+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: The Takeover

So Nice are still a selling club

For many of us going to Oakwell is part of us , I've stood in a crowd of 1300 with my old man for a 4th division game in 1970's and I stood in the same spot when we had 33,000 in against Man City .

I've seen us lose at home to Workington and I've witnessed us beat Man Utd , Chelsea , Spurs and Man City .

4th division to the Premier League , the ground dropping to bits with rain water pyssing through the roof in the old Ponty to a totally bar one stand new stadium .

Nostalgia !!!!! Ive shyte nostalgia with this club , but that's just me and many more like me too of a certain age .

The thing is , nowt is forever and the younger generation see it differently and they are the
    supporters when we are dead and gone .

What do they want ? , probably Premier League in a new stadium I would imagine , some of our fans at 20 years of age have only known the Premier League , all seater stadium and expensive ticket prices , the shyte we moan about is probably laughable to them .

Is it fair when there's an opportunity to keep the club at least at this level to simply start kicking off about foreign owners blah blah .

We've seen some shyte but we've seen some very good times too and if we get left behind the younger generation and generations to come will only see decline , the kind of decline that's happened at Wrexham , Stockport , Chester , Tranmere and now Hartlepool , it can happen if you don't catch the right waves and it can happen to us too .

The Premier League and The Championship are growth areas and league one and two are going to be if not already dead man territory , gentlemen we are better than that , we have to be better than that .

Let's catch this wave and give it a go , it's not all about us and our nostalgia trips .

That's all well and good.
    Myself personally if things go pear shaped will not be coming over so much.
    I've brought friends & family over for weekends for 40 years.
    We enjoy the honest, say it as you see it humour of Barnsley folk, and the relationship Barnsley fans have with their club.
    If that goes I might as well save my petrol and go somewhere nearer to home.
    Even that Premier season had negatives for me. I could never get a ticket for any of my mates even though some of them had been to more Barnsley games home and away, than some of the folks sat round me. The eight lads that turned up and sat on the row in front of me turned up quarter of an hour late every week. Pi55ed up and not interested in the football at all. Spend the whole match abusing the away fans and refusing to sit down, occasionally thrown out by stewards.
    I'm falling out of love with football in general. There's nothing honest about it at all.
    As I said before, we up our wages to 20/30k a week, the bigger clubs will see us, and raise us another 10/20k.
    If Burton and Millwall find investors we'll still be paying less wages than anyone else in the Championship.
    Excuse me for not getting excited by it. It depends how they go about it.
    It does surprise me that people that have grafted hard, long hours down a pit are in favour of paying such wages.
    Look at Costa, Van Dijk, Sanchez and Coutinho all on strike. It makes my skin crawl.

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    For many of us going to Oakwell is part of us , I've stood in a crowd of 1300 with my old man for a 4th division game in 1970's and I stood in the same spot when we had 33,000 in against Man City .

I've seen us lose at home to Workington and I've witnessed us beat Man Utd , Chelsea , Spurs and Man City .

4th division to the Premier League , the ground dropping to bits with rain water pyssing through the roof in the old Ponty to a totally bar one stand new stadium .

Nostalgia !!!!! Ive shyte nostalgia with this club , but that's just me and many more like me too of a certain age .

The thing is , nowt is forever and the younger generation see it differently and they are the

What do they want ? , probably Premier League in a new stadium I would imagine , some of our fans at 20 years of age have only known the Premier League , all seater stadium and expensive ticket prices , the shyte we moan about is probably laughable to them .

Is it fair when there's an opportunity to keep the club at least at this level to simply start kicking off about foreign owners blah blah .

We've seen some shyte but we've seen some very good times too and if we get left behind the younger generation and generations to come will only see decline , the kind of decline that's happened at Wrexham , Stockport , Chester , Tranmere and now Hartlepool , it can happen if you don't catch the right waves and it can happen to us too .

The Premier League and The Championship are growth areas and league one and two are going to be if not already dead man territory , gentlemen we are better than that , we have to be better than that .

Let's catch this wave and give it a go , it's not all about us and our nostalgia trips .

Absolutely Animal. I'm thinking differently now to what I was this time last week. This could be a good thing. As you say, it's about the future

In an ideal world Hodger football would be fair , players would earn a good wedge without excess , clubs could rise through the leagues through sound financially planning and good management as we did and everything would be ok .

That's my dream ticket too , except that horse bolted many years ago .

Fed up with this town and club becoming a fecking victim , why the fuq can't we have a bit of toffee for once .

I'll tell you this nobody gives a feck about us doing things the right way , good old barnsley finding these gems and selling them on , what a great club they are whilst we struggle our tyts off to find some more and simply survive .

Fecked off with it , time we had a bit of candy and financial clout , ffs the fans deserve it after seeing everyone sold for the last 130 years .

I'd sooner die trying than accepting league one fayre I can tell you because we are squeezed out .

Put the right team on the field and a bit of ambition and Oakwell will be full to capacity every week .

If bastrd Huddersfield , Swansea , Watford , Bournemouth and Burnley can do it then so can we .

Played 4 of those clubs in the 4th division back in the day .

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    Absolutely Animal. I'm thinking differently now to what I was this time last week. This could be a good thing. As you say, it's about the future
    This argument about asset stripping is ridiculous with all due respect .

They've too much money to be bothered about a plot of land in a former south yorkshire mining town , it's worth two bob to these people in relation to what they turnover every year .

I'd be more worried if it was an investor with less money looking to buy the club to be honest , quick buck and away you go .

It might go tyts up for all I know , if it does it does , we'll survive like we always do but at least let's chance our fecking arm for once mate .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post

I've said this before on another thread about the Blur and White down the road. Can't stand the club, but pleased for the fans who are experiencing (Hopefully for only one season) what we have seen once in our lifetime. And It MAY happen again .. but it'll be a miracle under our current financial plan ( and again, if it does happen... will the same happen again in terms of giddiness?

You are spot on here Animal.... is it fair to wallow in our "Kes" Boycott, Gough Parky (2@) Bird, era when we should be looking to the future and looking forward for our young fans. We have experienced the highs, and lows, and stand sometimes as not wanting it to change from the "slag heap open end era" ( and I have a Workington Home programmme somewhere) .. and wanting a chance at the big time and an updated ground, better Social media interaction ( This is happening anyway, both on Ifollow, and as a club) and foreign owners.
    It'll come anyway. It needs to. And it will. Either a foreign owner chancing it, like some clubs now in the lower leagues (Blackburn??? ) or a genuine "Right, sleeves rolled up" outfit., And it may as well come whilst we are in the position we are now, being attractive proposition than trying to find an owner in League one ( which didn't happen) and League Two ( which will never happen successfully) .
    I say ( after some thought and a beer) that we will probably never have a better chance to attract a bit of dosh to push us forward.
    Last edited by Jules88; 22-08-2017 at 11:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jules88 View Post
    I've said this before on another thread about the Blur and White down the road. Can't stand the club, but pleased for the fans who are experiencing (Hopefully for only one season) what we have seen once in our lifetime. And It MAY happen again .. but it'll be a miracle under our current financial plan ( and again, if it does happen... will the same happen again in terms of giddiness?

You are spot on here Animal.... is it fair to wallow in our "Kes" Boycott, Gough Parky (2@) Bird, era when we should be looking to the future and looking forward for our young fans. We have experienced the highs, and lows, and stand sometimes as not wanting it to change from the "slag heap open end era" ( and I have a Workington Home programmme somewhere) .. and wanting a chance at the big time and an updated ground, better Social media interaction ( This is happening anyway, both on Ifollow, and as a club) and foreign owners.
    It'll come anyway. It needs to. And it will. Either a foreign owner chancing it, like some clubs now in the lower leagues (Blackburn??? ) or a genuine "Right, sleeves rolled up" outfit., And it may as well come whilst we are in the position we are now, being attractive proposition than trying to find an owner in League one ( which didn't happen) and League Two ( which will never happen successfully) .
    I say ( after some thought and a beer) that we will probably never have a better chance to attract a bit of dosh to push us forward.

The world of English football today is not what we all signed up for in our younger days , nothing we do as fans or as a club is going to bring things back to how they were , sad but true .

Work down the pit !!! Why would I want to see the young kids today earn a living like that , shutting the pits wasn't so much a problem for many of us , replacing it with feck all was and we knew that is what was going to happen which is why the people of this town fought like they did not because we liked going down a black hole every day I can tell you .

Anyway back to football , if someone comes along and offers something we all know we can't ever achieve under our own steam that keeps us at a level we have historically enjoyed then we have to take it .

I'm aware of the concerns and respect some of them , I hate regrets in life , cudda , wudda , shudda too .

As I say I'd sooner die this way than die in leagues one and two , we are barnsley and we belong in the championship holding our own and not struggling our tyts off .

We met a couple who were Coventry fans in a Birmingham real ale pub last year on our away match weekend to Brum amd we spent an hour or more listening to the woes of a fallen team, club, and supporters who didn't even have a ground to play at. Couldnt sleep that night ( despite several halves) thinking about how a club like that could end up with no home, and with no hope of a resolution.... hopefully the council are trying their best to protect the status of the team....God, the fell nearly had me weeping. We were doing great at the time and in the top half of the table ( won 3-0 away, a,d we were buzzing)
    I'm for progress, but in the back of my head I see the fella at the bar with droopy eyes and envious of "Little owd Barnsley" ... I don't want that.... but as some say....., it's a gamble.....

Agree with everything Animal has stated in this thread. I'm one of that younger generation, old enough to remember the days of Rammell, Taggart, Payton, Redfearn and later the promotion to the Premiership but not experience it. I'd just like to go to Oakwell expectant rather than hopeful as a starter and see where that takes us. The possible takeover will give us a greater opportunity to buy better players and win more than we lose and I'll take that for a starter and build a platform.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast