+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Yet again, the EFL stick two fingers up to loyal footy fans....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steward View Post
    Good job we're not involved anymore.
    it doesn't matter to notts because it's been years since we did anything in any cups​.

Doesn't bother me that much but it is just part of a larger series of events whereby running a sport has just become about making as much money as possible (selling tv rights, naming rights, letting betting companies take over etc) rather than looking after the best interests of the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    With attitudes like those, no wonder the EFL treat fans the way they do.
    It is pointless me even trying to have a meaningful debate with you. Much of what I have written on this thread is the reality of sport and in particular football. What can we as fans do? Refuse to attend games? That has really worked well.
    If you are moaning about my attitide towards traditions of football, the game has evolved beyond recognition. In many cases for the worse. Do I see you moaning about those? No, have you accepted them? Seemingly so.
    What are your thoughts on Spurs having Wembley as there home ground for this season? Has that not broken tradition? Yet I don't recall a thread about it.
    Traditionally, a player has been able to make contact with another player without fear of being carded, yet now, a player can be sent off for 'excessive force' or how I would phrase it 'a good strong tackle'... have you started a thread about this?
    The beauty of football is there are often so many talking points... as technology is integrated in to football these will become less so. Is this against traditions?
    There are so many sports that have broken tradition. Cricket is the obvious one with the introduction of T20.. for the purists they hate it. However, you can not argue with the numbers.
    But hey, that us just my **** attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    It is pointless me even trying to have a meaningful debate with you. Much of what I have written on this thread is the reality of sport and in particular football. What can we as fans do? Refuse to attend games?
    Possibly. There are several people (me included) boycotting the Pisspot Trophy in protest at the inclusion of 'B' teams. If we all just sit back and accept things the EFL will push their agenda much quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    If you are moaning about my attitide towards traditions of football, the game has evolved beyond recognition. In many cases for the worse. Do I see you moaning about those? No, have you accepted them? Seemingly so.
    I've moaned about some changes (see above), accepted some, even praised some. I just think that making the draw for an English cup competition in China at 04:15 is an open slap in the face to fans simply because a few EFL palms have been greased. If this goes unchallenged actual games abroad will soon follow.

Long time since I have listened to the League Cup draw live so don't really give a toss where and when it is made.
    Since they played FA Cup games all over the place I lost interest in all cup draws but I agree with the sentiment regarding the EFL.

Possibly. There are several people (me included) boycotting the Pisspot Trophy in protest at the inclusion of 'B' teams. If we all just sit back and accept things the EFL will push their agenda much quicker.

I've moaned about some changes (see above), accepted some, even praised some. I just think that making the draw for an English cup competition in China at 04:15 is an open slap in the face to fans simply because a few EFL palms have been greased. If this goes unchallenged actual games abroad will soon follow.

You keep your old ways eLite Pie and don't move with the times. If you want to live in a capitalist society ( and I assume you do) then this is what happens eventually. It really doesn't matter either it's absolutely not a big deal. We are in effect complaining about an early round draw for a relatively insignificant trophy being made in Asia where football has a large fan base. Hopefully everyone made a few extra quid. What I would be more interested about is how the few extra quid will benefit Notts. We very much live in a global economy now and this sort of thing will become more common. I think it's great that clubs like Notts have the opportunity to be heard and talked about in another country and I think you're being very churlish but each to their own.

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    You keep your old ways eLite Pie and don't move with the times. If you want to live in a capitalist society ( and I assume you do) then this is what happens eventually. It really doesn't matter either it's absolutely not a big deal. We are in effect complaining about an early round draw for a relatively insignificant trophy being made in Asia where football has a large fan base. Hopefully everyone made a few extra quid. What I would be more interested about is how the few extra quid will benefit Notts. We very much live in a global economy now and this sort of thing will become more common. I think it's great that clubs like Notts have the opportunity to be heard and talked about in another country and I think you're being very churlish but each to their own.
    These crucial words in your reply probably make my point better than I did - "this sort of thing will become more common.". That's exactly why I'm opposing it in it's infancy. You are right in so far that a draw taking place abroad is fairly insignificant, but in my opinion it's the thin end of the wedge. What will be next? The odd low level game being sold to the highest bidder abroad as a 'toe in the water' experiment? You might be happy if in a few years if Notts play XXXXX in Azerbaijan because we can earn a few quid more, but to me it stinks to high heaven.

These crucial words in your reply probably make my point better than I did - "this sort of thing will become more common.". That's exactly why I'm opposing it in it's infancy. You are right in so far that a draw taking place abroad is fairly insignificant, but in my opinion it's the thin end of the wedge. What will be next? The odd low level game being sold to the highest bidder abroad as a 'toe in the water' experiment? You might be happy if in a few years if Notts play XXXXX in Azerbaijan because we can earn a few quid more, but to me it stinks to high heaven.
    Quite right. All this change for changes sake is a load of *******s.

There was a time when the League Cup had nearly as much importance as the FA Cup ONCE had. Then the Premier League was spawned and the chance for money evolved and both competitions, certainly the League Cup (or whatever it is now called) diminished. The only reason the FA Cup still carries any interest at a high level is because of the route it offers to European money.
    No wonder the footballing world dislikes the English. Everything revolves around money and generating money. The pill would taste sweeter if you could the home nations kids coming through, too late now though.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123