+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: United 1 Barnsley 0 - report

United 1 Barnsley 0 - report

It is now 2 home wins and 2 away defeats for the Blades, as they repeated their opening day win against Brentford at the Lane with another 1-0 win against local rivals Barnsley. This was a dominant performance from United who in truth should have won by more than the single goal scored from Billy Sharp. United missed numerous chances to extend the margin in a game where both sides had a man sent off after an altercation between Leon Clarke and Angus McDonald on the stroke of half time. Overall, United will be pleased with a relatively commanding performance where they were the better side for much of the game and protected keeper Jamal Blackman well who had barely a save of note to make all game.

Chris Wilder made two chances with one enforced with Richard Stearman’s injury seeing Jake Wright come in and another tactical change as Mark Duffy came in for Samir Carruthers. Ched Evans and David Brooks were both on the bench and were joined by Burton target John Brayford. Barnsley manager Paul Heckingbottom kept the same side for the fourth successive side with talk of Chinese investment on the eve of the fixture.

The home side began on the front foot with Duffy heavily involved and the Tykes were forced back. United won three early corners and a free kick deep in Barnsley territory. Stevens sent over a dangerous cross that was cleared before a golden chance came on 6 minutes as Stevens sent another dangerous cross over and Sharp was unmarked on the penalty spot. He hit his first time shot goalward but Davies made a brilliant reaction save. Not long after a lovely interchange saw Coutts, Clarke and then Sharp combine and the latter was upended cynically right on the edge of the box. The free kick was taken by Duffy but his effort was deflected over for a corner.

United had dominated the game and Coutts then nearly fed Clarke before a rare Barnsley attack saw Hammill poke harmlessly wide. United were back on the attack and the opening goal seemed inevitable and it came when another decent move saw the ball switched to the left. O’Connell sent over a lovely cross and on the spot SHARP was able to send the ball into the net despite Davies’ frantic dive to keep the ball out. It was no more than the home side deserved for a dominant display.

United continued to attack and Clarke’s good work nearly led to a chance but he overplayed the ball before Coutts and Duffy combined before the latter just overplayed the ball. Barnsley had struggled to pick up the United runners from deep with Duffy in particular causing real problems. Stevens and Freeman continued to overlap down the flanks and the one-way traffic continued.

Barnsley has a brief spell of the ball but did not really threaten the United rear guard with smart defending from Wright and then Basham clearing up danger. Sharp was booked for a relatively innocuous challenge before McCarthy went in late and was also booked not long after. The game became a bit scrappy for a period with United not quite having the same control they had done but the visitors had offered few opportunities at goal.

Just before half time, there was a flashpoint as a player from either side were sent off. A long ball was chased down from Clarke but as it ran down towards Davies, it seemed McDonald had taken offence to Clarke chasing the ball down. Initially it seemed the defender pushed Clarke, the striker reacted by trying to brush him off but did appear to raise his hand. In reaction McDonald seemed to aim a head towards Clarke. There was no initial reaction from the officials and the referee did not seem to see it. There was no flag from the assistant who was closer to it but the referee decided to have a word with him. He may have had help from the fourth official but after they conferred; he brandished a red card to both player. It may have seemed a bit harsh but by the letter of the law both players probably could not have too many complaints.

Fleck had a shot blocked and United then won a corner and a free kick as Hammill was booked but O’Connell headed wide from the free kick. United ended the half as they began it; firmly on top but the two red cards had certainly added uncertainty to proceedings as the half time whistle came.

At the break, it seemed Heckingbottom has seen enough of a rather limp first half performance and made a double change taking off Moncur and McCarthy for Ugbo and Pinnock. It seemed a more forward-thinking change as Barnsley effectively lined up with a 3-4-1-1 formation to begin the game. United kept the formation as they had with Billy Sharp left up front on his own supported by Duffy.

United began the half on top with Stevens and O’Connell firing over after good patient build up in both moves. Duffy then shot wide after a good move from United and then Potts had another rare effort from Barnsley as he flicked his header over. United came again as a lovely move saw the ball switched from Coutts to Duffy and onto Basham. His cross was measured but Sharp just could not quite get there and on the stretch poked wide at the far post.

