+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Andy Carroll

Andy Carroll

not sure if this has been done tbh,

Newcastle are reportedly interested in luring Andy Carroll back to his boyhood club before the end of the transfer window on a season-long loan.

The Daily Mirror claims Toon manager Rafa Benitez is eyeing a swoop for the Premier League hitman, who’s on a massive £130,000-a-week at West Ham.

It is said that Carroll is not the only player Newcastle are looking to sign on loan from a London-based Premier League club, with Arsenal’s Jack Wilshere also high on the Toon’s shortlist.

Carroll is likely to have fallen down the pecking order at the London Stadium as he continues his nightmare battle with constant injuries, after the Hammers signed Javier Hernandez from Bayer Leverkusen.

Hernandez scored two goals on Saturday as West Ham lost 3-2 to Southampton, cementing his status as lead striker.

Here, This Is Futbol considers whether re-signing Carroll will prove beneficial this season, and whether a deal is likely to be completed.

Good move for Newcastle?

Benitez needs to add depth to his Newcastle squad in any way he can before the end of the transfer window, if the Toon are to have any chance of staying in the Premier League come May 2018.

Adam Armstrong and Daryl Murphy have both opted to remain in the Championship with new teams, depleting Benitez’s choices up front while Aleksander Mitrovic could still leave the club before September with his future in doubt.

That leaves just Dwight Gayle up front, who was plagued by numerous muscle injuries last season as the Toon gained promotion as champions.

Re-signing Carroll, who would give Newcastle something different up front due to his aerial prowess, is not only needed in terms of cover but is a must to boost the fans’ belief and enthusiasm on Tyneside.

The only potential downside – and it’s a significant one – is Carroll’s inability to stay fit.

Likely to happen?

Owner Mike Ashley has already splurged £30million on summer transfers and he is likely to be more willing to sanction a loan deal, without having to open his wallet to pay for a transfer fee.

However, Carroll’s enormous wages in east London would put any side off, let alone one that are tight for cash.

Benitez must look to come to some sort of arrangement with West Ham that could see both sides go half and half for the England international during the 2017-18 season.

A lot of persuading is needed, but there is no doubt that Carroll and Newcastle would love such a deal to occur, with West Ham boss Slaven Bilic likely to sanction a move too.

has been reported by more than 1 source so it could have legs!

stay safe all you Geordies
    john.

Cheers, John. Given the way we're not spending it would have to be one helluva deal to get round his wages. No doubt at all that we need another striker but, for me, not one with his injury record. On his day he can be unplayable but 'on his day' happens so infrequently it would be too much of a gamble.

If we end up with Carroll then we end up with him and there's not a lot we can do but hope he somehow has a miraculous recovery from his piled up sick note past.
    A loan deal would be a decent option with West Ham paying 50% of his wages.

Now here's where I am if I owned the club.
    I wouldn't have him back at this club unless he came back on a pay as you play basis on a quarter of what he is earning right now.
    Assuming he turned that down, which he would do so, obviously, then the only other way I'd have him back is if he paid in like the rest of the fans. Assuming he still is a fan of the club.

Is reported every transfer window as it's an easy one for the papers to do.

I can't see it happening, even less so with his wages.

Carroll and Wilshere? I suppose that'd keep our physios busy, plus they'd probably be good for the local economy with the amount of time and money they both spend on nights out...

Quote Originally Posted by Nephy View Post
    Carroll and Wilshere? I suppose that'd keep our physios busy, plus they'd probably be good for the local economy with the amount of time and money they both spend on nights out...
    Wilshere played 26 games last season for Bournemouth till he broke his leg, hardly injury plagued imo, as for wor andy? well thats something else...

Quote Originally Posted by Nephy View Post
    won't happen imo,
    yes he's a geordie in the true sense of the local region, but his wages and his injuries are a massive no for any club regardless of home loyalties!
    as said, on his day he's unbeatable, but how many of those days are there!!
    stay safe now
    john.

Quote Originally Posted by dagenhamJohn View Post
    as said, on his day he's unbeatable, but how many of those days are there!!
    stay safe now
    john.
    I think those days are well behind him, to be honest - he was on fire for us a few years back, but he has utterly lost his way and been an overpriced sicknote flop ever since. I'd possibly take him back free on a pay-as-he-plays basis, but anything else would be a foolhardy gamble. There's no way he deserves even half of his current salary and I doubt he'd take an enormous pay cut to return here given that a massive wage packet was one of his motivations for leaving.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)