+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Only 47 mins football at Burnley last Saturday

Only 47 mins football at Burnley last Saturday

BBC says we were short changed

One for the price of two? Burnley and West Brom fans saw little more than a single half of actual football on Saturday
    A 90-minute match but only 47 minutes and 40 seconds of actual football.

At Turf Moor on Saturday, Burnley and West Brom played out a game in which the ball was in play for only 160 seconds more than it was out.

Though these are early days, no Premier League match so far this season has seen less action.

Two months ago, football's lawmakers revealed they were considering scrapping 45-minute halves, instead introducing two periods of 30 minutes, during which the clock would be stopped every time the ball went out.

The proposal, the International Football Association Board said, was one of a number of options to deter football's "negativities".

So would the rule have benefited supporters at Premier League matches so far this season? In a word, yes.

Of 19 top-flight games across the opening two weekends of the campaign, the ball has been in play for more than an hour in only two of them.

And no game has featured more than 61 minutes of play.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40993250

Not surprised at those figures OC, I knew you normally only get 55-60 minutes actual play in a game, and WBA were time wasting from the first minute. The man who could have done something about it was the referee, Martin Atkinson, but he wasn't interested, WBA players used every trick in the book, I don't need to list them, we all know them, but none of them stirred Atkinson into action, he blissfully ignored it all.

We do share some of the blame, why were our players not pointing it out to the ref, they seemed just as oblivious as Atlinson, but they must have been aware of what WBA were up to, a few complaints from our players would have galvanised Atkinson into doing his job, but not even Dyche seemed concerned.

The referee just allowed WBA to constantly waste time. It was shocking, it really was!

Typical Pulis, win at all costs and stuff the fans!

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    The referee just allowed WBA to constantly waste time. It was shocking, it really was!

The proposals would sort it!

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post

But can you blame Pulis BT, if it works, and with bone idle referees like Atkinson, just out for a quiet afternoon, it does work. I said to my mate after just ten minutes, 'with the way they're set up, and their time wasting, WBA will be well happy with a point', and they would have been, the win was a bonus. Tell you what though, they wouldn't have got away with it against a Fergie team at Old Trafford, he would have been right on the ref's back about it. Why wasn't Sean ?

Refunds for the home fans paid for by the away club

West Brom did exactly what we do whenever we are in the same position.
    Sean was in the ear of the fourth official and often is, as my good friend will testify, having been fourth official on several occasions at Burnley games. Unfortunately, it is all part and parcel of the game and always has been.

Quote Originally Posted by In Dyche We Trust View Post
    Refunds for the home fans paid for by the away club
    Or by the PL, they appoint the referees, the referee is responsible for timekeeping, not Pulis or the WBA players. They can waste all the time they like, it will make no difference if the ref adds it back on at the end. There's no need for any changes if the referees did their job properly, but the useless, preening ****ers can't be arsed.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    West Brom did exactly what we do whenever we are in the same position.
    I don't really agree with that SS6, all teams will try and run the clock down towards the end of a game when leading, or drawing away from home, and we can do it with the best of them. But this was on a different level altogether, blatant time wasting from the very first minute, on a scale I've never seen us attempt even in the last ten minutes of a game. I looked across at Sean on numerous occasions to see if he was complaining about it, I never saw him communicate anything to the ref or 4th official about it at any stage. If he did make any protest I must have missed it and I was sat opposite him. It was annoying me all through the game, but Sean never showed the slightest irritation about it that I saw, and neither did our players.

Sinkov
    The link to the story on here has a photo of Sean pointing to his watch.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)