Coutts drifted away from two players to feed Stevens whose cross came in but just evaded two United players as the home side looked to get the ***** second goal.

Duffy had played really well but his efforts had taken their toll on him and he was replaced by the youngster Brooks. The substitute was soon into the action and drifted past Pinnock and nearly fed a chance for Sharp before he had another run before being robbed at the last moment.

Barnsley had not really had any attempts of note and Wright made a good interception before Hammill drifted inside but overplayed his pass. United continued to look the better side and were very close to another goal.

Stevens sent over a cross and Brooks got in front of his man and diverted it goalward but Davies saved with his legs; the ball squirmed across goal and agonisingly hit the base of the post before bouncing to safety. O’Connell then had a header tipped over when he maybe should have scored and then the same man had a header blocked.

Evans came on for the tiring Sharp with 15 minutes to go. United had been in complete control but it was inevitable Barnsley would have a late push and they did at least have a spell of possession.

Thiam came on for Bradshaw as Barnsley looked for a spark to get back into a game they had been second best for long periods. Potts shot well wide and then Hammill was also way off target before they finally had an effort on goal as Ugbo’s shot on the turn was saved easily by Blackman. Brooks helped see the ball into the corner as the game entered an additional four minutes but in this time the United defence headed and cleared the ball away and never looked that threatened. The final whistle came to signal another 1-0 win for the Blades at the Lane and signalled a respectable start to the return to the Championship.

United – We played really well today. It was the most complete performance we have had albeit against the poorest side we have played. We won 1-0 but in truth it should have been 3 or 4-0. It was the inverse of the Cardiff game where United were lucky not to be on the end of a hiding. Today though Barnsley barely had a shot on goal and Blackman made maybe one token save and watched a few other shots go well wide. United were in complete control and only poor finishing stopped it being more convincing. We began the game really well, Sharp should have scored and then did score. We had other chances and then there was the red card. After this I felt we looked like the side with a man advantage even though it was 10 v 10. We had numerous other chances with Sharp, O’Connell and Brooks all so close to getting the second. We had more of the ball and generally looked the much better side. The only concern was it was only 1-0 and that of course gave Barnsley a chance but despite us going a bit deeper that we would have wanted, we never looked like conceding.

Defensively we looked better other than a few moments where we looked a bit susceptible when they attacked on the break and we had committed men forward. A few times Hammill looked dangerous running at us but they never had any real clear chances. At the other end a bit more poise, better final ball and more ruthlessness and it would have been out of sight. I felt we played some nice stuff with Sharp, Clarke, Duffy, Stevens, Coutts and Duffy all heavily involved first half and then after Clarke went off I felt Freeman, Fleck and then latterly Brooks caused problems. We knocked it about well and as I say just a bit more clinical play and it would have been a more deserved win.

Player wise some mixed bags still; Blackman was untroubled despite a few nervy moments and his handling and general play was fine. I felt Wright and O’Connell did well but Basham and Freeman were a bit slow at times defensively. Stevens had a really good game. Fleck had some poor moment and some bad giveaways but then also did some good things. Coutts had a few moments of poor play but for the most part he was excellent. Duffy did well and always looked a threat. Not everything came off but he always got into pockets and caused problems. He tired but was much more of a threat than Carruthers from an attacking sense. I felt Clarke did well and was a real handful until his moment of madness where he got involved in something he shouldn’t have. Sharp missed two but scored one and was always on the shoulders and buzzing around. The subs saw Brooks look a threat showing his close control and running and nearly scored. Evans sadly looked sluggish and leaden footed.

Important to get another win after the two defeats away from home. We are mid table which is a decent start. Derby will be much harder next week but we go into it with confidence. We know we can get chances and get through teams but have to be more clinical. Expect Evans to get a start in the week against Leicester before next week. I still feel we are three players short, a big dominating centre half, a big dirty so and so in midfield and a quick striker. I am not sure any of the players that have played with Sharp so far have really pressed their claim. We need some pace up that end. The midfield pairing have found it harder this season against better players but today came out on top.

I do hope we can add to the squad and get those 2-3 we need to improve the actual staring eleven. One of my main arguments on the recruitment side in the summer was only maybe Stearman and Stevens actually improved the starting side. I also feel we are missing a trick by not looking outside the UK and do not seem to have any kind of European or International scouting infrastructure. That is something we have to improve as just using a purely UK (tried and trusted) type approach can be a bit insular and costly. A Lenihan, Leonard type player could arguably be recruited and a lot cheaper from outside the UK. That is one area I feel we need to improve on. Still I hope we will get those extra players, UK or otherwise, to give us that lift as we move into September.

Barnsley – They really were poor. I expected much better. They had a good win in the week and that took the pressure off. However today they were never in it really. United came out firing and scored in the first half and the home side could have been out of sight. It was one-way traffic and they did not have much of the ball, let alone create any chances of note. They had a spell of play around the half hour mark but again no real efforts.

After the break, they regressed again and the two red cards seemed to give United more time and space on the ball if anything. We came at them again and again. The keeper, the post and some fortunate let offs saw them remain in the game. They always had a chance at 1-0 I suppose but I cannot recall many real chances. They changed tactics, personnel and formation but it did not matter a jot as United won rather comfortably in the end. They lacked any real attacking creativity and they never had a concerted spell where they had the ball let alone exert any pressure on United. If the game had finished 3 or 4 they could not have really complained.

In reality, the manager Heckingbottom has done a superb job. To finish mid-way last year, on a vastly reduced budget to most at this level and losing so many key players, was a superb achievement. They have sold player after player and had a talented squad ravaged time after time. They have to keep rebuilding and this summer had to bring in more lower league players. They have to keep rebuilding and whilst they still have some decent players and will keep plucking out gems, I feel they may be looking over their shoulder this year. Today they lacked a real goal threat and the other way but for Davies could have been well beaten. They looked quite slow and lacked real creativity or drive in the key areas. They also lack experience and a relatively young side. The talk of Chinese investment swirled around pre-game and they do need some monetary injection to avoid this constant player turnover. Without it, I expect them to be in a relegation battle.

Opposition Man of the Match: Not sure there was anyone that particularly impressed. The strikers did not really look threatening but had little service all game. The defence looked stretched all game. The lad who looked most likely was probably Hammill; he got on the ball and at least tried to attack the defence. His final product lacked. In truth, the best player was DAVIES, the keeper. He made three outstanding saves that stopped it being more than 1-0. The one from Sharp was a stunner and not quite sure how he kept out the Brooks shot.

Opposition Weak link: Could be any one of 7 or 8 really. They never got going and even the changes they made did not make a difference. I felt that the defence always looked like they may concede chances and they struggled to cope with movement and creativity early on. McCarthy was struggling with power and movement of front two and went off but McDONALD was stupid in what he did. Albeit Clarke went off also but he raised his arms also and then aimed a head butt. Stupidity when his team were already losing and no need whatsoever to get involved.

Blackman 7/10 – Fine really apart from one awful kick to start the game and another moment where he missed a cross and got into no man’s land and it drifted wide. He does not exactly convince me though and my Simon Tracey comparison I made opening game stands; as he seems to relaxed (too relaxed) as he scoops up balls or chases down things. However, despite this he had done well and he caught/saved some routine shots today. Another clean sheet and one this time where he had little to do.

Freeman 7/10 – Decent performance. He did the basics well and his touch and passing was good all game. Thought defensively Hammill got away from him a few times but he put poor balls in. He at times got caught too far forward. However, attacking wise he was really good and turned them round the other way. Second half especially he really penned them back and had a few good moves and interchanges with others. He is another that I think will be ok at home against sides like this but against quick, powerful sides and particularly away will have to defend and that is not his strength.

Stevens 7.5/10 – Thought he was excellent. Comfortable on the ball and holds his position well as a defender. He had a difficult game in the week against some tricky opponents but today he was solid in all aspects of his game. Came onto the ball and attacked well also. Got two or three brilliant crosses in and I felt showed his strong running. Defensively he got some good blocks and tackles in. Did get booked for a late tackle. He is a strong lad too and quicker than I thought. Looks an excellent signing and an upgrade on Lafferty in this position.

Basham 6.5/10 – Ok but one of few I felt could be a weak link. He made errors that led to goals at both Middlesboro and at Cardiff and at times not convincing. I have to say I felt at times he looked ponderous and at full stretch. He looked somewhat clumsy I felt. A few errors nearly led to chances for them. He did get some blocks in second half and put in a super ball that Sharp should have converted but overall, he was one of the few that did not totally convince. His legs seemed to go a different way to what his brain probably intended! He kept going and finished the game well and was able to keep to his position and do what we needed.

O’Connell 7.5/10 – Solid game. He has been quite consistent to start the season and whilst some of the other defenders have been a bit up and down, he has been fine. Won headers and tackles and also got forward when he could and at times was like an additional left winger. Put in a super cross for the goal, had another shot over and then a header when the keeper tipped over (might have done better). He did what was needed at the back and helped us nullify any real efforts on goal.

Wright 7/10 – As always when he had played for United he never let us down. He got in blocks, headers and interceptions. He reads the game well and just does the basics. He struggled in the week against power and pace but today against a rather pedestrian attack; had things more his way. Not got much pace but he just gets into the right position and soaks things up. Once he did not clear a header properly but fortunately O’Connell blocked. He will probably play the next few games but will face some tougher test than that Barnsley posed. Today he was really solid.

Fleck 6.5/10 – Mixed bag really. He gave it away quite a lot and at times I felt looked ponderous and slow. Twice they got in when he lost the ball and at times his passing was telegraphed. Gave away a booking for a poor foul and at times positionally got into some bad areas. However, I felt he got stronger as the game went on and started to show more of the Fleck of old. He passed it better and started some of our attacks. He also got his foot in and won a few key tackles. He has not been at his best to start the season and the pace and power at this level seems to have given him more to think about but he is a good player and hope he will adapt to the faster pace.

Coutts 7/10 – Some really good things and at times looked in complete control but then other occasions became a bit sloppy and gave it away or was too far off when doing the defensive work. On the ball, he looked class for the most part. He showed some lovely touches and was able to drift away from players and showed excellent close control. He used his body strength and played it both ways, short and long. I felt he was dictating some of our better play but also at times could do even better.

Duffy 8/10 – Maybe our best outfield player. Came in for his first start this season and played well. He got on the ball, prompted and probed and used it well. He always looked dangerous and they could not pick him up. A few balls did not work but a few did and you always felt things might happen when he got on it. I felt Duffy made a difference and whilst he will rarely last full games he will still cause problems, especially at home. He showed that despite lack of pace, his touch and brain will still be an asset at this level. His play and forward running also gave more space for others such as Coutts, Fleck and Sharp. Not sure he will play every week but showed he still can be a factor at this level.

Sharp 7/10 – Always a threat. Had one really good chance when he hit a shot from the penalty spot area that was well saved. He maybe ought to have scored. Second half he could not just get across from a superb Basham cross and poked wide. In between this he scored with a typical poacher’s goal. He always was on the shoulder and always a threat. He got a booking for a nothing real challenge although ref seemed close to booking him for his gesticulating on the goal (claimed he was pointing to the fans in the upper tier but his rubbing of his stomach seemed aimed at the Barnsley fans) so maybe it was an accumulation. After the break, he linked well a few times and helped us continue to have more of the play. He tired as he was up on his own and came off for Evans but we did not look as much of a threat after he came off.

Clarke 5/10 – Actually was a 7/10 for his general play up the red card and causing problems with his strength and hold up play. Two of three times he got in front of his man and shielded the ball. He chased things down and was a threat in terms of occupation. His final ball was off twice despite good play in the lead up. He won a few free kicks also as we dominated territory and linked up well with Sharp twice; once leading to us winning a free kick. As for the red card; he seemed to take offence to McDonald pushing (Wilder said punched) him and raised his arms to push him off. After this the Barnsley lad seemed to put his head towards him. Clarke was the one who may have escaped but he did raise his hands and got involved in a grapple he did not need to. It was stupid really regardless of what their man did and the fact years ago it may only have been a yellow. The ref had little choice really or would have been hammered by the assessor. Now will face a fight for his place when he comes back from three match ban.

Subs:

Brooks – Lively and forward thinking. He drove at players, showed his poise and body control and looked a threat. He had one run where he went past two players and shot towards goal (maybe should have passed) and then another where he just poked at the keeper when maybe should have done better after another strong run. He then hit the post as he got across his defender and was very unfortunate not to score. Not everything comes off for him but he has got bundles of talent and his close control and touch/running is something completely different to what others offer. He gets defenders turned and worried. Duffy played well today and will retain his place but Brooks is a great option off the bench.

Evans – He looked sluggish when he came on to be honest. He tried a few ambitious flicks over defenders and some through balls but he gave it away quite a bit and looked a bit slow today albeit only in 15 minutes. Impressed with him in cameos in other games but today he did not quite get up to pace and did not get to the ball first. Be good for him to get an hour or so from the start on Tuesday night.

Wilder 7.5/10 – It’s a win and a much better performance than the two that we have seen on the road. He made the changes and they worked; albeit one enforced and Duffy was the man of the match. We started at a much better tempo and got amongst them. We attacked them and created chances all game. Only poor finishing and poor final ball stopped it being much more. It was a good, controlled performance and one where we thoroughly deserved the win.

Officials – Mixed really. The red cards will be the main talking point. In the old days both players might have been given a talking to or a yellow card at most but today with the assessors watching he maybe had no choice. Clarke raised his hand but so did the lad McDonald and then he went in with a butt (not sure anything connected from either player) but the fact they pushed and raised hands/heads made it probably a decision he had to make. Interesting the assistant never raised his flag and only intervened when a few players (maybe more United’s side) asked the referee to go and talk to him. The other yellows seemed straight forward apart from the Sharp one which seemed very harsh. Stevens and Fleck deserved to be booked for late ones as did Pearson, Hammill and McCarthy. It did not seem that dirty a game really but 6 bookings and 2 reds give it a different story. In general play, he may have got booed off but not sure he made many really bad decisions. We had a half-hearted appeal for a penalty on a foul on Duffy, they had one for a hand ball that never was but cannot recall too much that controversial outside of the red card. He tried to play on a few times both ways after fouls and did this well and went back and booked people when he could. A spell after the red cards, he looked like he had lost control a bit but after the break he got control of the game again. The assistant on the South Stand side had a shocker with two offsides, one awful one where Sharp was probably 5 yards onside and he flagged. Never seen the mild-mannered Alan Knill go as mad!

Crowd – 25,482. A bit down on opening day but making it top whack/Category A seems a bit much. I know it was a local derby but at this level there will be much bigger clubs/games I feel. That is not being arrogant. Still the crowd got behind them and there was good noise for spells before it became a bit anxious nearer the end before the team helped will them to the three points. Both Evans and Brooks got really good receptions when they came on.

Barnsley brought just over 2,000 and they seemed more bothered about anti Ched Evans chants than getting behind their own side. They quietened down considerably as the game went on and their limp performance showed no sign of abating. They came with their usual ‘Deedah’ and ‘Sheffield is a s**t hole, I want to go home’ chant as they came down Bramall Lane being frog marched by police from the station. They do seem a rather simple bunch it has to be said. I recall years ago when he police marched them the wrong way towards the Moor and back round a few times and they had no idea. They kept walking aimlessly. Today they seemed to take great glee in punching their chests down Bramall Lane and most seemed to have not let the lunch time kick off get in their way of the alcohol consumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadbat_DB View Post
    O’Connell 7.5/10 – Solid game. He has been quite consistent to start the season and whilst some of the other defenders have been a bit up and down, he has been fine. Won headers and tackles and also got forward when he could and at times was like an additional left winger. Put in a super cross for the goal, had another shot over and then a header when the keeper tipped over (might have done better). He did what was needed at the back and helped us nullify any real efforts on goal.

Wright 7/10 – As always when he had played for United he never let us down. He got in blocks, headers and interceptions. He reads the game well and just does the basics. He struggled in the week against power and pace but today against a rather pedestrian attack; had things more his way. Not got much pace but he just gets into the right position and soaks things up. Once he did not clear a header properly but fortunately O’Connell blocked. He will probably play the next few games but will face some tougher test than that Barnsley posed. Today he was really solid.

Fleck 6.5/10 – Mixed bag really. He gave it away quite a lot and at times I felt looked ponderous and slow. Twice they got in when he lost the ball and at times his passing was telegraphed. Gave away a booking for a poor foul and at times positionally got into some bad areas. However, I felt he got stronger as the game went on and started to show more of the Fleck of old. He passed it better and started some of our attacks. He also got his foot in and won a few key tackles. He has not been at his best to start the season and the pace and power at this level seems to have given him more to think about but he is a good player and hope he will adapt to the faster pace.

Coutts 7/10 – Some really good things and at times looked in complete control but then other occasions became a bit sloppy and gave it away or was too far off when doing the defensive work. On the ball, he looked class for the most part. He showed some lovely touches and was able to drift away from players and showed excellent close control. He used his body strength and played it both ways, short and long. I felt he was dictating some of our better play but also at times could do even better.

Duffy 8/10 – Maybe our best outfield player. Came in for his first start this season and played well. He got on the ball, prompted and probed and used it well. He always looked dangerous and they could not pick him up. A few balls did not work but a few did and you always felt things might happen when he got on it. I felt Duffy made a difference and whilst he will rarely last full games he will still cause problems, especially at home. He showed that despite lack of pace, his touch and brain will still be an asset at this level. His play and forward running also gave more space for others such as Coutts, Fleck and Sharp. Not sure he will play every week but showed he still can be a factor at this level.

Sharp 7/10 – Always a threat. Had one really good chance when he hit a shot from the penalty spot area that was well saved. He maybe ought to have scored. Second half he could not just get across from a superb Basham cross and poked wide. In between this he scored with a typical poacher’s goal. He always was on the shoulder and always a threat. He got a booking for a nothing real challenge although ref seemed close to booking him for his gesticulating on the goal (claimed he was pointing to the fans in the upper tier but his rubbing of his stomach seemed aimed at the Barnsley fans) so maybe it was an accumulation. After the break, he linked well a few times and helped us continue to have more of the play. He tired as he was up on his own and came off for Evans but we did not look as much of a threat after he came off.

Clarke 5/10 – Actually was a 7/10 for his general play up the red card and causing problems with his strength and hold up play. Two of three times he got in front of his man and shielded the ball. He chased things down and was a threat in terms of occupation. His final ball was off twice despite good play in the lead up. He won a few free kicks also as we dominated territory and linked up well with Sharp twice; once leading to us winning a free kick. As for the red card; he seemed to take offence to McDonald pushing (Wilder said punched) him and raised his arms to push him off. After this the Barnsley lad seemed to put his head towards him. Clarke was the one who may have escaped but he did raise his hands and got involved in a grapple he did not need to. It was stupid really regardless of what their man did and the fact years ago it may only have been a yellow. The ref had little choice really or would have been hammered by the assessor. Now will face a fight for his place when he comes back from three match ban.

Subs:

Brooks – Lively and forward thinking. He drove at players, showed his poise and body control and looked a threat. He had one run where he went past two players and shot towards goal (maybe should have passed) and then another where he just poked at the keeper when maybe should have done better after another strong run. He then hit the post as he got across his defender and was very unfortunate not to score. Not everything comes off for him but he has got bundles of talent and his close control and touch/running is something completely different to what others offer. He gets defenders turned and worried. Duffy played well today and will retain his place but Brooks is a great option off the bench.

Evans – He looked sluggish when he came on to be honest. He tried a few ambitious flicks over defenders and some through balls but he gave it away quite a bit and looked a bit slow today albeit only in 15 minutes. Impressed with him in cameos in other games but today he did not quite get up to pace and did not get to the ball first. Be good for him to get an hour or so from the start on Tuesday night.

