+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chinese Billionaires

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Basically it's franchise football in another disguise.

Buy Oakwell knock it down for redevelopment, build a new ground in the Dearne Valley, rename club the Dearne Valley Reds and all of the real fan base and heritage becomes a distant memory

Good luck
    50% of Oakwell is owned by the council to prevent that happening and as far as I'm aware the new owners will buy the club under that agreement .

Quote Originally Posted by millmoormagic View Post
    Kind of with Silly on this, i'd wonder what their ulterior motive was in buying into a team like Barnsley, don't take that the wong way, i mean an unfashionable South Yorkshire club, i'd say the same if it was us, i often think that if something seems too good to be true then it usually is, if it was us, i'd be worried for the long term.
    Are the Christians? One of the most famous Christians in China is a Missionary who came from Barnsley.

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    Are the Christians? One of the most famous Christians in China is a Missionary who came from Barnsley.
    Wtf has religion got to do with Chinese buying out Barnsley

God knows!

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    True, he's got three blue plaques to commemorate him in the town centre one of them in Chinese. Don't know of any other worthy people that have even one.

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    True, he's got three blue plaques to commemorate him in the town centre one of them in Chinese. Don't know of any other worthy people that have even one.
    Is that the plaque next to the Ronnie Moore one in Barnsley town centre Grist :-) :-)

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    The owner Patrick Cryne is under real pressure to sell the club , he's sadly terminaly ill and his family don't want to keep the club other than hold a 20% stake .

This is likely to be the only deal open to us and obviously someone needs to own the club .

It's a totally different scenario to selling the club at a risk and retiring to the sunshine .

Many of us are pyssed off at having to sell our better players just to remain solvent and it's clearly having an effect on the field given our results since January .

Without wanting to sound like we have some god given right we expect to see championship football and feel that's where our natural home is .

To sustain that requires bucks these days or we lose the inevitable fight and become standard league one with the occasional season in the championship .

That's our dilemma , we are not expecting getting bank rolled to the PL just someone to sign the cheques and keep us competitive in the championship .
    I'm aware of Mr Cryne's illness and it must be a really worrying/sad time for his family.

They must be really attached to the club not wanting to sell up completely.

Thing is when Mr Cryne has gone, would the family be willing or be able to sustain the club to keep it viabley run?

Again no malice to you or tyke fans but Chinese billionaires wanting to take over Barnsley who average what...,, 10k gates?

Doesn't really ring well. Maybe there is a rat, or a cockerel, rabbit, or whatever afoot and as a tyke fan I'd be more wore than optimistic.

Good luck and hope it all bears fruition

I think if we were in that position I'd have mixed feelings.
    I'd be quite excited that people with unimaginable wealth were interested in buying our club but I'd also be pretty concerned about what their ulterior motive might be.
    It sounds as though Barnsley are between a rock and a hard place because of the sad situation concerning your owner's health.
    However, Patrick Cryne has always come across as a genuine sort of person and I'm sure he'll try to put the interests of the club first when arranging its sale. Also the fact that the family want to retain a 20% stake is an encouraging sign.
    If the sale goes through I genuinely hope it works out well for you and you can bet all the local clubs will be watching developments with interest.
    Good luck.

These guys have got too much money for the sole reason to knock Oakwell down and relocate for a few million quid. They are massive into in hospitality, entertainment, retail, hotels, gaming, resorts, etc all across Asia.

English football in huge over here. Could be a combination of good way to impress clients, great kudos for their business portfolia and, maybe, an advertising vehicle to promote their brands in the Asia and Far East markets. They will have no reason to want to waste money and ruin the asset.

Just speculation on my part and wondering why New City Capital would do it.

Many thanks for all your kind words .

It's not clear why the chinese want to buy my club , that said we are debt free , in fact we are in profit to the tune of several million pounds , have a growing reputation for unearthing young talented footballers , we sit one league below the big time and we are available to purchase .

The only word we have so far from the consortium is that they are looking to extend their portfolio and are looking to invest significant but not extensive money into the club .

Their track record at Nice seems reputable , they wanted to purchase Hull and then Middlesbrough but couldn't reach agreements with the present owners .

We are third choice and clearly this deal should go through easily enough and give them the opportunity they seek .

We won't know of course what we have owning us until they have their feet under the table .

First job is to retain our championship status , a test of their commitment early doors .

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast