+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: RIP Tony Millington.

RIP Tony Millington.

Sadly passed away at the age of 72. He has been confined to a wheelchair for many years now due to a car accident. He was one of my boyhood heroes and closely associated him with my schooldays. It was probably because I played in goal myself and he was in goal for Albion at the time. When people of Tony's era pass away it makes you think of your own mortality.

I remember my mate and I walked to the ground with him a couple of times on a match night. Dennis Clarke was another we sometimes walked with before the match. I suppose they were in digs local. Bobby Hope lived in a bungalow near Sandwell (Island Road) Park. He would walk his dog(s) and occasionally centre a few to us for headers. These players were accessible to the fans then. Not like today.

Couldn't imagine that happening today Joy......truly a different era alright.....
    Astonishing the changes in society with in a generation....

A lot younger than I thought he was. Remember him from when I was a young boy yet he was only 12 years older than me. He played 40 first team games for us before leaving age 21.

R.I.P Tony. I would have thought he was older than 72. Just looked him uhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Millingtonp
    My ist season was 1961 so i must have seen his debut v Man City.This was a couple of weeks after my ist match against Ipswich ,can't remember who was in goal for my ist match could have been Jock Wallace ?

I'remember'Millington'i'think'he'was'stand'in'for' Ray'Potter'.

Quote Originally Posted by soulman101 View Post
    R.I.P Tony. I would have thought he was older than 72. Just looked him uhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Millingtonp
    My ist season was 1961 so i must have seen his debut v Man City.This was a couple of weeks after my ist match against Ipswich ,can't remember who was in goal for my ist match could have been Jock Wallace ?
    You are correct, he took over from Jock Wallace although Ray Potter played one game before Millington took over. I was at the game, drew 2-2. Bert Trautman was in goal for City. Think Trautman might have saved a penalty; not sure, mists of time!

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    You are correct, he took over from Jock Wallace although Ray Potter played one game before Millington took over. I was at the game, drew 2-2. Bert Trautman was in goal for City. Think Trautman might have saved a penalty; not sure, mists of time!
    Hi, so from my ist game,there were 3 great managers Our captain Bobby Robson,Alf Ramsey and Jock Wallace.

Sad news. Unfortunately the most vivid memory I have is the 0-7 loss at Wolves. Liked him

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)