+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bigots in Football

Bigots in Football

This is something thats still everywhere ... racism in the large part has been tackled and its not entirely gone but not like it was. Now this seems to be the one both at football and in the workplace still seems to have an undercurrent of acceptance.

I think football is the main sport players just don't come out, although its in most sports too!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-41000016

You seem extremely keen to post abundantly here today instead of observing from afar!
    Which is correct. People expect their mods to remember they are posters first and foremost.

Now to the topic. Well Ratflea (my phone wants to edit it to Raffles, you can choose which you prefer), I think this is a bit over the top. The LGBT community is always screaming blue murder whenever something like occurs. But I've seen many remarks they make against straight people or those who follow certain faiths that disallow any forms of ***ual difference.

If at Brighton I would say it's wrong given the larger LGBT community there. You don't go to someone's place and mock them. But you can't say it's bigotry when it happens elsewhere. This is a football ground. Taunting is to be expected.
    Monkey chants and actual racism is never alright. But take Barnsley fans calling Forest fans scabs. If you want then all sorts of things have to be banned.
    If a gay person is barred or harmed then yes. Lock the offenders up. But I think just showing displeasure and encouraging better manners is the best way the to stop these chants.

"This is a football ground. Truanting is to be expected"?

So you are saying soon as you walk into a football ground social morality no longer applies?

How do you, or what gives you the right to decide race isn't acceptable but ***ual orientation is? Is mental health or issues up for debate in your world?

The "I've heard one of them call someone a name once" attitude not the kind of thing that four year old go by?

Quote Originally Posted by Romanis View Post
    You seem extremely keen to post abundantly here today instead of observing from afar!
    Which is correct. People expect their mods to remember they are posters first and foremost.

Now to the topic. Well Ratflea (my phone wants to edit it to Raffles, you can choose which you prefer), I think this is a bit over the top. The LGBT community is always screaming blue murder whenever something like occurs. But I've seen many remarks they make against straight people or those who follow certain faiths that disallow any forms of ***ual difference.

If at Brighton I would say it's wrong given the larger LGBT community there. You don't go to someone's place and mock them. But you can't say it's bigotry when it happens elsewhere. This is a football ground. Taunting is to be expected.
    Monkey chants and actual racism is never alright. But take Barnsley fans calling Forest fans scabs. If you want then all sorts of things have to be banned.
    If a gay person is barred or harmed then yes. Lock the offenders up. But I think just showing displeasure and encouraging better manners is the best way the to stop these chants.
    why is racism not Ok but homophobia is?

You'll never stop racism, homophobia or any other foul abuse in any football ground in the world, it's what happens. I've never ever been to a football match where everything is hunky dory, there is always some sort of wrong doing and I'll hold my hands up that I've spouted of myself at times as have all of us. Man Utd still get cruel jibes about the Munich air disaster and how long ago was that, but supporters like to get the opposing fans worked up for the banter even if it's sick banter with racial content. Chants from the terrace might be fun but not for the poor sod who's getting the stick, even the poor ref gets it (although at times they deserve it) Birds of a feather flock together It's a tribal thing and your tribe is never wrong even though they always are. You'll hear it again tonight against Grimsby and every other match you attend. The only way you'll stop folk abusing all of the above is arm the police and let them shoot on sound or sight!
    Last edited by Manofpride; 22-08-2017 at 01:20 AM.

You don't get it at rugby and that's tribal..... Can you get more tribal than the south Pacific islands?

Is it not learnt behaviour?

So Romanis let's here you try and justify prejudice???

You can't justify 'prejudice' and neither racism nor homophobia are ever defensible imo.
    Agree with Rats, a first this week, it is often 'learned behaviour' but only from lowest common denominator examples.
    My Dad took me to my first football, cricket and rugby matches and, without being a 'goody goody', behaved decently. I'd like to think I've done the same with my own kids.
    If you attended such formative occasions in the company of a parent who was an active member of the DLF or got taken by an adult who had oafish homophobic beliefs or joined in the Munich chants that MoP describes then the chances are you'll carry such 'baggage' with you, for a while at least.

Quote Originally Posted by triz View Post
    why is racism not Ok but homophobia is?
    I don't think either is, but there's a nuance here that I think's important, although it doesn't relate to footy-fan behaviour. Being a particular colour, faith, ***uality etc is not a choice (I'm sure some clever dick would say the latter two are choices, but as a Christian who fancies women I'll argue those with anyone who fancies it). But there's 'being' something and there's 'flaunting' it. LGBT folk seem in particular seem to think they have carte blanche to ram their ***uality down people's throats, and IMV such an action invites a reaction. There's a lot of double standards around this issue, with religion as usual getting the sh*t end of the stick - If your response to a Jehova's witness knocking at your door would be **** off! why is it not allowed to be the same to someone pushing their gayness at you?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    I don't think either is, but there's a nuance here that I think's important, although it doesn't relate to footy-fan behaviour. Being a particular colour, faith, ***uality etc is not a choice (I'm sure some clever dick would say the latter two are choices, but as a Christian who fancies women I'll argue those with anyone who fancies it). But there's 'being' something and there's 'flaunting' it. LGBT folk seem in particular seem to think they have carte blanche to ram their ***uality down people's throats, and IMV such an action invites a reaction. There's a lot of double standards around this issue, with religion as usual getting the sh*t end of the stick - If your response to a Jehova's witness knocking at your door would be **** off! why is it not allowed to be the same to someone pushing their gayness at you?
    Not being a 'clever dick' Andy but...serious indoctrination apart...'faith' surely is a matter of choice. You have no say over being a white hetero***ual but you've chosen to be a 'Christian' and to actively attend/pursue 'religious' activities.
    In answer to your other dilemma...if someone is 'pushing their gayness' at you...i.e. ***ually harassing you...you have just as much right to tell them to 'do one' as you do with a stubborn JW who is reluctant to leave your doorstep, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Not being a 'clever dick' Andy but...serious indoctrination apart...'faith' surely is a matter of choice. You have no say over being a white hetero***ual but you've chosen to be a 'Christian' and to actively attend/pursue 'religious' activities.
    In answer to your other dilemma...if someone is 'pushing their gayness' at you...i.e. ***ually harassing you...you have just as much right to tell them to 'do one' as you do with a stubborn JW who is reluctant to leave your doorstep, imo.
    Faith isn't a matter of choice, IMO, like which football team you support isn't, again IMO.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)