Wilder 7.5/10 – It’s a win and a much better performance than the two that we have seen on the road. He made the changes and they worked; albeit one enforced and Duffy was the man of the match. We started at a much better tempo and got amongst them. We attacked them and created chances all game. Only poor finishing and poor final ball stopped it being much more. It was a good, controlled performance and one where we thoroughly deserved the win.

Officials – Mixed really. The red cards will be the main talking point. In the old days both players might have been given a talking to or a yellow card at most but today with the assessors watching he maybe had no choice. Clarke raised his hand but so did the lad McDonald and then he went in with a butt (not sure anything connected from either player) but the fact they pushed and raised hands/heads made it probably a decision he had to make. Interesting the assistant never raised his flag and only intervened when a few players (maybe more United’s side) asked the referee to go and talk to him. The other yellows seemed straight forward apart from the Sharp one which seemed very harsh. Stevens and Fleck deserved to be booked for late ones as did Pearson, Hammill and McCarthy. It did not seem that dirty a game really but 6 bookings and 2 reds give it a different story. In general play, he may have got booed off but not sure he made many really bad decisions. We had a half-hearted appeal for a penalty on a foul on Duffy, they had one for a hand ball that never was but cannot recall too much that controversial outside of the red card. He tried to play on a few times both ways after fouls and did this well and went back and booked people when he could. A spell after the red cards, he looked like he had lost control a bit but after the break he got control of the game again. The assistant on the South Stand side had a shocker with two offsides, one awful one where Sharp was probably 5 yards onside and he flagged. Never seen the mild-mannered Alan Knill go as mad!

Crowd – 25,482. A bit down on opening day but making it top whack/Category A seems a bit much. I know it was a local derby but at this level there will be much bigger clubs/games I feel. That is not being arrogant. Still the crowd got behind them and there was good noise for spells before it became a bit anxious nearer the end before the team helped will them to the three points. Both Evans and Brooks got really good receptions when they came on.

Barnsley brought just over 2,000 and they seemed more bothered about anti Ched Evans chants than getting behind their own side. They quietened down considerably as the game went on and their limp performance showed no sign of abating. They came with their usual ‘Deedah’ and ‘Sheffield is a s**t hole, I want to go home’ chant as they came down Bramall Lane being frog marched by police from the station. They do seem a rather simple bunch it has to be said. I recall years ago when he police marched them the wrong way towards the Moor and back round a few times and they had no idea. They kept walking aimlessly. Today they seemed to take great glee in punching their chests down Bramall Lane and most seemed to have not let the lunch time kick off get in their way of the alcohol consumption.
    I think you're bein unfair on Fleck mate,the tackle he got booked for was brilliant in my view,the late gr8 Trevor Hockey would've loved it,he did get caught in posession a couple of times but other than that i thought Flecky had a good game and his workrate was excellent(as usual).I know Blackman is only learnin his trade but i'm not convinced yet,i agree wi Duffy gerrin the man of the match award.It was an important win for us but as our Chris said we shudda rapped it up in't first half.Leon was silly grabbin hold of their lad,but by the time he's served his ban he should be rarin to go again.UTCB

Enda had his best game for us so far.
    Disagree re Basham, the goals you blame him for should not reflect on his performance in the Barnsley game. He played well IMO.

I thought Basham was outstanding and has been the most consistent player this season so far. He's playing with confidence and long may it continue

Also Fleck was great some great tackles.

Spot on that DB. Flecky needs to geeor trying to take on oppositions players on the edge of our box!

Quote Originally Posted by benditlike_Borbokis View Post
    I thought Basham was outstanding and has been the most consistent player this season so far. He's playing with confidence and long may it continue

Also Fleck was great some great tackles.
    Totally agree about a Bash mate, and he was playing with an injury yesterday. I've no idea why he always seems to be the one targeted by some who refuse to cut him any slack at all. It's all about strengths and weaknesses, and his strengths massively outweigh any weaknesses like a few dodgy passes. Bash and Jack epitomise all that's good about about Wilder's team (IMO).

I agree with you about Basham. He seems unable to get any power behind his headers. I don't think he's a centre half for that reason.