+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: o/t Question for the lefties.

o/t Question for the lefties.

Do you think all people who attend right wing free speech rallies are racist?

Surely that view, is stereotyping people and very bigoted.

Quote Originally Posted by the_idiotb_stardson View Post

Not sure about the context here - free speech generally - of course not.

But free speech against what? Religious extremism? Racial extremism? In support of corporation tax cuts and free market ideas in the NHS?

Women's rights? Are people who speak out about women's rights (traditionally left wing) in relation to religious extremism right wing or left wing??

My head hurts...

Been giving this some thought.

First, this should be a question for everyone, so why ask one group? I regard myself as non-denominational in terms of politics and religion, as I value being able to think for myself rather than 'tow a party line'

Free speech is crucial to a sense of owning democracy. With that in mind, I think that the far right and left should be invited to participate in government instead of hiding in the more mainstream parties i.e. let's get this off our streets where innocent people are being terrified and take it into government and out into the open. Perhaps we should ask each 'faction' to elect 6 representatives, and then get them into a safe space where they are presented with a host of policies and have to work together, alongside professional mediators, to form policies that are fully costed to address their concerns. No violence, no shouting down, no threats - grown up negotiation. Northern Ireland didn't contain it's terrorism until this happened (yes, I know it didn't stop, but it did ease off and allow economic and other regeneration and less danger on it's streets)
    Last edited by sawmiller; 20-08-2017 at 08:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sawmiller View Post
    Been giving this some thought.

First, this should be a question for everyone, so why ask one group? I regard myself as non-denominational in terms of politics and religion, as I value being able to think for myself rather than 'tow a party line'

Free speech is crucial to a sense of owning democracy. With that in mind, I think that the far right and left should be invited to participate in government instead of hiding in the more mainstream parties i.e. let's get this off our streets where innocent people are being terrified and take it into government and out into the open. Perhaps we should ask each 'faction' to elect 6 representatives, and then get them into a safe space where they are presented with a host of policies and have to work together, alongside professional mediators, to form policies that are fully costed to address their concerns. No violence, no shouting down, no threats - grown up negotiation. Northern Ireland didn't contain it's terrorism until this happened (yes, I know it didn't stop, but it did ease off and allow economic and other regeneration and less danger on it's streets)
    Proportional representation then Saw? i think this is long overdue in this country personally.

Quote Originally Posted by the_idiotb_stardson View Post

Bit of an odd question, though not surprised...to answer it, no i don't think they're all racist, i do though think they're misguided at the least, to follow a particular banner on a march kind of gives a neutral onlooker an opinion doesn't it? whether that's stereotyping or not, that's the impression any neutral would get surely?

I have always seen PR allows the healthiest form of democracy. The establishment across all parties don't want it and fear it which is why I think it is therefore more important it happens. With freedom of speech neo-Nazis and Communists need representation so they can be legitimately heard and responded to and bound by a clear set of rules of conduct (which we could do with clarifying and refreshing anyway)

Shouting slagging off and threatening don't really solve problems

"free speech"

Essential but rarely - truly allowed !

There is the "truth" and a great number of versions of that one "truth"....

That's why we have so many religious break away groups that tend to "like" one of the versions of the "truth" and join in to form a new religious format.

Same as political views and football views...

Frog said MM is about freedom of speech then banned me for some period for no good reason.....then there are the zealots that call for bans.

Each to their own.....opinions are just that but they are commonly repeated and repeated untill the opinion becomes fact.

This happens a lot on MM but people believe their own rhetoric....and ask for those that offer an opposition view to be banned.......welcome to Catholicism and every other major religion.

Oh - and MM......😊

I wonder if the mods on here would allow someone to post on here, in support of the terrorist attack in Barcelona? If you are in support of total free speech, then surely you would.
    Again, If I knew LBJ's real name and address and put it out, saying he was a 'Peodo', would you defend my free speech? Even if he got a brick through his window.

I think you just crossed the line brass !

Interesting points. Is it not a criminal offence to incite and assist with violence against another person or property?

I don't think condoning violence is unlawful? Assisting violent acts or inciting religious hatred I think maybe unlawful? This of course is different to questioning and challenging belief structures

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast