+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So what about these Chinese billionaire takeovers?

So what about these Chinese billionaire takeovers?

Seems the failed Chinese consortium that tried to takeover Boro may have turned their attention to Barnsley and are apparently in advanced talks

What would be your thoughts be should we be targeted? We are a realistic target in my opinion because we are a potential prem club with infrastucture and fanbase and as the available list gets shorter with many of the larger clubs already under foreign ownership you would expect that sooner or later we will be on the radar

Better the devil you know?

Let's go for it because it's the only way we'll ever get back to the Prem?

http://boards.footymad.net/showthread.php?t=38199892

Just a personal opinion, but I would dislike it immensely if we ceased to be an "English" club with some local connection.
    Yes I know that we are officially only 50% English, but the real control (i.e. the football bit) still remains with us. I have been a shareholder (albeit a minor one) for well over 40 years and I would wish that to continue right up to the time I conk out. I would like to think, my heirs would also like to have a part, however small, of the club we all support.

I think it would be a very sad day indeed, if the great, historical Sheffield United ever became just another set of figures on a foreign balance sheet.

Even if foreign investment works out, and there are plenty of example where it hasn't, it entails the loss of the soul of the club. I think there is a pertinent question about who the club is for, who does it 'belong' to? We all know football is a big money business now, but there has to be roots and tradition, and a little bit of tribalism too. Otherwise we might as well all support Man Utd. Pick someone who's going to win something on a regular basis. Why the hell do we want to feel like we 'own' the club, like we 'belong' if its owners have no real connection to its traditions.

I feel United still 'belongs' to us. If I were an oiker(god forbid...) then I don't think I'd feel like that anymore. I'd feel like a customer, an exploited customer at that. As an example, what has Man City of today got to do with Man City of 20 years ago? Success sure, but at what cost?

I'm happy sticking with the ownership we have.

This is the footballing world we live in , well meaning local businessmen haven't the money to keep my club at the level we historically enjoy .

The alternative is to become with all due respect a Chesterfield .

It's not what I want to see but I have to accept that this is an opportunity for my club to get a slice of the action , keep our better players and establish ourselves at this level and possibly higher .

Selling our best players is killing us on the pitch as highlighted yesterday .

We have to take our chances , we may not get another shot at this .

Quote Originally Posted by FatherKnowsBest View Post
    Even if foreign investment works out, and there are plenty of example where it hasn't, it entails the loss of the soul of the club. I think there is a pertinent question about who the club is for, who does it 'belong' to? We all know football is a big money business now, but there has to be roots and tradition, and a little bit of tribalism too. Otherwise we might as well all support Man Utd. Pick someone who's going to win something on a regular basis. Why the hell do we want to feel like we 'own' the club, like we 'belong' if its owners have no real connection to its traditions.

I feel United still 'belongs' to us. If I were an oiker(god forbid...) then I don't think I'd feel like that anymore. I'd feel like a customer, an exploited customer at that. As an example, what has Man City of today got to do with Man City of 20 years ago? Success sure, but at what cost?

I'm happy sticking with the ownership we have.
    Yes, I feel sorry for those poor Chelsea fans and all they've had to endure since Abramovich took over.

Be good to hear it straight from the horse's mouth so to speak

"think Riverpool not Man Cirree.................."

Quote Originally Posted by Carpe_diem View Post
    Yes, I feel sorry for those poor Chelsea fans and all they've had to endure since Abramovich took over.
    The ones who can't afford a ticket, you mean? Chelsea is another example where the club has lost its soul and its meaning. Is it still a football club, or a corporate vehicle in a crazy arms race over who can spend the most money.

Quote Originally Posted by tomytony View Post
    Be good to hear it straight from the horse's mouth so to speak

"think Riverpool not Man Cirree.................."
    I'm not sure it would be a good thing to be owned lock stock by foreigners who have no idea or interest in a club's culture, but I think it must be pretty clear by now that McCabe hasn't really actively looked to sell the club or his share of the club. Even the Prince's involvement came about due to a chance meeting in an airport lounge. For the record I think the Prince's contributions did help stabilise the club when things were looking a bit dodgy, but that's a million miles from what's needed to really take us forward so we can complete financially. I don't think him or McCabe have the financial clout to do that.

If you look at the list of clubs that have had major investment or new ownership since we were in the Premiership, it's beyond belief that potential owners or investors haven't come forward to take a look at us. We've got to be as good or better a bet to invest in as any club outside the very top clubs on the face of it with the ground (he owns) academy, set-up, history and support, it's all there waiting to kick on. So there can be really no other deduction to make IMO then McCabe and his family had and have no intention of selling the club (for whatever reason), and are hoping that in Wilder, they've now got a manager who can maintain our Championship status on a low end budget or even follow in the steps of David Wagner at Huddersfield. They'll be no planned promotion push anytime soon, it'll be suck it and see and hope that a team comes good like last season, or the two good seasons under Warnock. And for the record, it still wouldn't surprise me if we sell Brookes just before the deadline because we still haven't had our annual kick in the nuts.

I don't want Chinese owners, nor Thai Owners, nor American Owners, nor Indian Owners..............I want my team to remain British owned. For the few success stories, there are more horror stories.

Money isn't everything - and unless you have an absolute shedload, like Chelski/Citeh.........it doesn't buy you success.

Am happy with the way things are at the moment - and am happy to be patient and see how this season goes. Its good to be back in the Championship. We have a decent squad who play good football....they are finding their feet.

If and when they get back into the Premiership, under Chris Wilder, it will be worth the wait.

I agree!! Money isn't everything. I enjoyed the football at the lane more last season more than I have for a long time. It's time something was done about the amount of money being paid in the game. It's become ridiculous in my opinion. I know this much I love United and I've followed them since the early 1950s and there is no way I will pay the ridulous ticket prices fans are having to pay in the premiership and some in the championship. They can go have *** with theirselves!!!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast