+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: United 1 Leicester 4 - view from the sofa

Quote Originally Posted by GrayBlade View Post
    I do wish peeps would stop comparing the kid to Dean Hammond just because some lame brain said he looked like Hammond after 45 minutes in the preseason and after just 2 days with the club. He ****ed up royaly with their first gals and needs a kick up the arse for some of his tracking back but he's a kid and will need time to adapt. Dean Hammond FFS
    Oi! That lame brain was me

But to counter your argument, at least Dean Hammond had the excuse of being an ancient cart horse for his sluggishness. As you acknowledge Lundstram is a young lad - so why then is he soooooooo sloooooooowwwwww????

Quote Originally Posted by bulmer1889 View Post
    Thought baldock was promising considering he's missed most of pre season yes he was caught out of position a few times but when the 1st team play and freeman gets himself up there he's covered by a midfielder,last night we had no covering midfielders,Eastwood did ok despite the 4 conceded wasn't at fault for any was just left exposed. That's about it really on the subject of Brooks I posted weeks back about the expectation heaped on him from people who haven't seen him,the pressure is goin to mount on him by the looks of it and last night was a typical performance showed flashes lost it quite a bit,dint have the end product,that's not a criticism btw he's just a young lad learning his trade and when to take the right option he's a talent but no where near the finished article,some people will end up disappointed after originally expecting too much from him
    Decent summary bulmer. But everyone is pointing out no end product from Brooksy last night - does nobody recall the fact he was the only player to force a good save from the Leicester keeper??

Couldn't care less about the result last night. It's the performances that worried me. Pretty fair assessment on most players from the OP. Lundstram & Evans were awful...They looked like amateurs who'd won a competition to play for SUFC. Slow, couldn't pass, positioning awful, movement non existent. Lets be honest...we will not get the players in that we all want to see. The quality signings where millions need to be spent. It'll be hard driven deals for players with potential. Brooks on the other hand isn't potential....he showed last night he is the here and now and should start for us against Derby!

Quote Originally Posted by boltonblade View Post
    Couldn't care less about the result last night. It's the performances that worried me. Pretty fair assessment on most players from the OP. Lundstram & Evans were awful...They looked like amateurs who'd won a competition to play for SUFC. Slow, couldn't pass, positioning awful, movement non existent. Lets be honest...we will not get the players in that we all want to see. The quality signings where millions need to be spent. It'll be hard driven deals for players with potential. Brooks on the other hand isn't potential....he showed last night he is the here and now and should start for us against Derby!
    Who should Brooks replace,fleck,coutts ? The natural position is Duffy but last sat proved we need Duffy in to pull the strings,or do we push him up front alongside Billy which really isn't his game I suppose you could have both him and Duffy floating about behind Billy but he'd have to support him in the box as Duffy doesn't get that far forward,that's the only position I can see him fitting in

Quote Originally Posted by bulmer1889 View Post
    Who should Brooks replace,fleck,coutts ? The natural position is Duffy but last sat proved we need Duffy in to pull the strings,or do we push him up front alongside Billy which really isn't his game I suppose you could have both him and Duffy floating about behind Billy but he'd have to support him in the box as Duffy doesn't get that far forward,that's the only position I can see him fitting in
    coutts is first name on the team sheet for me so it wouldn't be him. I'd look to play a midfield 5 of Coutts, Fleck, Freeman, Duffy & Brooks on Saturday. Sharp up top and hope we can play a wide game with the overlaps and plenty of crosses into the box for billy to get onto. Brooks showed last night he's a talent. See i rate carruthers but he goes missing after 30 mins in every game unless he comes on as sub later on. Whats the deal with Thomas? not fit? attitude? not good enough?

Quote Originally Posted by boltonblade View Post
    coutts is first name on the team sheet for me so it wouldn't be him. I'd look to play a midfield 5 of Coutts, Fleck, Freeman, Duffy & Brooks on Saturday. Sharp up top and hope we can play a wide game with the overlaps and plenty of crosses into the box for billy to get onto. Brooks showed last night he's a talent. See i rate carruthers but he goes missing after 30 mins in every game unless he comes on as sub later on. Whats the deal with Thomas? not fit? attitude? not good enough?
    You can't drop Enda....he is starting to fit in nicely IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Chips1889 View Post
    You can't drop Enda....he is starting to fit in nicely IMO.
    Jury is still out for me. We need to go attacking against derby from the off......they'll be hoping to put 2/3 past us.

Agree re Brooks - he doesn't look strong enough to last 90 minutes - he was good last night, but he looked knackered towards the end.

If we are going to get any positives out of it - it was a learning curve and benchmark of the difference in speed and fitness between the two divisions....Leicester were quite simply quicker and fitter than us - I don't actually think their players were much better.

This is solvable if the players put the work in...and they need to. Carruthers is the prime example of somebody who needs to be 10-20% fitter than he currently is if he is going to make an impact. He has the ability, but will he put the work in?

Actually I am disappointed that we are not fitter than we are right now......they've had all summer....and if you look at Huddersfield last season - its clear that a lot of their success was down to their superior fitness.

Anyway - onwards and upwards - move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayamonteblade View Post
    Agree re Brooks - he doesn't look strong enough to last 90 minutes - he was good last night, but he looked knackered towards the end.

If we are going to get any positives out of it - it was a learning curve and benchmark of the difference in speed and fitness between the two divisions....Leicester were quite simply quicker and fitter than us - I don't actually think their players were much better.

This is solvable if the players put the work in...and they need to. Carruthers is the prime example of somebody who needs to be 10-20% fitter than he currently is if he is going to make an impact. He has the ability, but will he put the work in?

Actually I am disappointed that we are not fitter than we are right now......they've had all summer....and if you look at Huddersfield last season - its clear that a lot of their success was down to their superior fitness.

Anyway - onwards and upwards - move on.
    They were quicker than us no doubt abart that Monte,but i think it was more a case of our heads goin for 15 minutes than us not bein fit,and don't forget Baldock's been out since Marbella(5weeks) We need some pace as folk have been sayin for a while nar but i'm sure our Chris knows that also.I think Duffy had a very good game last Satdi and i'd start him and agree with the OP and you regardin BROOKSY,i've said for ages last 25 mins or so to run at tirin defenders is the way to go,it certainly gives me a big lift when i see the kid gerrin ready to come on.UTCB

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast