+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Realistic striker options

Realistic striker options

Every man and his dog will be linked with us between now and September 1st, it is clear to me that we need 2 strikers, we needed one before Wood left and now that he is almost out the door we definitely need 2, especially with Ekuban looking like he picked up an injury that could keep him out for a long period.

Now, I've not heard rumours, i'm just chucking names out there.

Troy Deeney- Now this I'd love, unlikely and difficult but one I'd be packing Woods bags for. Had a difficult season with Watford last year and with the addition of Gray to their front line as well as Okore looking to be ahead of him, his chances will be limited. He to me is unlikely to attract premiership interest and his Leeds family connections make him a possibility in my eyes. Would fit in immediately to the club, he plays with passion and desire, is strong and good in the air with a brilliant finish.

Leonardo Ulloa- To me not going to get the chances to play at Leicester, hes scored goals in both leagues and is just another Chris Wood really. Again like Deeney it would be difficult, but if we want promotion we've got to get one top quality in and he would certainly do a job.

Nelson Oliveira- I like this guy, gives you plenty of options and scores goals, for me if he is out of favour at Norwich and they're looking to get rid this one has a good chance.

Jordan Hugill- Not too sure, never really seen him play enough and you tend to know the good strikers in this league because they're scoring lots of goals, which he seems not to be

Nahki Wells- Never been a big fan but does score goals and played a large part in a promotion winning team so the kid must be doing something right.

Ones I've heard that I just don't see ever happening:
    Danny Ings- If he is even fit, he'd attract Premiership interest from likes of Newcastle, Brighton etc.
    Shane Long- He is a Leeds fan but again he wouldn't be short of suitors in the PL and his wages would make any move unlikely.

I've purposely left out the overseas players as I know little to nothing about them, but there are some that I think we'd be in with a shout with personally I'd go for Deeney, I know it's unlikely but I'd love his passion in our front line and then I'd add another young striker maybe on loan, we need 3 options and if Ekuban is out for any length of time then we definitely need to add two strikers: One tall unit who is good at holding ball up and one quick pacey lad to give us a different option.

agree Deeney would be a cracking choice, think he would fit perfectly into the "leeds mentality" cant see it though, especially as our recruiting/scouting system now is leaning towards foreign imports now, not a bad thing in general, just not sure if Deeney will be on the club´s radar.Might seem a more obvious choice for us than for our club!

Agree we need two. A shame because Ekuban in both games looked really sharp, brought people into play, and scored a good goal v Port Vale - hopefully he won't be out too long.

I guess one loan signing and one actual signing is probably most likely - i would like Deeney, or Jordan Rhodes, who scores wherever he plays, although it's a mystery why he became surplus at Boro (Karanka's decision) and now seems surplus at one of our supposed main rivals who spent what they did on him.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)