+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In Rafa we trust.............

In Rafa we trust.............

Regrettably not on the evidence of today's display.Three particular areas:
    1) Can anyone explain the logic of the Diame substitution ? Rafa's record on substitutions has always been questionable i my opinion.
    2) The team seemed to lack motivation.
    3) His defensive priority will not cut it in this league.

Things need to change quickly.

Couldnt agree more, he is way to defensive and stubborn

Aye we really need to get Pardew, McClaren, Souness or Alardyce back in there all available

In regards defence.

We're playing with a patched up defence because Spuds took out 50% of our starting back 4. Lejeune has looks good for us (well i think so) and we'll be stronger when he's back.

I trust Rafa. He picked today's side with one hand tied behind his back-partly because of injuries, partly because of lack of investment. He's brought back unity and pride throughout the club and on the pitch we're a lot more organised than I've seen us in a long while. After years of chancers and charlatans we've got a proper football man in charge.

However, he's not above criticism-and nor would he himself feel that way. I think he gives too much respect to opponents and is far too negative in his approach both in terms of tactics/formation and in the timing/nature of his subs (although today he responded immediately to their goal).And no, a lot of the time it's not great to watch but I think if Rafa had been able to buy better players we'd see a better standard of footy, albeit still functional rather than expansive. I accepted a while ago that Rafa came with a fairly uninspiring 'brand' of football but, for me, it's worth putting up with in order to have someone of his calibre as manager. If he's allowed to do it his way we'll be more than fine. Yes, he and the players have to accept some responsibility but it's the bigger picture that's the main problem, and that's Ashley.

And if anyone thinks threads like this are an over-reaction after only two games I think most of us can see the warning signs-we've been here before and very recently too.

basically I agree with what zippy said

I think Rafa's plan is to lull the PL into a false sense of security !!
    F*ck I certainly hope so after watching that load of shyte, we are absolutely no threat moving forward, it was a walk in the park for Huddersfield. We need to up our attacking tactics or we will be in a relegation dog fight all season long. I can't think of any of our side who played a decent game.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherTerryMac View Post
    Aye we really need to get Pardew, McClaren, Souness or Alardyce back in there all available
    The point of my thread was not to address the mistakes of the past .. rather the current situation.Of course Rafa is in another league to those you mention - he could hardly be worse.However I am nervous about the present situation for the reasons stated not least the negativity/substitution aspects.To put Diame on at that stage was criminal & lacked any logic - unless I am missing something.

i was completely fuming with todays game, we looked shlte, i was slagging off Rafa and the shower of shlt he put out.
    Had a kip and read some of my texts, my mate Macca has got it right (at least im hanging my hopes on it)

Rafa Benitez knows his worth and calibre, he knows Mike Ashley is lucky to have him, basically he is a politician, its a plssing contest between the two of them at the moment, Mike wont back down and Rafa wont be bullied.

Ultimately, Rafa has been made promises the fat man has gambled on, he hasnt got the players he wants or the cash he wants.
    The sinister side is, that Rafa has set the team out to perform less than adequate, (not to lose) but to struggle. Simply because he knows Mike will see the alarm bells of relegation and act accordingly.

I just think we are ****ed

Well said Zip.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)