never let in a penalty. Find it hard to believe but he's convinced.

Quote Originally Posted by TubbyOgston52 View Post
    When growing up in Dyce in the early 60's and being a budding goalie Tubby was my hero. He was fearless and I remember a game when he played with a broken finger and to me he became a man of legend. Here he is standing next to another legend Ally Shewan.
    Name:  12798926_10153279267051637_1170140411178242416_n.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  47.4 KB
    F@cking unit of a man