+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time for a change?

Time for a change?

The time wasting aspect of football has always been something that gets on my nerves, to some extent even when we are winning and doing anything and everything to see out time.

According to the BBC report, the most the ball has been in play in any Premiership game so far this season is 61 minutes with the least a shocking 47 minutes. Time to introduce timekeeping like other sports? Reduce games to two timed 30 minute halves or leave it at two timed 45 minute halves, in which case that Burnley v WBA game would have just been reaching half time at 4:45

www.bbc.com/sport/football/40993250

Something has to change Cam.
    The timer thing makes sense but would the traditionalists like it ?

One major inconsistency that annoys me is booking goalkeepers for time wasting but having no rule that stops winning teams taking the ball into the corner and making no attempt to do anything with it other than waste time.

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    One major inconsistency that annoys me is booking goalkeepers for time wasting but having no rule that stops winning teams taking the ball into the corner and making no attempt to do anything with it other than waste time.
    If the ball is in the field of play any team holding a ball in a corner during the said 90 minutes are fully entitled to.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    If the ball is in the field of play any team holding a ball in a corner during the said 90 minutes are fully entitled to.
    Yes I know, but they brought out a rule about keepers holding the ball so why not a rule change to stop blatant time wasting by taking the ball to the corner flag?

Likewise Brin, with the non contact nature of the game today I'm surprised teams looking to waste time don't simply put a circle of say 8 around the ball and play 'keepie'. The only way the opposition could break the circle would be to foul someone. Works in theory but might kill the entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Yes I know, but they brought out a rule about keepers holding the ball so why not a rule change to stop blatant time wasting by taking the ball to the corner flag?
    Fair point regarding consistency. I guess the only difference is that outfleld players can get tackled, but a keeper holding the ball can't - unless headed out of his hands, that happened in a Notts Forest game many years ago now as I remember it...

I read this assuming you'd decided to do the decent thing and pack in being a mod.

Quote Originally Posted by monty_rhodes View Post
    I read this assuming you'd decided to do the decent thing and pack in being a mod.
    I read it in the hope that he had given you a red card....Unfortunately not on this occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by kempo View Post
    I read it in the hope that he had given you a red card....Unfortunately not on this occasion.
    He'd have to hand out five red cards to get rid of you, Walter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast